Superintendent announces cuts:Elementary school will close

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Betsy Voinovich

Superintendent announces cuts:Elementary school will close

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Mon May 21, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi all,

Just getting home from tonight's School Board meeting. Our Superintendent, Jeff Patterson, presented a list of cuts that altogether will save about 8 million dollars, "significantly lowering the amount of millage we will have to ask for."

The most dramatic cut was the elementary building. Which one will be closed? It will not be one of the new or rebuilt ones. When directly asked whether the Administration will follow the findings of the Phase 3 committee, Superintendent Patterson said several times that current data will be thoroughly studied to figure out what would make the most sense, when projected into the next year or two.

We know that some have said that the state of Roosevelt school is so bad that it's condemnable. We know from Phase 3 that the renovation costs for Lincoln School are four times the cost of renovation for Grant. What is the current data and what will the criteria be when sorting through it?

The Superintendent said that there will be a $400,000 yearly savings on operating costs with one less building.

Does this work with our school age population? Will they fit into six buildings? What does this mean for class size?

Many questions will be sorted through in the coming days.

It was clear that much hard work went into these decisions; that they weren't easy, and that a great effort was made to accommodate the desires expressed by the community during Mr. Patterson's many outreach meetings at the schools.

More later.

Betsy Voinovich

Betsy Voinovich

Re: Superintendent announces cuts:Elementary school will clo

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Mon May 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Forgot to mention that the announcement of which elementary school will close will be made this August, because as Mr. Patterson said, "It is very important to get the word out to families a year in advance."

Our Superintendent gave a very clear and considered report.

Betsy Voinovich

Sean Wheeler

Postby Sean Wheeler » Mon May 21, 2012 9:35 pm

It's also important to note that Lakewood teachers agreed to another pay freeze, hiked their health insurance rate to the highest in the surrounding districts, and lost several positions. I understand all of these points were presented at the board meeting as well. As I wasn't able to attend, could you tell us if these were mentioned?

Betsy Voinovich

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Mon May 21, 2012 9:48 pm

Here is the complete list of Recommended Budget Reductions

The lists were printed out and made available to everyone at the meeting. The first number is the item cut, the next three, are dollar amounts for fiscal years 12, 13 and 14

1. Westshore Payment, $190,000 190,000 190,000
2. Textbooks 250,000 250,000 250,000
3. Technology Leases 374,000 374.000 374,000
4. Workers Compensation 600,000 600,000 200,000
5. Title 1 Carryover 0 400,000 0
6. Positions ReducedFY12 60,000 60,000 60,000
7. LTA TRIP #1(positions reduced)
0 600,000 600,000
8. Replace 7.5 FTE (Elementary positions)
0 (455,000) (455,000)
9. LTA TRIP #2 0 0 500,000
10.Addtl base freezeFY 14 0 0 989,000
11. Health Care Savings 0 324,000 324,000
12. Additional Staffing Changes
Teacher Reduction 250,000 310,000
Classified Reductions 0 31,000 61,000
Admin & non-represented staff reductions
0 275,000 332,000
13. Elementary Building Closure
0 0 400,000

TOTAL 1,474,000 2,959,000 4,195,000

Total Budget Reductions (FY2012, FY2013, FY2014) = $8,628,000

Tonight there were 9.5 teacher reductions being made, in one reading.

Superintendent Patterson opened his comments by reporting that the State of Ohio is providing 1.8 billion less in funding, shifting the funding burden to local districts.

He said that our current 5 year forecast indicated that we would have a deficit of $12.4 million by Fiscal Year 2015.

He thanked the Board, the Building Administrators, the Teachers Union, the Staff and the Community for contributing their ideas to help shape these comprehensive recommendations.

Some of the items listed might need more explanation but this is a start. As I said earlier, Mr. Patterson made it clear that this list represents seven months of of planning and work.

Betsy Voinovich

Bill Trentel

Postby Bill Trentel » Tue May 22, 2012 12:23 am

Was there any talk of selling off the surplus property?

Or perhaps leasing them to a charter schools? They could lease off Grant or Roosevelt students and all. They would even get a bump in their state report card by lopping off the loser at those two schools.

