Need zucchini recipes!

Cooking secrets, tips, recipes and discussions featuring The Lakewood Observer's head chef, Chef Geoff (Jeff Endress), conversations about food, and restaurants.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:07 pm

Very cool...

Will have to give it a try when soup and bread season arrives!

Jeff

To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue â€â€
lisa shaffer-gill

Postby lisa shaffer-gill » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:50 pm

It's a great recipe for busy folks in general. Though the rising time seems like a lot, you can mix it up before bed and its ready just in time to pop in the oven for dinner the next evening. I've modified the recipe in a couple of ways and still had great success. The first is that I've replaced the 3/4 cup of the liquid with sourdough starter and omitted the yeast entirely. It's not quite as light and fluffy, but has that great sourdough taste and is still very tasty. Also, lately I've omitted the lay flat on a towel and "fold" step. I just stir the dough up in the bowl, and cover again for two more hours. Omitting this step has, for me, made no difference. And, friends of ours have had great success adding a variety of herbs. I'm thinking Asiago cheese would be quite good too-but I haven't tried that. Looking forward to bread reports!

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:40 pm

Ratatouille is a fantastic use of zucchini.

Watch for my in-the-works article, with recipe.

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com
Brad Hutchison

Postby Brad Hutchison » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:08 am

Summer Squash and Onion Soup with Toasted Almonds

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes ... 87,00.html

Naturally, my first ever post on the Deck is about food. I know this is an old thread, and I may be the only one to ever see my post, but I just made this soup last week and it came out great.

Don't overlook the importance of the almonds - with all the soft onions and squash, the crunchy texture is nice. A couple drops of Tabasco never hurt, either.

I made mine with about half zucchini and half pattypan, but there's no reason you couldn't use all one type.

This soup was even better reheated after a few days.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

-Gandhi

Return to “Lakewood Food / Restaurants”