Chickens Legal In Lakewood...

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Peter Grossetti

Re: Chickens Legal In Lakewood...

Postby Peter Grossetti » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:42 pm

Betsy - I took my deep breathes and counted to 20. Haven't slept on it yet .. so no comment from me yet! Didn't Observer have a reporter there??

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers
Betsy Voinovich

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:09 am

Peter Grossetti wrote:Betsy - I took my deep breathes and counted to 20. Haven't slept on it yet .. so no comment from me yet! Didn't Observer have a reporter there??

Hey Peter,

I was hoping that after just the breathing and the counting you'd feel like commenting tonight.. though sleeping on things (chickens and mayors) is always good.

Yes the Observer had a reporter there. That reporter is you. The Observer is community-written so any person there could conceivably report on what happened for the Deck or for the newspaper. Write it down and post it on the Deck. Write it up and submit it to the Member Center so it can be in the paper when it comes out on Tuesday. (I think you should do this.) I could say that every person there was potentially a reporter for the Observer. And yes, besides that, we did have an official reporter there-- who is also a member of the community, and a volunteer, who does what he does because it is important to him. You will see his coverage in the next paper.

But for now.. it's you, man. Not to rule out the idea that someone else who was there tonight will jump in, but you are perfect for the job, having followed this so closely thus far. (And being so great with typewritten graphics, I have to say..) What happened? I'm hoping for a live real-time podcast from the city one day, but even then I know I'd want to know what you personally had to say about it, with your own voice, from your point of view (the Observer's mission) because of your insight on this whole thing from the beginning. And because it is important to you.

Sleep well. I'll be tuning in in the morning hoping for your well-rested explanation of what happened.

Betsy Voinovich

Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:10 am

Thanks, Betsy, for the invitation to become an Observer Reporter ... but I respectfully decline. I prefer a "color commentator" role. Besides ... not being a Real Lakewoodite (read: "not born and raised here"), I really probably don't understand Lakewood's social and/or political intracacies.

That being said (and for the sake of moving this converation along) ... an amended version of Ordinance 51-11 passed (5 to 1). That's what happened.

I still need another night or two sleep before even considering adding my "color."

btw ... the "typewritten graphics" are not mine (easily obtainable on line.) I won't take credit for what is not mine.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:41 am

Peter Grossetti wrote:Thanks, Betsy, for the invitation to become an Observer Reporter ... but I respectfully decline. I prefer a "color commentator" role. Besides ... not being a Real Lakewoodite (read: "not born and raised here"), I really probably don't understand Lakewood's social and/or political intracacies.

Peter

This is the second time I have seen you mention "Real Lakewoodite" and I suppose it is easy
to read "Native" in the term of real Lakewoodite, but speaking for myself a person that has
left, returned, left, returned, left, returned I am curious to what you mean.

Some of the most influential Lakewoodites of the past, were "wash-a-shores." Ken Warren,
Brooklyn, Mary Anne Crampton, Pittsburgh, and the list goes on and on.

I often joke that Lakewood is the most inbred city in America, but would you care to elaborate?

If so I will move the discussion to a new thread. I feel that these are the issues we need
to vet on a large scale. 51% of Lakewood is rental. Has been for nearly as long as the
city was here. Well from about 1920 on.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:32 am

Jim - "real Lakewoodite"? Your term; not mine. (see "Holiday Music In Sinagra Park, But Why The Cameras?" thread.

I made a what I though was a clever comment ("The Park Formerly Known as Sinagra Park") and all hell broke loose!

relax ... I'm just here to disturb the system. Keep up the good work!

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:45 am

Peter Grossetti wrote: I'm just here to disturb the system.

Peter

That's why we love you.

Funny, when I use "real Lakewoodite" it is a quick punchline to a complex statement. I
generally mean, and this is me, not a written definition. Some one that lives here, and
has made the commitment to "live" or work here.

With such a large amount of potential transients churning through Lakewood. It would be
hard to think of any of them as not real.

I think a "real Lakewoodite," has basic working knowledge of Lakewood, the community.
Or is willing to learn.

FWIW

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:10 am

Jim - We need sit and chat someday.

Betsy Voinovich

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:26 am

Peter Grossetti wrote:Thanks, Betsy, for the invitation to become an Observer Reporter ... but I respectfully decline. I prefer a "color commentator" role. Besides ... not being a Real Lakewoodite (read: "not born and raised here"), I really probably don't understand Lakewood's social and/or political intracacies.

