First Annual End Hunger in Lakewood Day

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:59 am

Lakewood’s culinary community comes together to help feed the hungry

On Saturday November 10, 2018, 34 Lakewood restaurants and food retailers will donate 10% of their day’s food sales to benefit the work Lakewood Community Services Center (LCSC) does to alleviate hunger for over 6,500 Lakewood residents every year. Spearheaded by Matt Fish, owner and founder of Melt Bar and Grilled, this community-wide effort will make a huge impact on the amount of healthy food LCSC can provide to those in need.

“I am honored to be part of this amazing restaurant community,” says Fish. “Learning that 14% of Lakewood’s population lives at or below the poverty line and relies on receiving emergency food came as a shock and compelled me to reach out to my colleagues to help in any way we can.” The response from the community for this first-ever event has been incredible, but not surprising according to Trish Rooney, LCSC’s executive director. “In the 10 years I have had the privilege of heading the organization, one thing has been clear: Lakewood is a community that is committed to taking care of its own.” The number of individuals and families who need food support spiked in 2009 as a direct result of the recession. That number has remained steady ever since with between 1,800 – 2,000 Lakewood residents receiving free emergency food at LCSC every month. “We are fortunate to receive county funding for food, support from United Way of Greater Cleveland and help from local retailers, individuals and churches who regularly donate to us,” says Rooney. “But this outpouring of support from the culinary community will allow us to purchase fresh fruit and vegetables, which are critical to the health and well being of the members of the community who rely on us for food.”

You can help by dining at one – or more - of the participating locations (list attached) on Saturday, November 10th. There is no shortage of fantastic restaurants in town, so show your support for our local restaurants and for those in the community who need our help the most.

About LCSC: Founded in 1982, LCSC provides emergency food at its pantry location Monday-Friday as well as door-to-door delivery of emergency food to seniors in four subsidized Lakewood senior buildings every month, a free monthly farmers market and a free summer lunch program to income-qualified Lakewood residents. In addition to emergency food, LCSC offers case management, homelessness prevention, emergency shelter, on-site mental health services and a workforce program in collaboration with community partners Murtis Taylor Human Services System and The Centers El Barrio.

About Melt Bar and Grilled: Melt Bar and Grilled is an independently owned and operated restaurant group based in Cleveland, Ohio.  Melt was created in 2006 by owner/founder Matt Fish with the simple goal of providing great food and awesome craft beers in a very fun and unique atmosphere. Melt has grown from its humble small storefront beginnings to multiple regional locations with more organic growth planned. Melt continues to grow and prosper because of The Melt Family – the amazing staff and management team.

Participating Locations
Aladdin’s Eatery
Around the Corner
Barrio
Blackbird Baking Company
Cleveland Vegan
Deagan’s Kitchen & Bar
Dewey’s Pizza
Fear’s Confections
Forage Public House
Georgetown
Greek Village Grille
Gray Dog Diner
Harlow’s Pizza
Harry Buffalo
Humble Wine Bar
Ice Cream Joy
India Garden
Italian Creations*
Little Lakewood Pasta Company
LBM
Mad Mac’s
Mahall’s 20 Lanes
Malley’s Chocolates*
Melt Bar and Grilled
Rood Food & Pie
Salt+
Sarita a Restaurant
SouperMarket
Sweet Amelia’s
Taco Tonto
Thai Thai
The Root Café
Vosh
West End Tavern*
Woodstock BBQ
Yuzu

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
dl meckes

Re: First Annual End Hunger in Lakewood Day

Postby dl meckes » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:49 pm

What do the asterisks mean?

“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45
Jim O'Bryan

Re: First Annual End Hunger in Lakewood Day

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:37 pm

dl meckes wrote:What do the asterisks mean?

That means they have already donated $$$$$ to the event.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”