"Make Mine (A) Manhattan"

Cooking secrets, tips, recipes and discussions featuring The Lakewood Observer's head chef, Chef Geoff (Jeff Endress), conversations about food, and restaurants.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

stephen davis

"Make Mine (A) Manhattan"

Postby stephen davis » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:37 am

Chef Geoff,

I read your Manhattan article in the February 10, Lakewood Observer.

My father had a small sterling silver pitcher with a lid and a corked pouring spout. Every Thanksgiving and Christmas, he would fill this pitcher with Manhattans, and put it in the freezer. He seemed to know the right time to proudly shake, then pour, the almost syrupy mixture into frozen glasses. Everyone participated, even me as a teenager. I honestly can’t remember if he ever added ice. He died almost 22 years ago, so the details escape me, but my father, that Manhattan flavor, and the ice cold, yet seemingly white hot alcohol, are a permanently imprinted overlay on my holiday memories.

My father was convinced that a Manhattan had to be made with a bonded bourbon. His choice was always 100 proof Old Grand-Dad. Of course, he used sweet vermouth and bitters, but oddly, he never added a cherry. I never knew his ratio of bourbon to vermouth. I don’t ever remember him drinking a Manhattan other than the ones he mixed for the holidays.

Because my father kind of made a ritual of the whole Manhattan thing, I have never made or ordered a Manhattan. It sort of seemed inappropriate, like it would cheapen his efforts and my memories.

After he died, I just figured the Manhattan tradition was over, and didn’t give it much thought until years later, when I found out that my sister has his pitcher, and makes his recipe every holiday. Apparently, she had helped him make them a couple of times. She even knew the exact measure for the bitters in a large mix.

After I told my sister that I missed Dad’s Manhattans, she started mailing me a Ball jar full of them every Christmas. What a treat! I put the jar in the freezer, and only pour sips on cold nights when I have time to reflect. It’s a little celebration of memories.

Last year, I asked my sister how she makes the Manhattans. Some of the magic was lost when she said the recipe is right on the Angostura bitters bottle. Before Thanksgiving, I bought a bottle of bitters, some Stock sweet vermouth, and a bottle of bourbon (Not Old Grand-Dad.). I really thought I’d make some, but never got around to it. I knew my sister would come through with exactly what I wanted.

My package never came. In January, I asked my sister about my annual gift, and she said, “Oh, I thought you were going to make them.â€

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street.
Used to be the heart of town.
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart.
You just gotta poke around.

Robert Hunter/Sometimes attributed to Ezra Pound.
stephen davis

Postby stephen davis » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:49 am

Geoff,

By the way, I found a page of reviews of Old Grand-Dad on bourbonenthusiast.com. It is full of misspellings, bad punctuation, and cryptic word usage and order.

I figure they must do these reviews under the influence. Pretty funny.

Steve

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street.
Used to be the heart of town.
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart.
You just gotta poke around.

Robert Hunter/Sometimes attributed to Ezra Pound.
Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:41 pm

Steve---Such a great post on how a drink can bring out so many memories.

Might I suggest, with all due respect, that you leave the mixing of this cocktail which is so evidently important to you, in the capable hands of your sister.

Don't try to re engineer (re recipe) the formula.

Hang onto those memories with your sister's batch and pick a new drink for something new!

Stan

Return to “Lakewood Food / Restaurants”