Pork Belly?

Cooking secrets, tips, recipes and discussions featuring The Lakewood Observer's head chef, Chef Geoff (Jeff Endress), conversations about food, and restaurants.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

David Lay

Pork Belly?

Postby David Lay » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:00 am

Anyone have any suggestions where to get a Pork Belly? After reading Michael Ruhlman's book Charcuterie, I want to try my hand at making my own bacon...

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com
Hank Trefethen

Re: Pork Belly?

Postby Hank Trefethen » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:13 pm

Any luck at the west side market? I seem to remember seeing all kinds special pork items there.

By the way how is that book? Been thinking about getting that one myself.

Also there is a mexican market on 122/4th and Lorain with abutcher in the back. I've heard they can be a good source for hard to find stuff like that.

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:28 am

A few people have suggested The West Side Market. I'll give that a shot and report back.

Charcuterie is a great book; I'd say it's required reading for anyone who's into cured meats. Lots of good info, recipes, and awesome photos. Michael Ruhlman is an excellent food writer - his books are definitely required reading for any foodie. I'd also recommend The Zingerman's Guide to Good Eating, and, if you're love bacon as much as I do, The Zingerman's Guide to Better Bacon. Both are full of lots of good info and recipes.

Thanks for the suggestion, Hank!

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:40 pm

There are SO many people who have never heard that particular pejorative...

“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45
Hank Trefethen

Postby Hank Trefethen » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:36 pm

Well...I didn't realize that was such a derogatory term. Hope no one is offended! :) I just thought particular scene caught a priceless mix unique personalities, falls into the "you can't make this stuff up" category.

Brad Hutchison

Postby Brad Hutchison » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:26 pm

David Lay wrote:Anyone have any suggestions where to get a Pork Belly? After reading Michael Ruhlman's book Charcuterie, I want to try my hand at making my own bacon...

I'd think any legit butcher shop could hook you up.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

-Gandhi
Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:51 pm

I always loved bacon. Forty years ago it seemed to be simple --thin or thick sliced.

Nowdays, with all the chemicals and stuff, I just don't think bacon is a good concept.

Maybe the Bohunks knew how to do it.

Love to have some safe, hunky dory bacon.

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:50 am

Stan Austin wrote:I always loved bacon. Forty years ago it seemed to be simple --thin or thick sliced.

Nowdays, with all the chemicals and stuff, I just don't think bacon is a good concept.

Maybe the Bohunks knew how to do it.

Love to have some safe, hunky dory bacon.

Try Niman Ranch bacon. It's made the old way, without all the chemicals. Made in Iowa. You can get it at Trader Joe's.

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:00 am

I haven't tried it yet. I'm visiting Zingerman's this weekend, and after picking up a copy of The Zingerman's Guide to Better Bacon, I think I'm going to give it a shot.

I've been advised that Zingerman's will be quite busy this weekend, as the Michigan/Notre Dame game is on Saturday afternoon...hopefully I'll still be able to meet Ari Weinzweig and talk bacon!

Hank Trefethen

Postby Hank Trefethen » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:29 am

Zingerman;'s is that famous Deli out by UofM right? I've heard some good things about them, from this Small Giants(since we're linking books). Have fun!

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:11 am

Hank Trefethen wrote:Zingerman;'s is that famous Deli out by UofM right? I've heard some good things about them, from this Small Giants(since we're linking books). Have fun!

You are correct. Their food is AMAZING (I mail order from them quite frequently) and they have unparalleled customer service. I'm planning an article for the LO on my visit; be on the lookout for it!

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:37 am

In just over 24 hours, I'll be sinking my teeth into one of these. To say I'm giddy with excitement is an understatement.

Return to “Lakewood Food / Restaurants”