Pepperidge Farm eat your heart out!

Cooking secrets, tips, recipes and discussions featuring The Lakewood Observer's head chef, Chef Geoff (Jeff Endress), conversations about food, and restaurants.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Charyn Compeau

Pepperidge Farm eat your heart out!

Postby Charyn Compeau » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:47 pm

While we are on 'easy' cooking topics, I thought I'd share a nice quick recipe for turnovers.

While I use fresh fruits, you can use any pie filling that makes you happy if you dont have the time or inclination to prep the filling. If you are using prepared filling all you will need is puff pastry dough and a can of filling.

Ingredients:

1 package puff pastry - thawed (put in fridge the day before or follow package directions for quick thaw)

Apple fillling:
4 apples - granny smith is my favorite choice
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water

Preheat oven to 400

Melt the butter in a deep skillet and add brown sugar and cinnamon.

Keeping the butter sugar mixture on low, peel and slice apples adding to the melted butter and sugar as you go.

Once you have all of the apples cut up and added to the mixture turn the heat up a little bit and cook the apples until the are crisp tender. The juice from the apples will make the sugar sauce much runnier.

Mix the cornstarch and water and add it to the apples to thicken the sauce and remove from heat.

<<<<<<Start here if you are using a prepared filling>>>>>>>>

Unfold your puff pastry dough and cut the sheet into 4 squares (there are usually two sheets in the package from the grocery store for a total of 8 turnovers)

On each square put some apple filling and fold into a triangle, pinching the sides all around to seal the apples into the pastry

Lay your turnovers out on parchment paper (or lightly greased pan) and bake for about 25 minuntes, or until golden brown.

LET YOUR TURNOVERS COOL DOWN>>>> the filling is reallllllly hot and WILL burn you if you try to eat them straight out of the oven.

Enjoy!!

Return to “Lakewood Food / Restaurants”