8 to 10 years after the passage of the building bond issues only Madison and Harding have been razed and that was only because they used the land for the new Harding. Do they really expect use to ever pass another bond or levy issue when they can explain why they haven't fulfilled passed promises? Two of the three buildings are in use daily what happened to the savings by closing buildings?

Bill

Amy Dreger

Postby Amy Dreger » Tue May 22, 2012 7:09 am

Thanks for the info. Were any details given? It seems to me that if they are cutting teachers they will have to cut programming of some sort.

I am nervous about the Discovery Program being cut. I have a 4th grader currently in the program and a 1st grader who desperately needs to be in the program in 3rd grade or will likely fall through the cracks. I am considering Menlo Park if they cut 3rd grade. Any talk of that or were there just a lot of generalizations? I really wanted to attend the meeting but had to work.

Meg Ostrowski

Postby Meg Ostrowski » Tue May 22, 2012 9:34 am

Amy Dreger wrote:Thanks for the info. Were any details given? It seems to me that if they are cutting teachers they will have to cut programming of some sort.

I am nervous about the Discovery Program being cut. I have a 4th grader currently in the program and a 1st grader who desperately needs to be in the program in 3rd grade or will likely fall through the cracks. I am considering Menlo Park if they cut 3rd grade. Any talk of that or were there just a lot of generalizations? I really wanted to attend the meeting but had to work.

The community made it obvious to Superintendent Patterson at his recent outreach meetings that “Gifted & Talented” programming (Discovery, Energy, Focus & AP) is valued throughout the city. At his wrap up meeting he confirmed that he heard that message loud and clear.

At last night’s BOE Meeting, there was no mention of the Discovery Program specifically (that I heard) but the program has shrunk in recent years. Two years ago 2nd Grade Discovery was eliminated and since, only one small self contained class of 3rd graders has been operating within the district. The trickle down of that is that in the coming school year the number of self contained 4th/5th Grade Discovery classes will be reduced from three to two within the district. I don’t necessarily think that there are fewer students in need of these services but the school district no longer has dedicated staff identifying and supporting this group. It is now just one component of an administrator’s job. Parents may need to take a more proactive role.

Menlo Park Academy is an alternative. They have experienced rapid growth in recent years and are in the process of finding new leadership including the positions of School Director, Assistant School Director, Business Manager and Coordinator of Curriculum & Instruction.

“There could be anywhere from 1 to over 50,000 Lakewoods at any time. I’m good with any of those numbers, as long as it’s just not 2 Lakewoods.” -Stephen Davis
Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Tue May 22, 2012 12:26 pm

Betsy Voinovich wrote:2. Textbooks 250,000 250,000 250,000
3. Technology Leases 374,000 374.000 374,000

Ok, so

The board agrees to keep step raises and sick days and agrees to pay for 85% of the upcoming 100% increase in health insurance premiums while cutting text books and technology?

And reading between the lines: close Roosevelt now because it is condemnable and close Grant later leaving Lakewood with no centrally located elementary school?

And who paid for the $5 million dollar cost of the buyouts?

Are we at $15,000 per year per student yet? You know, $345,000 per classroom?

Betsy if I gave you $345,000 per year and 23 students picked at random could you teach them to read?

Perhaps its time to consider converting the Lakewood Schools into a Board run charter school system.

Betsy Voinovich

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Tue May 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Bill Call wrote:Are we at $15,000 per year per student yet? You know, $345,000 per classroom?

Betsy if I gave you $345,000 per year and 23 students picked at random could you teach them to read?

Perhaps its time to consider converting the Lakewood Schools into a Board run charter school system.

Wow Bill, when you put it that way.. yes I could. What is this $15,000 figure about? I know our teachers don't get $345,000 to teach a class. How does this 15K break down, and where did you get that number?

Betsy Voinovich

Betsy Voinovich

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Tue May 22, 2012 1:23 pm

Amy Dreger wrote:Thanks for the info. Were any details given? It seems to me that if they are cutting teachers they will have to cut programming of some sort.

