Superintendent announces cuts:Elementary school will close

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Betsy Voinovich

Re: Superintendent announces cuts:Elementary school will clo

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:17 am

Amy Dreger wrote:Betsy - which gifted teacher was cut? With that class gone that will make two 4/5 gifted classes in the system, correct?

Hi Amy--

The beloved Jessie Holland 4/5 Discovery teacher was cut at Grant School along with the offering of the program itself in that school. She has many pleased pupils looking forward to seeing her at Garfield however. The harder blow is to the school, which took a hit along with Lincoln, two years ago, when we each lost our amazing 2/3 programs. There are those that are afraid that the Gifted program is being phased out.

There is one 3rd grade Gifted teacher now, at Emerson, and the remaining 4/5 programs, one at Emerson, one at Lincoln. Next year, Ms. Bluemel, our one Gifted 3rd grade teacher (once at Grant, now at Emerson) who is famous in Lakewood for launching children into self-reliant, confident, focused, promising, futures will be retiring. Our Superintendent has reassured everyone that these programs are important, even as they shrink from year to year, and as I said before, I don't think the number of qualified kids in Lakewood is going down.

If there is more awareness among parents, more kids will be tested, more families will be drawn in, and this program can shine as the jewel that it is, even in the midst of these difficult times. This program is one that attracts families to Lakewood and makes it unique.

Not that you don't already know all of that stuff.

Onward.

Betsy Voinovich

Meg Ostrowski

Postby Meg Ostrowski » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:23 am

For anyone else just catching up on school news, here is a link to the district's announcement of the Board's approval of the budget cuts.

http://lakewoodcityschools.org/district ... artID=1616

“There could be anywhere from 1 to over 50,000 Lakewoods at any time. I’m good with any of those numbers, as long as it’s just not 2 Lakewoods.” -Stephen Davis
Amy Dreger

Postby Amy Dreger » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:47 pm

I hate to see Ms. Blumel go. My oldest had her last year and she was such a wonderful teacher. I knew she was thinking about retirement but I was hoping it would wait until my youngest had a chance to have her. Bummer news. :(

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”