Chef Jeff (Varasano) Pizza - Attn: Chefs Ken & Geoff

Cooking secrets, tips, recipes and discussions featuring The Lakewood Observer's head chef, Chef Geoff (Jeff Endress), conversations about food, and restaurants.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

stephen davis

Chef Jeff (Varasano) Pizza - Attn: Chefs Ken & Geoff

Postby stephen davis » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:31 am

Ken Warren complains that there is no good pizza in Ohio. I disagree, but I do understand his allegiance to a particular style of pizza. He prefers the original Neopolitan style pizza, emphasis on crust and sauce, no toppings to speak of.

The closest I've had to this type of pizza was in State College, PA. It was delicious. It was baked in a wood fired oven with the proper char and light crust. I'm sure I ruined it, to Ken's way of thinking, by adding interesting toppings.

A friend of mine forwarded this link to the most comprehensive guide to making and buying (Not in Ohio) the perfect Ken Warren pizza. It is fascinating. It's a science to make a simple flatbread with tomato, cheese, and basil.

http://www.think2020.com/jv/pizza.htm

I wish we had a place in Lakewood that could produce this kind of pizza. I would probably order it at least 10 percent of the time. Because I believe in evolution, I think there are lots of variations on the pizza theme that are equally delicious.

Makes me think about the conversations between Chef Geoff, Ken, and me about a pizza cook-off. Because pizza involves tradition and philosophy, like religion and politics, I think we should forget the contest and just get together share our favorites home made pizzas with with a small group and just enjoy.

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street.
Used to be the heart of town.
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart.
You just gotta poke around.

Robert Hunter/Sometimes attributed to Ezra Pound.
dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:24 am

What an incredible resource piece! Thanks for the link.

Phil Florian

Postby Phil Florian » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:03 am

There was a great wood-fired pizza place in Cincinnati that might fit Ken's needs. It was near UC but the name escapes me. My favorite pizza of late would be the Brier Hill pizza from the Youngstown area. Uses romano instead of mozzarella and has only sauce and bell peppers as topping. But it is absolutely the best. No one around here (to my knowledge) makes this kind of pizza, either.

I wonder, with the Neapolitan or Brier Hill, if there is a pizza joint that, if asked nicely, would try such a recipe? Maybe Italian Creations or some such.

Return to “Lakewood Food / Restaurants”