Melting Pot-Fondue Fun for Everyone?

Cooking secrets, tips, recipes and discussions featuring The Lakewood Observer's head chef, Chef Geoff (Jeff Endress), conversations about food, and restaurants.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Phil Florian

Melting Pot-Fondue Fun for Everyone?

Postby Phil Florian » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:58 pm

Hey!

My wife really wants to do a fondue restaurant for her b-day coming up. The only one I know about is the Melting Pot and it is waaay out East. I know one is coming to this side of town but that will be a bit too late (they said May at the earliest). Any other place do this closer to Lakewood? Or should I just borrow about 20 fondue pots and rent a hall? :-)

Any ideas? Or just go with Melting Pot?

Thanks!

Phil

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:01 pm

I hear that Melting Pot is good, but can be pricey:

http://tinyurl.com/3andt5

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com
Phil Florian

Postby Phil Florian » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:32 pm

I totally agree...pricey. Ugh. But, it is a big b-day so you gotta do what you gotta do! :D I just would like to keep it closer to home (and closer to everyone attending, too).

sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:06 pm

I can't even believe that fondues are fashionable again.

In the 70's every single "adult" party I went to had a couple of these going.

I think I have pitched at least 5 sets. No one wanted them and I don't even remember how I got them. Well, that may actually be another thread one another forum.

Suffice it to say that they were over used and underwhelming.

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde
David Lay

Postby David Lay » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:10 pm

Phil Florian wrote:I totally agree...pricey. Ugh. But, it is a big b-day so you gotta do what you gotta do! :D I just would like to keep it closer to home (and closer to everyone attending, too).

If it were me, I'd take her to Three Birds, Fire, or Lola...you'd spend just as much as the Melting Pot and get a MUCH better meal.

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:10 pm

David

You are spot on my friend! Even when the Westside location opens in Westgate it won't be on my "gotta go" list. It isn't a good value (and by that I only mean that for top shelf costs you should have top shelf food, ambiance and service). Fondue can be fun, but fondue restaurants always struck me like those places that cropped up in the late 70's where you could grill your own steak..... Hell, if I wanted to cook my own meal, I'd fire up the Garland and do it at home.

If you want table-side cooking go to Swingos on the Lake.

If it's a special occasion, go to Baracelli, or, of course Lola's, if you can get a reservation before Spring.

But, having said all that, if ya gotta do what ya gotta do, I think it's the only game in town. There was one out in Metor, not sure if its still there. THere's also a "steak on a stone" place...kind the same idea, only you cook your own on a super heated rock, and not in boiling oil or stock.

Jeff

To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue â€â€
David Lay

Postby David Lay » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:27 pm

Jeff Endress wrote:If it's a special occasion, go to Baracelli, or, of course Lola's, if you can get a reservation before Spring.

Lola (as well as many restaurants in the area) take reservations online via Opentable. http://www.opentable.com

I took Jennie to Fire a year ago, and we loved it - one of the best meals I've had, for sure.

Jim DeVito

Postby Jim DeVito » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:45 pm

As a side note David, Cleveland Independents Is a list of... Well just that Cleveland Independent restaurants. They offer discounts gift certificates as well as links to the restaurants who offer reservations through Open Table.

**Disclaimer: As I do tech support for a third party player who does tech support for Cleveland Independents. I do not work with them directly as a client. Thus I have no monetary interest in promoting their services. If that makes any sense. :lol:

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:53 pm

Cleveland Independents is great - especially the Four Tuesdays program!

c. dawson

Postby c. dawson » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:20 pm

If you want the REAL fondue experience, you gotta go to Potpurri Gallery in Mentor ... they've been doing fondue since the 1970s. I don't think they've ever changed the place since then, either. Probably haven't even cleaned it since then!

Lynn Farris

Postby Lynn Farris » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:09 am

FWIW, my son loves the Melting Pot. He and his girlfriend go there for special occasions. (I haven't been there, but would like to go.)

They have solved the price problem by going either for appetizers or for dessert. They skip the main course.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." ~ George Carlin
Phil Florian

Postby Phil Florian » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:55 am

Thanks for the advice...I agree, some other local places would be nice but you gotta do what you gotta do. I am going to check out the fondue place in Mentor, too. That sounds groovy. Maybe get a group rate or something.

Return to “Lakewood Food / Restaurants”