Hi Amy,

Like Meg said, the GT program has continued to downsize in recent years in Lakewood. It is still an outstanding program, and it is still a unique one. Many supposedly wealthier suburbs than ours do not offer this kind of programming at an elementary level. A self-contained class means that all of the kids stay in class together and learn. They aren't pulled out at certain times during the day, one for math, one for literature, which is the way these kinds of kids are often dealt with in other school systems.

Several parents (including me) wrote about their experiences with the program in the latest issue of the Lakewood Observer. Here is the link:http://www.lakewoodobserver.com/read/2012/05/15/lakewoods-gifted-program-gem-of-lakewoods-district-enables-children-to

I agree with Meg's statement that the number of kids in Lakewood who could benefit from the GT program probably hasn't gone down. There are just less of them being served, as they are not identified at the end of first grade for second grade, etc.

At this point it's incumbent on the parents to make sure that your child is receiving the education that suits him in Lakewood. If you feel that your child would qualify for an advanced program, but you haven't heard about it at his or her school, ASK. Call Lakewood City schools. Mark Gleichauf, Director of Teaching and Learning
(216)529-4203 mark.gleichauf@lakewood.k12.oh.us.

Our District is very interested in making sure we retain these students and these families. In these economic times, they need to hear from us, and to know they have our support.

As for Menlo Park, though they seem to be going through a restructuring process right now, they appear to be successful. They have a long waiting list. If you are worried that there will not be a third grade program for your child, I would contact them and get on the waiting list. I have the same issue with my youngest child who is entering second grade this year. Though I have every intention of staying in the Lakewood system if it is possible, I will make sure my child is on the waiting list in case our one solitary Gifted Third Grade class disappears. I don't believe that this will happen. It seems more like if the District determined that they had enough children to merit an additional third grade class, they would give it serious consideration to trying to make it happen, in an effort to meet the needs of these students, and to keep them in our public school population.

Our Superintendent made it very clear that this program is important to Lakewood City Schools.

Betsy Voinovich

Melissa Page

Postby Melissa Page » Tue May 22, 2012 10:21 pm

Thanks for sharing announcement of the proposed cuts from board meeting. It was also informative to read the news story from the school district that is on the LO home page.

Betsy not sure who the sources were that said Roosevelt is condemnable. I am assuming it was people just exaggerating and who don't know all the facts. But I wanted to eliminate this notion from this discussion in case people take it as true. I have never heard anyone who really would know for sure, say it was condemnable.

I am in there regularly because of my 2 kids. And I am an advocate of renovating Roosevelt when and if our number comes up but I also hope that it is not overlooked that this building can get through some more years just fine with proper maintenance and possibly updates such as for heating and cooling. It is a handsome and stout "old girl". And just like my 100 year old house it could certainly serve the "next 50 years" if taken care of. And just like my house it could be modernized for current standards. Talking to the janitor he states that it is being well maintained and functions just fine. I hope this is accurate.

The worst complaint is that the second floor can get really warm in both warm and cold weather from no air conditioning and old heating system.

-Mel

Betsy Voinovich

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Thu May 24, 2012 9:41 am

Mel Page wrote:Thanks for sharing announcement of the proposed cuts from board meeting. It was also informative to read the news story from the school district that is on the LO home page.

Betsy not sure who the sources were that said Roosevelt is condemnable. I am assuming it was people just exaggerating and who don't know all the facts. But I wanted to eliminate this notion from this discussion in case people take it as true. I have never heard anyone who really would know for sure, say it was condemnable.

I am in there regularly because of my 2 kids. And I am an advocate of renovating Roosevelt when and if our number comes up but I also hope that it is not overlooked that this building can get through some more years just fine with proper maintenance and possibly updates such as for heating and cooling. It is a handsome and stout "old girl". And just like my 100 year old house it could certainly serve the "next 50 years" if taken care of. And just like my house it could be modernized for current standards. Talking to the janitor he states that it is being well maintained and functions just fine. I hope this is accurate.

The worst complaint is that the second floor can get really warm in both warm and cold weather from no air conditioning and old heating system.

