Chickens Legal In Lakewood...

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

marklingm

Re: Chickens Legal In Lakewood...

Postby marklingm » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:11 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:I really think it comes down to the kind of poll the Donner Party would take everyday.

Wow. You really are getting philosophical, Jim.

City Hall is making us choose between Bike Nights at Lakewood’s Quaker Steak & Lube® and cannibalism?

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:22 pm

Back on topic ...

From March 5, 2009:

Kate Spirgen wrote:Michael Summers, Ward 3 councilman and housing committee member, noted that chickens are only one avenue the city could take to urban agriculture and suggested that those interested in exploring organic food examine other possibilities.

"We've got a lot of serious compelling issues facing us with finite resources for things like inspection," he said. "I don't think we want to spend our time on this in 2009, given other compelling issues, particularly regarding housing. We have to think about the trade off in terms of other housing related issues and the resources we have."

http://www.cleveland.com/lakewoodsunpost/news/index.ssf?/base/news-0/123626055253900.xml&coll=4

Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:01 pm

Still not a "peep" out of City Hall.

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers
marklingm

Postby marklingm » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:16 pm

Peter Grossetti wrote:Still not a "peep" out of City Hall.

Peter,

http://www.facebook.com/LakewoodOhioHens reports that Mayor Mike Summers took At-Large Councilwoman Monique Smith for a backyard chicken tour yesterday.

Matt

Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:21 pm

Yep, I was there. I reiterate ... "Still not a "peep" out of City Hall."

(I am not in the habit of posting things just to hear myself talk.)

sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:37 pm

Well someone is certainly snippy.

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde
J Hrlec

Postby J Hrlec » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:04 pm

Peter Grossetti wrote:(I am not in the habit of posting things just to hear myself talk.)

Do you read your posts to yourself....or is this a voice to text thing? hmmm...

:|

ryan costa

Postby ryan costa » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:26 pm

Pigeons are a semi-legal alternative to chickens.
if the cops try to bust you for having pigeons, the pigeons can just fly away. If you want to harvest the pigeon, you may need a sling shot.

There are fewer pigeons in residential neighborhoods than downtown or at shopping centers. this is because there are more stray cats in residential neighborhoods.

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey
Betsy Voinovich

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:08 am

Peter Grossetti wrote:Yep, I was there. I reiterate ... "Still not a "peep" out of City Hall."

(I am not in the habit of posting things just to hear myself talk.)

Peter,

With all the discussion going on on the Deck regarding the Best Posts of 2011, this thread is the one most mentioned, largely because of your diligence in keeping people informed.

I am in agreement with you that Councilwoman Smith and Mayor Summers going to visit the chickens means only that. It isn't Monique who needs convincing. It is our system of government that needs enforcing.

I said before that though it's legal and proper etc to approach the mayor and ask for his special monarchal dispensation of ordinances--- the best chance anybody has to change anything is to use the regular system as it stands.

The chicken people have more than done their homework, they deserve their day in court, in public, before the Council, to make their case. Our Council people cannot be held accountable if all meetings are held on the phone, at the Root, in the car, between two people.

If a city having chickens does not lower property values, and does not frighten prospective residents, in fact, convinces prospective residents that the city in question is a progressive and green city, and there is proof of that, that should be presented to the public, at a Council meeting, where questions can be asked, opinions and facts clarified. You should make sure that this is covered by the media, and you should be diligent about getting this message out. (As you know, with the Lakewood Observer, you ARE the media. Make sure you report on what's happening.)

The issue has been raised here about what our elected officials are supposed to do, act upon their own opinions, or the will of the people. A simple job description provides the answer. They are supposed to be our representatives. It sounds like Monique Smith doesn't like chickens. It sounds like she might live on a Lakewood street where all she can picture is rowdy neighbors letting chickens and children run rampant.

Hens in Lakewood can guarantee that there is a high standard that has to be met for any resident to qualify for raising chickens. And they aren't re-inventing the wheel. They have research, they have proof, from cities similar to our own.