That being said (and for the sake of moving this converation along) ... an amended version of Ordinance 51-11 passed (5 to 1). That's what happened.

I still need another night or two sleep before even considering adding my "color."

btw ... the "typewritten graphics" are not mine (easily obtainable on line.) I won't take credit for what is not mine.

Hi Peter,

Have you slept long enough on this whole subject to add some "color" yet?

So the mayor has lost his special privilege to make "other" kinds of exemptions from the animal-banning ordinance, which means he can't exempt chickens for a pilot project.

And yet Hens in Lakewood were encouraged to seek this special exemption, rather than go through the regular non-mayor-as-monarch-like channels, and propose a pilot program by the regular process of going through City Council.

You know my opinion on this already, I think the regular process is the only one that allows you your full day in court, and it's public, so it's the only one that's transparent. This is the process that would require Council members themselves to respond to all of the very good arguments Hens in Lakewood have. If they said "no," they'd have to say why. Well, maybe they aren't required to say why, but if they behave that way in public, lots of citizens would ask why, and pressure could be brought, and petitions circulated, and new candidates could be encouraged to run for Council, etc.

There are those that say that NONE of the players were ever going to allow chickens anywhere near Lakewood, that this whole exemption thing was a set-up, and those that say the pilot program was an effort to string the idea along for decades, adding a chicken a year or something to the pilot program. And those that think that certain Council members legitimately found the mayor's special exemption privilege to be a violation of checks and balances.

What is the feeling now? Do people think it's worth it to propose this pilot project in City Council through regular channels?

Two more responses to your "color" comment. The Lakewood Observer exists for not only citizen reporters, reporting the news as they see it, but citizens reporting their feelings, their opinions, in other words, "color." The Lakewood Observer is about owning your voice, your bias, your point of view, which allows others to respond, whether those others are Lakewood government officials or fellow Lakewoodites, in the same forum. Dialogue, debate, using real names, that could potentially lead to action and change, and at the very least, can cause citizens to become more educated about what's happening, and what their fellow citizens think about it.

And as long as I brought up "Lakewoodites," you can write for the Observer if you have something to say that's important to Lakewood. Observers are for people who live, work, play, go to school, grew up in, or spent a lot of time, in Lakewood. You don't have to fit whatever "Lakewoodite" means to participate in the Observer project.

Though I like to use the "Lakewoodites" comic on the back page of the paper for a good definition of who Lakewoodites are.

So what's your take? What's going to happen now? I personally wanted to own some chickens because we eat a lot of eggs in our household, and I thought taking care of chickens would be a good learning and sustainability lesson for the kids. But I'm not sure our backyard is deep enough.

I'm hoping the chicken supporters are not tired, and haven't given up.

Thanks.

Betsy Voinovich

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:28 pm

Peter Grossetti wrote:Jim - We need sit and chat someday.

Peter

I have to be the most accessible person in town.

Tell me when and where, and I am there.

I love talking, coffee and errrr ahhhh errrr scotch, yeah that's it.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Charlie Page

Postby Charlie Page » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:04 pm

I may have missed it but how did the backyard hen pilot go?

Do any of the families still have their hens?

I was going to sue her for defamation of character but then I realized I had no character – Charles Barkley
Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:19 pm

Charlie Page wrote:I may have missed it but how did the backyard hen pilot go?

It never happened.

Charlie Page

Postby Charlie Page » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:49 pm

Peter Grossetti wrote:
Charlie Page wrote:I may have missed it but how did the backyard hen pilot go?

It never happened.

What a shame!

We've been buying our eggs from a lady who gets them off the farm some where on the west side (Westlake or Amherst, not exactly sure). Those eggs are so fresh and good, they've renewed my interest in this topic.

I was going to sue her for defamation of character but then I realized I had no character – Charles Barkley
Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:46 pm

Let me clarify: there are still plenty of people who want to raise hens (and it is my understanding that they are very willing to do so in a very monitored and limited way during a pilot project.) It's just the pilot program was never authorized by anyone at City Hall. Not sure who would have the authority to do so. City Council? Mayor's Office?

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:59 am

Back on topic

At least Build Lakewood has stayed positive! :roll:

Positive that others cannot have a different opinion or voice it.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”