Ohio Sweet Corn

Cooking secrets, tips, recipes and discussions featuring The Lakewood Observer's head chef, Chef Geoff (Jeff Endress), conversations about food, and restaurants.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

sharon kinsella

Ohio Sweet Corn

Postby sharon kinsella » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:50 pm

Just wanted to say that I had three ears of Ohio Sweet Corn for supper. No meat or potatoes or anything else.

Just the corn.

There is NOTHING better in August than Ohio Sweet Corn.

Unless you add slices of Beefstead tomatoes.

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:19 am

Sharon

Indeed! Nothing is more enjoyable then REALLY fresh sweet corn, and now is the time. I've been able to harvest about 3 dozen ears (some on the small side) from my garden. Unfortunately, the squirrel who took up residence has harvested an equal amount....I'm not opposed to sharing, but I'd be happier if she would just take the tomatoes.

Jeff

To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue â€â€
Lynn Farris

Postby Lynn Farris » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:10 am

We've been experimenting with some of the CSA recipes for corn on the cob.

I think we have grilled most of our corn this summer. One of the ideas that was really good was to mix sour cream and cayenne pepper and use it instead of butter.

They also suggested lime butter- which I want to try. You are right these may be my 2 favorite vegetables. :)

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." ~ George Carlin
Lynn Farris

Postby Lynn Farris » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:53 pm

Learned a new way to make corn quicly. Put it husk and all into the microwave for 4 minutes. Comes out great.

Not for all you gourmets - but for those of us who are tired after work and want to fix dinner quickly.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." ~ George Carlin
sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:58 pm

Thanks Lynn - I'm going to try and grab some this weekend - probably almost the last of it, but I will definitely try this. Probably easier to husk this way too!

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde
dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:19 pm

I don't like doing it in the husk, so I wrap each ear in cling wrap (leaving the ends open) and do about 2 min per ear, turning the ear halfway through.

You can tell by looking at it whether or not it's done. It's also VERY hot. I assume you can also do it with waxed paper or a moist paper towel if you don't want to do plastic.

Return to “Lakewood Food / Restaurants”