The Bar And Club Business In Lakewood

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

The Bar And Club Business In Lakewood

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:11 am

This weekend I got many calls and people coming up to me saying, "you are right about
needing a moratorium on bars and restaurants in Lakewood, this is out of control..."

I told each, and now tell you. The fight outside The Foundry is not an indictment of the
bar and restaurant scene in Lakewood. It is not an indictment of The Foundry or Now That's
Class just over the border. I am not even sure it is an indictment of the "hardcore music" scene.

This was an act of planned violence acted out by two groups from outside of Lakewood in a
parking lot. This could and does happens anywhere. This is a random act of violence by a
group referred to as domestic terrorists by the FBI. We were merely a target on their dart
board, and the new place to bring their form of violent hate against violent hate.

To everyone that told me or posted, "That is it, I am moving." Two things, this had nothing
to do with Lakewood, nor even the bars involved. Both bars are extremely popular, drive
by either at 1am and see the massive crowds out front, smoking, talking, and enjoying
Lakewood for being the quiet safe friendly city we are. What are you moving from, why
are you running from misguided people from Boston and Youngstown?

The most amazing part of this incredible adventure is just how good the Lakewood Police
is. Imagine arriving at a battle scene a couple minutes after it happened, a war zone,
where the perps had scattered to the four winds other cities, and their cars. Yet while
taking care of the injured, the scared, the witnesses they were able to corral 18 suspects,
get 5 people to the hospital, and secure a 6 block crime scene! They were amazing.

Also amazing as always was the Lakewood Fire Department, that arrived, helped block off
the streets, and got people to the hospital.

If anything this should make people run to Lakewood, a great safe city, where we are
dedicated to good safe living, raising families, education, and yes fun.

I will get back to talking about the moratorium on restaurants and bars soon, enough, but
not because of the terrible night we had Saturday at the hands of outsiders.

I love this city, because of the residents! Party on.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Michael Deneen

Re: The Bar And Club Business In Lakewood

Postby Michael Deneen » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:51 pm

This will be largely forgotten very soon for two reasons:

1. Thankfully noone was shot or killed.
2. The participants were all white guys. If they had been black, the "anonymous" discussion boards would be afire with talk of "Thugs", "Section 8", "Lakewood is changing", and all the other classic dog whistle phrases.

Mark Mraz

Postby Mark Mraz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:10 pm

Jims opinion/facts should be posted on every message board that contains this story. It's nice that we at least have someone delving into facts rather then fiction. it is important that everyone knows THE TRUTH.

I was born and raised in Youngstown the first 25 years of my life and moved here to Lakewood 5 years ago so the fact that 1/2 this story contains the word Youngstown in it, does not shock me the least.

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:44 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:To everyone that told me or posted, "That is it, I am moving." Two things, this had nothing to do with Lakewood, nor even the bars involved. Both bars are extremely popular, drive by either at 1am and see the massive crowds out front, smoking, talking, and enjoying
Lakewood for being the quiet safe friendly city we are. What are you moving from, why
are you running from misguided people from Boston and Youngstown?

How fragile is the success of the City if a bar room brawl causes such consternation?

Michael Loje

Postby Michael Loje » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:14 am

Bill, this is something different than a barroom brawl. It only caused "consternation" to people who didn't read the whole story, or people predisposed to consternation. But, it is an education for many of us who were not aware of this murky and troubling subculture in our country.
Once again, I hope the injuries were limited to the participants, and not innocent bystanders. Anyone have any insight?

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:29 am

At least we now know where to direct recruiters for human cannon fodder for utterly pointless causes

kate e parker

Postby kate e parker » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:41 pm

oh thank heavens the perps were all white! now you can all sleep at night. seriously, I've heard enough of this bs from several Lakewood residents. after reading some of the "reports" from this board and from neighbors i'm beginning to think i'm living on a plantation. get ahold of yourselves, people. crime knows no color. but thanks for reminding everyone that all's well because it was "white" people.

I prefer to think of them as "asshole" people.

kate e parker

Postby kate e parker » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:01 pm

when I said I "living on a plantation" I meant "living on a plantation where the slaves might revolt". that's the takeaway from this. i'm so effin sick of skin color. sick of it!

race? HUMAN.

Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:21 pm

Well I'm sick of skin color, too. Sick of the implication that black people are moving into Lakewood and ruining it for us good white people.

That's the only reason mention was made that these idiots were white, to stop the inevitable tirade about how blacks are destroying the city.

I had a waiter at a restaurant tell me Monday that the incident was because we "let all those Section 8 people in here."

I'm effin' sick of THAT lie!

kate e parker

Postby kate e parker » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:41 pm

Grace O'Malley wrote:Well I'm sick of skin color, too. Sick of the implication that black people are moving into Lakewood and ruining it for us good white people.

That's the only reason mention was made that these idiots were white, to stop the inevitable tirade about how blacks are destroying the city.

I had a waiter at a restaurant tell me Monday that the incident was because we "let all those Section 8 people in here."

I'm effin' sick of THAT lie!

i'm sick of the lies period.

my hetero-life mate does maintenance for several section 8's all over Lakewood. scary black people are 1/3 of the residents. then there are the frightening latinos. and omg the seniors of all stripes, they overrun the place. despicable white folk? just as represented if not more. the taxpaying neighbors of section 8 have a lot to say about the residents and when I say residents I mean humans. color rarely enters into it.

I've lived here for the better part of 44 years. least racist town I know. least racist when I was five. least racist now that I'm 45 despite the people bitching about dollar stores and bars /sarcasm

I bet that waiter doesn't live here. people that love it here have a twinkle in their eye not a speck.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”