Chef Geoff's Vegetarian Blog

Cooking secrets, tips, recipes and discussions featuring The Lakewood Observer's head chef, Chef Geoff (Jeff Endress), conversations about food, and restaurants.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:58 pm

well Lynn

Based on your suggestion, I went with the Morningstar.....got the tomato, basil, pizza flavor. Not anything like a burger, except for the shape, and it was sort of a surprise when I stumbled upon a slice of water chestnut in my burger Italiano (perhaps Marco Polo imported it to Italy along with pasta!)

But, having said that, it was not an unsatisfying meal (Speaking in double negatives is a trick a law professor taught me....while it means, "it was a satisfying meal" it is much less forceful! :wink:)

But I'm still sticking to it! Jeez...I think I lost a couple pounds......Even with all that cheese and the eggs? Interesting.

Jeff

To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue â€â€
Charyn Compeau

Postby Charyn Compeau » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:46 pm

Still waiting to hear about a quiche!

<vbg>

Seriously, thank you and all the others that are providing such wonderful information about no meat alternatives.

Always,
Charyn

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:30 am

Charyn

The quiche is coming. So is the souffle. I think what has been most interesting is being "forced" to think outside my normal culinary box. Old habits die hard, and my habit of starting a meal plan with the meat, then deciding what will go along side it on the plate has been a real excercise. It has always been so easy to think in terms of "Chicken and noodles" or "roast beef with mashed potatoes". When you remove the meat from the mix there's a large hole on the plate. Learning how to fill that hole is an interesting excercise.

My wife read a note from the Sunday Times that it requires some 8 pounds of corn feed to produce a pound of commercial beef, as well as thousands of gallons of water. Perhaps I can replace that serving of steak with 4 pounds of corn? :wink:

Jeff

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:41 am

I am inspired to try a steamed caulifower with curried yogurt sauce and roasted pine nuts.

And I'm hungry for Pad Thai (soy sauce for the fish sauce and marinated extra firm tofu).

And vegetarian lasagna... and grilled polenta with porto shrooms... and zuccini and summer squash sauteed in olive oil with basil, black pepper and parmesan cheese over noodles...

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:46 am

so last night was a particulary satisfying vegetarian exploit. I made a nice roasted red pepper sauce (more about roasting those peppers in upcoming column), with a dollop of cream, and a couple shots of white wine. Tossed in some jullienned roasted yellow peppers for color contrast, and tossed it with some potato gnoccui. Topped with some freshly grated regiano. It was really good, wish I had made more.

Just as a point of order in this experiment, brought on by some readers' comments. This is not a permanent state of affairs. If it changes my eating habits remains to be seen. But, I'll let you all know. And, while admittedly, my timing may suggest religious overtones, that was not my purpose.

Jeff

Justine Cooper

Postby Justine Cooper » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:51 am

Thank you for posting this Jeff. At a time when my teen recently became a vegetarian and I have cut out meat drastically for financial and health reasons, it comes at the perfect time for me. Keep posting the recipes! I am happy to say my four year old likes veggie burgers too!

This is a nice asset, so thanks Jeff!

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive" Dalai Lama
David Scott

Postby David Scott » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:44 pm

Cleveland Free Vegan Dinner & Eating Well:
Vegan Health & Nutrition Lecture
by Registered Dietitian Anya Todd RD, LD

Join Mercy For Animals for a delicious free vegetarian dinner, followed by an informative lecture on vegan health and nutrition lead by registered dietitian Anya Todd RD, LD. Anya received her BS in nutrition from Case Western Reserve University. Learn how a healthy meatless diet can help fight disease and prevent cancer. Free recipes and literature on adopting a vegetarian diet will be provided. The event is also guaranteed to be a wonderful opportunity to meet other local individuals interested in vegetarianism and animal protection.

Where: Cleveland Heights Library, 2345 Lee Rd., Cleveland Heights, OH
When: Thursday, March 29, from 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.

