Tilapia

Cooking secrets, tips, recipes and discussions featuring The Lakewood Observer's head chef, Chef Geoff (Jeff Endress), conversations about food, and restaurants.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Justine Cooper

Tilapia

Postby Justine Cooper » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:49 am

I buy the frozen Tilapia (yes from Marc's) because it is priced good and seems relatively healthy. I usually bread it with cornmeal or other breading and saute it in olive oil but I am getting really bored with that now. Any other good recipe ideas, light or heavy?

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:55 am

Costco has amazing chili-lime encrusted Tilapia.

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com
Danielle Masters

Postby Danielle Masters » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:19 pm

My family loves baked tilapia. I make lemon pepper flavored. Mix softened butter, fresh lemon juice (with a bit of the zest), parsley, salt and pepper and spread it on the fish and bake it for about 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees. It's quite good. BTW I buy my tilapia at Aldi's so don't feel bad about Marc's. The kids have to eat, so I'll save where I can.

Justine Cooper

Tilapia

Postby Justine Cooper » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:52 pm

Thank you, I will try that! Yes I shop at Nature's Bin and Marc's but I still spend too much! I need to bring some new recipes out too! The tilapia at Marc's is three or four dollars for a bag of four, so not bad and it tastes pretty good.

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:59 am

Justine-

There are a lot of herbs and spices that you can add to the breading that will give the fish a lot more variety.

Also, sauces are your friend if you make them with the right ingredients. There are a lot of ways to flavor plain yogurt to make a great sauce.

It's good to experiment.

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:43 am

It's good to experiment.

Always! Never be afraid to try a substitute. So many of our standards began as one cook approaching a basic recipe from a different angle.

As for the tilapia discussion, its such a versetile fish, there's no reason NOT to substitute it for fish in other recipes. Stuffed tilapia instead of sole
beer battered tilapia instead of cod....

Jeff

To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue â€â€
Justine Cooper

Tilapia

Postby Justine Cooper » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:58 pm

Thanks. Do you know any good starts for the yogurt sauce? I have some soy yogurt in the fridge now, would that work?

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive" Dalai Lama
dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:50 pm

Sure, why not?

You can add mustard or a curry mix or... pretty much whatever you want, since yogurt is very neutral. I probably wouldn't add those things to the soy yogurt, though...

ryan costa

tilapia

Postby ryan costa » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:58 am

K-Mart had a special sale of whole frozen tilapia a few weeks ago. 10 pounds for 10 dollars.

I enjoy grilling or broiling fish with just salt and a bit of oil or butter rubbed on, until the skin is crispy. This is then served with a covering of sauteed onions and a glass of tap water.

Justine Cooper

Tilapia

Postby Justine Cooper » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:04 am

That sounds quite healthy! (and good)

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive" Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood Food / Restaurants”