Smoked Ribs?

Cooking secrets, tips, recipes and discussions featuring The Lakewood Observer's head chef, Chef Geoff (Jeff Endress), conversations about food, and restaurants.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

dl meckes

Smoked Ribs?

Postby dl meckes » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:55 am

Does anybody know where we can find ribs that aren't baked, but actually see a smoker and/or flames? Ribs with an herb rub?

We have a friend from out of town who can't grasp the usual rib fare in NE Ohio and we're not really ribs people. I know we can find ribs at cook-offs or sometimes on the street, but he's looking for a restaurant that would provide the same fare as outdoor cooking.

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:00 am

DL

Try Bubba's in Avon, on 83. They have a massive smoker, and use applewood. Also have some nice "soul" sides, beyond the standard fries and slaw. Nice outdoor area, ala picnic grove, blues music. Not sure of the rub he uses, but the taste is really good. I think the 55 gallon drum/cookers out front are just for show, but who knows?

Jeff

To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue â€â€
David Lay

Postby David Lay » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:03 am

Bubba's is fantastic.

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com
dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:05 am

I forgot about Bubba's! Thanks for the reminder.

Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:52 pm

Tried Bubba's this week.

The pork was tender, not fatty, and the portion size was good. However, it did not have much of the smoked flavor I like in BBQ pork. Also, no sauce on the table. I prefer the meat to be cooked sans sauce and add it at the table. I asked for sauce and was presented with a very small side bowl with about 2 tablespoons of sauce. The waitress said they want you to buy the bottled sauce. :x

The sweet potato fries were greasy; way too much oil retained. They need to make the "fry" thicker, too. The cole slaw was good but the small dish was really small. The rolls and small cornbread muffins were nothing to write home about and the collard greens were tough.

My favorite BBQ place, aside from some wonderful southern places in Tennessee and Florida that I love, is City Barbeque in Columbus. Smoky, tender and rich meat. Corn bread pudding, greens with pork, and creamy slaw. The table has regular BBQ sauce, a hotter version, and the Lousiana vinegar sauce, which is vinegar, garlic, and hot pepper flakes. MMMmmm. Very resonably priced, too.

Return to “Lakewood Food / Restaurants”