La Pita-Suggestions Wanted!

Cooking secrets, tips, recipes and discussions featuring The Lakewood Observer's head chef, Chef Geoff (Jeff Endress), conversations about food, and restaurants.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Esther Hazlett

La Pita-Suggestions Wanted!

Postby Esther Hazlett » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:48 pm

I am going to try to make my first visit to La Pita tomorrow (9/21) after work for some takeout.

I know that this place is a favorite of many who post here, and, since I will be going in without ever having looked at a menu, I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on what to try.

Thanks!

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:48 pm

The Baba is great, if you like eggplant. The grape leaves, also very good. His prices are so reasonable you can try a bunch of stuff. If you opt for any rolles sandwiches (all are great bets) get 'em loaded with everything....

Jeff

To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue â€â€
dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:05 pm

I don't care for the fries, so I ask for rice. I especially like the chicken dishes, although the falafel is good. I think it's a shish tawook that I like the best.

Tim Liston

Postby Tim Liston » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:15 am

I get the falafel sandwich (rolled) with the works. Yummy. My oldest plays soccer at St. Ed's once or twice a week and I save my calories on those days for La Pita. Now that Detroit is mostly put back together, access is better, though bike parking is difficult at best and that poor little sapling right out front is already damaged.

Kenneth Warren

Postby Kenneth Warren » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:40 pm

There are many excellent choices at La Pita Express.

I can eat there three days in a row, which is quite a testament to versatility and consistency, and I will this week.

I buy a range of things rather than the combo platter. The combo platter are great and can be made to suit, I believe.

I give you my favorites:

Yesterday I had:

Fried Kibbee (chopped lamb, cracked wheat pine nuts and spices) These are $1.25 each – excellent.
Hummus
Falaffel Sandwich

Today I had:

Beef schwarma
Hummus
Falaffel balls

Lamb is terrific.

Chicken schwarma is great.

I believe tomorrow (Friday) he will be making a special of beef and green beans – which is fabulous.

I have used La Pita for a party of 70.

I truly believe La Pita Express is the finest quality and value you will in the region. To have a distinctive shop like this in Lakewood is pure gold for the city.

Kenneth Warren

Chris Karel

Postby Chris Karel » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:17 am

I finally found La Pita and ate there last week. It lived up to the LO hype. I have long-loved Mediterannean/Middle Eastern food.

I had the Falafel sandwich and the Fatoush salad. Both were excellent and the prices were great. I loved the pickled root veggies on the falafel. I will definitely eat there again and again and again!

Thanks for the info!

Return to “Lakewood Food / Restaurants”