Olive oil

Cooking secrets, tips, recipes and discussions featuring The Lakewood Observer's head chef, Chef Geoff (Jeff Endress), conversations about food, and restaurants.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

John Guscott

Olive oil

Postby John Guscott » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:16 pm

I'm a big fan of olive oil (love it on everything, and will even just eat it straight), and want to ask others here in Lakewood what brands out there should I try?

What stores have a good selection, what brand are most fresh, etc.?

Lynn Farris

Postby Lynn Farris » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:59 pm

I'll leave others to answer the best Olive Oil, but last year for Christmas we made baskets for the family with wine, olive oil and all the fixings for a pesto pasta dinner.

One of the things we did was to buy a pretty decantor for the olive oil and put herbs in it to soak. Not only was it pretty, but it added nice flavors to the olive oil. Just a fun idea that you can try if you like flavored olive oil.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." ~ George Carlin
Brad Hutchison

Re: Olive oil

Postby Brad Hutchison » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:51 pm

The Crocker Park farmer's market has a place called The Olive Tap with a great selection of olive oils and balsamic vinegars.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

-Gandhi
dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:50 pm

The One. Gallucci's. You'll find the olive oil bar.

http://www.gustgallucci.com/

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:51 am

For anyone that wants to learn more about Olive Oil (and good food in general) should get The Zingerman's Guide to Good Eating, if you don't already have it. There's a big section on Olive Oil.

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com
J Hrlec

Postby J Hrlec » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:50 am

I like Olive oil on many things also, but i never buy anything too expensive... I just get the Giant Eagle Market brand. :wink:

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:00 am

J Hrlec wrote:I like Olive oil on many things also, but i never buy anything too expensive... I just get the Giant Eagle Market brand. :wink:

You're missing out. Tasting *good* Olive Oil is awe-inspiring, much like tasting real Parmigiano-Reggiano for the first time.

Try Colavita Olive Oil - it's a major upgrade from store brand, and won't kill your bank account either. http://colavita.com/

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com
J Hrlec

Postby J Hrlec » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:04 am

David Lay wrote:
J Hrlec wrote:I like Olive oil on many things also, but i never buy anything too expensive... I just get the Giant Eagle Market brand. :wink:

You're missing out. Tasting *good* Olive Oil is awe-inspiring, much like tasting real Parmigiano-Reggiano for the first time.

Try Colavita Olive Oil - it's a major upgrade from store brand, and won't kill your bank account either. http://colavita.com/

Cool, thanks for the recommendation!

Brad Hutchison

Postby Brad Hutchison » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:39 am

Good Olive Oils That Don't Cost a Fortune

Came across this article today and remembered this post.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

-Gandhi
sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:15 pm

I use the Goya and it's a great cooking EVOO. I saute with it several times a week.

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde
Will Brown

Postby Will Brown » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:23 pm

Many say that using the better olive oils for cooking is a waste, as the heat of the cooking destroys the finer tastes of the best oils. For consumption without cooking, of course, you want the best you can get.

Society in every state is a blessing, but the Government even in its best state is but a necessary evil...

Return to “Lakewood Food / Restaurants”