If Monique has to be convinced, or Council President Madigan, it is no more than the work that has to be done to convince ANY Lakewood resident. Assume that they are REPRESENTING those who don't want chickens, and they have fear and prejudices, or maybe real family history or experiences in Lakewood that justify their not wanting them. Those are the people that must be won over. Those are the people who might think that a pilot program approved by the mayor only is going behind their back and trying to sneak up on them. Even though it is legal to call upon Mayor's special privileges, and from what I have been hearing, Hens in Lakewood were encouraged to do so.

The best hope you guys have, regardless of whether the mayor is sincere or not, and I have no reason to think that he is not (though I continue to wonder about the "other issues" that Monique referred to in her original post in this thread*) is to convince the public, in the forum created for that, a public Council meeting. If each and every concern is addressed, and you prove that there is NO REASON to disapprove of chickens in Lakewood, IN PUBLIC, you can get somewhere. Then you can ask those representatives if they are representing their constituents. It is their job to research issues FOR their constituents and present them with the facts. It is then their job to represent the people of Lakewood, and their opinions.

If they say that they are representing them, or they seem unwilling to share the facts with their constituents, then you have to do even more outreach. You have to go to the wards that you feel are not being represented, or that are in the dark about the true facts, and educate them and encourage them to let their representatives know how they feel. If their representative refuse to represent the public, then you start a petition. And of course, you run some candidates for Council next time around who will do a better job of communicating with, and representing the public.

So much work. But in the end, the city is educated, the city is involved in the process, WITH YOUR HELP. And you guys have done more than educate the citizens of Lakewood about chickens or bring chickens to Lakewood. You have helped to empower the citizens of Lakewood, and educate them about the fact that they ARE citizens, and that they need to stay informed, it is THEIR city (our city) and they need to vote. Getting people to know about chickens, and talk about chickens, is a first step to people talking about everything, and realizing the power to have the kind of city they want is in their hands.

What an amazing public service you could do.

People can't have opinions or voice them, if they don't know what's happening. That's why communication is an essential part of representation.

And Peter, you've taken everyone a long way on this.

So my question to you now, as the year winds down, is, what IS happening? What's the plan, and are there several, to take this idea forward?

THANK YOU!

Betsy Voinovich

Monique Smith wrote:
It breaks my heart to say this, because I once publicly supported the campaign of our current mayor and genuinely believed he would bring a very beneficial management style to city hall, but here's the thing: The mayor and some members of his administration are showing increasingly worrisome signs that they have no regard for council or some members of the public in Lakewood who may have opinions that differ from theirs. This backyard hen question is only one example in a pattern that I've been observing and have been worrying quite a bit about.

Will Brown

Postby Will Brown » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:30 pm

Whether you are pro or anti fowl, it is clear that the law gives the mayor the authority to decide whether or not this pilot program can be done. Unfortunately, some people, including some members of council, apparently don't understand this and want to make the decision themselves.

My only complaint is that the mayor, prior to making a decision, should have given public notice that he was considering the question, and invited any interested party to give their input. As it has gone down, it appears only one side was heard before the decision was made. When you hear evidence from only one side of the issue, you have a pretty weak basis for making the decision. In short, if a group of people is enamored of the idea of keeping chickens, any evidence that it is a bad practice will be concealed and only evidence in support of their plan will be presented. A secretive process such as this smacks of cronyism.

Society in every state is a blessing, but the Government even in its best state is but a necessary evil...
Missy Limkemann

Postby Missy Limkemann » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:02 pm

Here is a question for some of y'all...would you rather live next to a hen house or a dog rescue?

Time is precious, waste is wisely
Steve Hoffert

Postby Steve Hoffert » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:03 am

Definately chickens. They are quiet, have less emotional issues and produce something edible.

Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Come to the City Council meeting tonight (Tues, 01/03/12) and watch the feathers fly!

Better yet ... show up at the Comittee of the Whole meeting (6:15pm in the Jury Room) for the real clucking!

Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:52 pm

I came *this close* to posting something tonight ... but I will "take a few deep breathes;" "count to 20;" "sleep on it;" and "let the dust settle" (or let you all chime in) before I do.

Betsy Voinovich

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:35 pm

Peter Grossetti wrote:I came *this close* to posting something tonight ... but I will "take a few deep breathes;" "count to 20;" "sleep on it;" and "let the dust settle" (or let you all chime in) before I do.

Peter--

What happened that required all of this deep breathing, counting and sleeping?

Betsy Voinovich

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”