Need zucchini recipes!

Cooking secrets, tips, recipes and discussions featuring The Lakewood Observer's head chef, Chef Geoff (Jeff Endress), conversations about food, and restaurants.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Justine Cooper

Postby Justine Cooper » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:27 am

I bet adding seasoning salt and parm cheese to bread crumbs would be good!!

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive" Dalai Lama
sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:48 am

It's one of those "you can do whatever you want" type of things.

My daughter adds garlic powder, she puts garlic in everything.
My son puts hot sauce in the milk.

Lynn Farris

Postby Lynn Farris » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:52 am

Thanks for the ideas. Should I assume we can use Patty Pan the same way?

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." ~ George Carlin
dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:51 pm

Thanks for the ideas!

I'm cooking zucchini boats right now and they already look delicious.

I needed some kick-starts and I'm feeling very enthusiastic about processing zucchini this weekend (and for many weekends to come) rather than overwhelmed!

sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:20 pm

You don't have to add anything to the breadcrumbs for crispness, but you can turn them over. My friends don't and there's come out okay.

Amy Dreger

Postby Amy Dreger » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:35 am

I made these last night with some of the mountains of zucchini had I from LEAF. They were so good - even my 5-year-old ate them. I served them with sour cream and also doubled the recipe as we had my parents over for dinner:

Zucchini Patties

INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups grated zucchini
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 1/4 cup chopped onion
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
* salt to taste
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

DIRECTIONS

1. In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, eggs, onion, flour, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and salt. Stir well enough to distribute ingredients evenly.
2. Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drop zucchini mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls, and cook for a few minutes on each side until golden.

Justine Cooper

Postby Justine Cooper » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:14 pm

I tried a similar recipe but without the two cheeses and I didn't like them that much so I will try these! Plus I realized if you make them too big it is hard to cook them right in the middle!! Thanks!

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive" Dalai Lama
Lynn Farris

Postby Lynn Farris » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:06 pm

Amy,

Thanks for the recipe, we tried it tonight and it was great. My daughter asked for 2nds - so I was happy.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." ~ George Carlin
Justine Cooper

Postby Justine Cooper » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:42 am

Amy,
I also tried the recipe yesterday and everyone loved it! This was much better than one I tried without the cheeses! And the smaller patties ensured they cooked all the way through! My sister in law asked for the recipe!! :)

Amy Dreger

Postby Amy Dreger » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:58 am

Oh, I am glad everyone liked it! I am planning on freezing some shredded zucchini so we can have this in the winter :)

stephen davis

Postby stephen davis » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:51 am

I slice zucchini, steam it, spread it out in a casserole or quiche pan, add a couple dabs of butter, sprinkle it with parmesan, and put it under the broiler until it gets crusty.

Very easy and tasty.

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street.
Used to be the heart of town.
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart.
You just gotta poke around.

Robert Hunter/Sometimes attributed to Ezra Pound.
lisa shaffer-gill

Postby lisa shaffer-gill » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:43 am

...of course I hit the wrong button. We've been able to make it several weeks running with only the veges from LEAF. I use
the giant onion
2 zucchini
1 eggplant
2-3 fresh chopped tomatoes (sometimes I peel them first)
a lot of garlic 3-5 cloves
about a 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
AND the best part, I toss in about a 1/3- 1/2cup of pitted Kalamata Olives.
Saute the onion for a minute or so in olive oil, add the eggplant and zucchini, continue to saute for a few minutes then add the other ingredients. Simmer on low heat for about a half hour or so. I've never used a recipe, it's one of those till it looks right recipes. It's really good with crunchy bread or over pasta. Check out our new favorite bread recipe. So easy, four ingredient no knead bread!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU

Justine Cooper

Postby Justine Cooper » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:58 am

OMG that video on bread was amazing! I can't believe how easy it looks. I am trying it tonight with my six yo! Thanks!

sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:58 pm

The bread baking video is wonderful. I was bummed because I couldn't do the kneading thing anymore with my ripped rotator cup.

I'm going tuesday to buy a lidded cast iron pot.

Thank you so much.

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde

Return to “Lakewood Food / Restaurants”