Growing spices

Cooking secrets, tips, recipes and discussions featuring The Lakewood Observer's head chef, Chef Geoff (Jeff Endress), conversations about food, and restaurants.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Phil Florian

Growing spices

Postby Phil Florian » Tue May 13, 2008 7:01 pm

Hey Chef!

My wife bought me three little bowls for growing spices in our kitchen. Query: What are the three best spices to grow at home for versatility, ease of growth, and re-usability?

Thanks!

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Tue May 13, 2008 8:18 pm

I think I need four: chives, flat leaf parsley, lemon thyme and basil.

I think basil is hard to grow indoors, but maybe it's just me.

“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45
Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Wed May 14, 2008 7:07 am

I also have a hard thyme growing herbs indoors...more as a result of cats that think they are gardeners then from lack of light!

But, if I had to choose only 3, I'd go with standard sweet basil, lemon thyme and and either marjoram or oregano......

Jeff

To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue â€â€
Phil Florian

Postby Phil Florian » Wed May 14, 2008 7:51 am

Thanks! I will give these a whirl. Even the basil. :-) I will probably choose oregano over majoram as I have never used majoram (see "Cooking Basics" post to see why...no skills, yet!).

Much appreciated!

Phil

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Wed May 14, 2008 12:16 pm

Most herbs and spices develop flavor if they have a chance to be part of a marinade of some sort.

If you buy some marjoram, put a tablespoon or two into a small container and add an equivalent amount of cooking oil. Make sure the herb is coated with the oil, cover it & put it in the fridge overnight.

Get some small spuds- russets or fingerlings - coat them with the herbs and oil mix and roast them. You'll get a really good idea of how the herbs taste.

Eventually, you will have a good idea of how herbs work together.

This also works really well on roasted or baked chicken.

I'm using the term roasting and baking interchangeably in this scenario.

“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45
Brad Hutchison

Postby Brad Hutchison » Wed May 14, 2008 12:37 pm

Jeff Endress wrote:I also have a hard thyme growing herbs indoors...

Yikes.

I always do basil and rosemary. Just do things you like and use a lot, otherwise you just end up with a huge bush that you chuck at the end of the season.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

-Gandhi

Return to “Lakewood Food / Restaurants”