Need some garden vegetable meal ideas

Cooking secrets, tips, recipes and discussions featuring The Lakewood Observer's head chef, Chef Geoff (Jeff Endress), conversations about food, and restaurants.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

J Hrlec

Need some garden vegetable meal ideas

Postby J Hrlec » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:51 pm

I decided to grow a garden this year since I now own a house instead of rent... however I have no idea what to make with the items grown. Any favorite recipes for the using the following items?

- Zucchini
- Green Beans
- Bell Peppers

Tim Liston

Postby Tim Liston » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:21 pm

You know I asked the Chef the same question a couple summers ago when the CSA was providing more vegetables than I could possibly handle. Didn't get an answer.

Don't know about you but in my mind the answer needs to be something like this....

"Cut all the vegetables into little pieces, spread into a baking pan, add "x" mix it all up and bake at "y" degrees for "z" minutes. "X" maybe cheese, bread, crumbs, noodles, mushrooms, whatever.

Just need to know what x, y and z is. The simpler the better....

Lay it on me Chef.....

Brad Hutchison

Postby Brad Hutchison » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:49 pm

I'll have to get my wife's - which I think is my mom's - zucchini bread recipe.

Green beans I love as a side. Just sautee some bacon and onions in a little butter or olive oil (or both!) until the bacon is crispy, then throw in the green beans and toss until they're warm but still crisp. Just a little salt and fresh ground pepper...

Bell peppers can go in a million things, of course, but they're great as a side in one-inch strips with steak or pork chops. Toss in olive oil, salt, and pepper, then throw on the grill for a couple minutes.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

-Gandhi
dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:24 am

Zucchini stuffed Bell Peppers!

For some zucchini ideas, look at http://basic-recipes.com/veget/zucchini.htm.

We really enjoyed zucchini boats - stuffed zucchini halves - that were suggested here some time ago.

Shredding and freezing zucchini is also a good way to save some for later (in winter soups).

Grilled zucchini is wonderful - marinate in a vinaigrette dressing (or Italian, if that's what you have on hand). I'm a big fan of grilling and freezing food.

Bell peppers can be stuffed with a variety of things and we're going to be enjoying one of our peppers stuffed with grilled chicken salad.

You can blanch the beans and freeze them, too.

Salads with tomatoes, green onions and green beans with Buffalo mozzarella and fresh basil are the essence of summer.

“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45
Amy Dreger

Postby Amy Dreger » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm

These are two of my favorite zucchini recipes:

Zucchini Oven Chips

Ingredients

1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons milk
2 1/2 cups (1/4-inch-thick) slices zucchini (about 2 small)
Cooking spray
Preparation
Preheat oven to 425°.

Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Place milk in a shallow bowl. Dip zucchini slices in milk, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place coated slices on an ovenproof wire rack coated with cooking spray; place rack on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until browned and crisp. Serve immediately. (i served mine with lite ranch dressing for dipping)

Zucchini Patties

I make these with some of the mountains of zucchini get every year. They are so good - even my kids eat them. I serve them with sour cream:

INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups grated zucchini
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 1/4 cup chopped onion
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
* salt to taste
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

DIRECTIONS

1. In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, eggs, onion, flour, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and salt. Stir well enough to distribute ingredients evenly.
2. Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drop zucchini mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls, and cook for a few minutes on each side until golden.[/u]

Return to “Lakewood Food / Restaurants”