Sincerely,

Bridget Soeder
Cleveland Regional Coordinator
Mercy For Animals
www.MercyForAnimals.org
(440)785-8866

what happens to a dream deferred .......

maybe it just sags like a heavy load
or does it explode ?
- Langston Hughes
Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:46 am

Well, I'm still here. Last night, I created a wonderful quiche.....but, being a little concerned that the intake of cheese, eggs and cream might be putting in more fat than the absence of meat was removing, I opted for a lighter custard, using whole eggs and half and half, rather than yolks and heavy cream. The custard suffered, but nevertheless, it was a fine flan. Layered the bottom with chipolte cheddar, then about a 1/2 pound of sauteed mushrooms. It was a rushed night, so I opted for a prepared shell, and a box of frozen spinach (ALWAYS wring out all the water!). In went the custard, and on top a covering of swiss.

Very good. Seconds requested! Leftover mulagetawney and a salad filled out the meal (the soup got SOOOmuch better after aging a week in the frig.....but isn't that usually the case?).

Could this be the home stretch? Have to make dinner plans for Saturday and XO Prime is looking pretty good. Anyone have any thoughts?

Jeff

Charyn Compeau

Postby Charyn Compeau » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:30 am

How 'bout:

tamales (use chick peas, olives, sauced peppers, etc. for the filling)
vegetarian lasagna
a pilau w/ some vegetable curries?

Charyn

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:58 am

Hey! I already made suggestions!

Charyn Compeau

Postby Charyn Compeau » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:49 am

oops!!

I was busy trying to avoid the Pad Thai and forgot that you already mentioned veggie lasagana!

:wink:

I think he should make all of these suggestions...

... and post the recipes!

:lol:

Charyn

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:57 am

Actually, what I was thinking about, was not so much recipes, but more along the lines of whether I should make a reservation at XO Prime, and eat a huge Hunk O' Beef, or whether I should continue on this pathway of (gulp) enlightenment.

But, remember that public opinion is not necessarily a dictate (taking my lead on this from GWB), but I am curious.

Jeff

Charyn Compeau

Postby Charyn Compeau » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:32 am

I'd say that is a matter of personal belief.

People choose to be vegetarian for many reasons - from health, to cost, to beliefs about eating animals.

If you feel you make healthy choices in your overall diet, and don't have a moral objection to eating beef, pork, fish, etc. then eat what you like knowing that you don't 'have' to have meat for dinner if you don't want to.

As for the moral debate... I wouldn't go near that debate with a ten foot pole. There are two sides to it that will never agree so discourse would not be worth the animosity that would ensue (in my opinion).

I'll simply respect others beliefs in the hope that they will do the same.

**puts on her well worn flame retardant suit**

Charyn

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:13 am

Jeff-

I would hold off on eating a big chunk o' beef right off the bat. Your system may not appreciate it. I'd start adding meat back into your diet a little slowly at first.

We enjoy meatless meals. We don't think of it as a big deal. When you make a big change, like you did, you think about what you "can't have." Were you to have gone meatless a meal at a time or a day at a time, you would have gotten into the same kind of cooking rhythm that you had with your (formerly) regular diet.

I'm sure when you first became a chef, you didn't have the repertoire that you currently enjoy. It's the same for vegetarian cooking.

I'm not big on the meat substitutes. If we're not eating meat, then we're eating something that doesn't require it in the first place. There's a whole shift in thinking about food prep that comes with that.

I don't like traditional lasagna with meat and I never have, but I love veggie lasagna. My favorite squash & basil dish doesn't taste the same with chicken added. OTOH, if anyone tells you that carob is a great substitute for chocolate, they are taste-challenged (unless they are giving you hints for "mockolate" dog biscuits).

Whatever you decide to do is great. I'm sure a lot of readers would enjoy your newfound veggie favorites. It's so much easier if you choose a path because it's more delicious!

Return to “Lakewood Food / Restaurants”