WWCGD

Cooking secrets, tips, recipes and discussions featuring The Lakewood Observer's head chef, Chef Geoff (Jeff Endress), conversations about food, and restaurants.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Tim Liston

WWCGD

Postby Tim Liston » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:05 pm

OK Chef Geoff....

Those of us who picked up our CSA shares have some questions. Well me anyways. First, what to do with the beets. There's' only two little ones. My inclination is to nuke them with a bit of water, skin and cube them, drizzle on some vinaigrette, and eat them that way. What else? Understand that my cooking skills are pretty simple. The beets had greens that I understand can be used like any salad greens. Any better suggestion? What else should I add that may be in my fridge or my pantry?

We got one onion, a white onion, no "skin", I presume I can just cut it up and use it like any other onion but I have an inclination to eat it like an apple. Any special uses?

One little yellow squash. How to I use something so small? Bake it with something else and do what?

We also got some mint. I have already made loads of tabbouleh with that. Stopped at Nature's Bin on the way home (by bike) for the parsley, scallions and tomatoes needed. Had the oil, lemon and tomato.

We also got something they called "lettuce" which I'm sure it was. I can handle that but I'm not sure exactly what kind of lettuce it was.

The full share big boys got broccoli, we all can handle that.

How about you go to the CSA pick up point on Thursdays, note what's in the bags and help us figure out how to deal with what we get? That's one great thing about the CSA, your Lakewood affiliation, and the adventure of cooking what's in the bags. Plus you, Chef Geoff, willing and able to guide us novices.

If you have a recipe that needs beets / an onion / some lettuce / mint / a tiny squash / (optionally) some brocolli, lay it on us.

Thanks....

Tim

PS today I'd be satisfied to know what to do with two beets.

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:01 pm

Tim
Beets are a great root vegetable. And, like all root vegetables, lots of sugar. I would recomend that you roast the little buggers, sort of what you would do with garlic, and then slice them oven a salad. Roasted beets are wonderful. Sweet, chewy, colorful. Wash, scrub, cut off the greens. Salt and pepper, roast in a 350 oven, covered for 30 mins., remove the cover, boost the heat to 400, and cook another 15-20 mins. Cool, and slice thinly on crisp romaine.

I'll get to the other stuff..it's late.

Jeff

To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue â€â€

Return to “Lakewood Food / Restaurants”