-Mel

Hi Mel,

The source of this information is the Ohio School Facilities Commission. When they evaluated our schools for rebuilding (completely tear down, and build a new building-- like at Harding) or renovation-- Roosevelt was judged not fit for renovation. The only plan that could apply to Roosevelt according to the OSFC is that it be completely torn down.

The other buildings, Grant and Lincoln, qualified for both renovation or rebuilding, though in the case of Lincoln, the cost of renovation was so great, that that was an option that couldn't be considered. The cost of renovation was so much higher than rebuilding that the only way Lincoln is being considered is as a full tear down and rebuild. And as I said earlier, Grant was approved for both, and the cost of renovating it is one fourth the cost of renovating Lincoln.

But the state of Ohio wouldn't consider renovating Roosevelt at all because of the condition it was in; this is several years ago now.

I'm not sure how this breaks down. It is the "full renovation" that was the issue? Are we going to be forced to either fully renovate or completely rebuild our buildings because supposedly the state of Ohio has "matching" money? And it isn't matching. It isn't even a third. But if we want whatever money they might have in the future, that's the deal. And when will that be?

But what if just targeted repairs that needed to be made? How much would that cost? At any of the schools? What if we just took care of ourselves?

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that the "condemnable" thing wasn't a rumor-- the source of the information was the people hired by the state of Ohio to make the evaluations of the buildings. School Board member Ed Favre did assure me that Roosevelt is not "condemnable." And by this, I'm assuming that he meant that the children who are attending school there right now are safe.

Betsy Voinovich

Tim Liston

Postby Tim Liston » Thu May 24, 2012 3:41 pm

ALL children are gifted and talented, at least they are born that way. It’s a shame that between our schools and us parents we seem to be incapable or unwilling to bring out the best in so many of them….

Melissa Page

Postby Melissa Page » Fri May 25, 2012 8:46 am

Thanks for the clarification and detail Betsy. I thought it might have come from OFSA the last time they assessed. Our 50 year committee back before any rebuilding took place, Roosevelt was recommended to be renovated not rebuilt. I know OFSA had terrible cookie cutter standards and didn't have as much worry about saving even a $1 million dollars by picking renovation over rebuilding before the economic bubble burst! They used the criteria such as the 2/3 rule that if renovation was even 2/3 the cost of rebuilding they would recommend rebuilding! And a couple years ago after the economy tanked I researched to see that OFSA was working on changing their standards to be more realistic and relevant for issues of renovation. I remember seeing the National Trust for Historic Preservation was involved with Ohio to help them rework their standards. Here is some great info that actually applies to cities like Lakewood http://www.preservationnation.org/information-center/saving-a-place/historic-schools/helping-johnny-walk-to-school/. Linda Beebe assured me when and if our number ever comes up the OFSA would go back to the drawing board when it comes to considering renovation over building for each school.

When I was at any of the community meetings that Mr. Patterson held I would have chosen keeping the currrent 7 elementary schools open over any program. I guess I figured the closing of a school was a discussion for when we were talking bond issues not a current "program" issue.

I like what Tim says about the "gifted". As my son enters 3rd grade I'm not going to fight for a spot in the only 3rd grade gifted class district wide next year that is not in our neighborhood school. Thanks to his current 2nd grade teacher who is doing what she can to keep him challenged and interested. I like the school's gifted program but I also appreciate the efforts in all the elementary classrooms that stay focused on raising the bar for all of our students so that they all feel good about their academic progress.

stephen davis

Postby stephen davis » Fri May 25, 2012 9:13 am

Betsy Voinovich wrote:
Bill Call wrote:Are we at $15,000 per year per student yet? You know, $345,000 per classroom?

Wow Bill, when you put it that way.. yes I could. What is this $15,000 figure about? I know our teachers don't get $345,000 to teach a class. How does this 15K break down, and where did you get that number?

Betsy Voinovich

Betsy,

Did you really fall for that? Really?

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street.
Used to be the heart of town.
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart.
You just gotta poke around.

Robert Hunter/Sometimes attributed to Ezra Pound.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”