City finances: hospital & refuse collection

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

todd vainisi

Re: City finances: hospital & refuse collection

Postby todd vainisi » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:06 pm

I would like to know where you post and what posts are "official," that is, acting in your capacity as a city employee. You have posted for some time on the Buzz under a pseudonym, during working hours. Were you directed to do so or was that of your own volition? Does the city have a policy on use of social media during working hours? Were those posts made under the "mrpoggs" pseudonym made in your capacity as a city employee? That person had an intimate knowledge of city financial business and procedures that clearly indicate the poster was a city finance employee, you.

Hey, this seems really threatening. Is your intent to ensure that Jennifer makes no more posts here? I really appreciate the opportunity to hear from the Finance Director on these pages and would appreciate it if you didn't run her off.

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:16 pm

Not my intent. Funny anyone would find questions to a public official from a taxpayer regarding her job duties and postings "threatening." I don't want her to "go away," I want her to continue to answer questions. Should I post some hearts and smiley faces along with my questions?

:D :D :D :D

Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:21 pm

Bridget Conant wrote: Should I post some hearts and smiley faces along with my questions?

:D :D :D :D

Ah ... the Gary Rice School of Observation Deck posting!

:wink:

:lol:

:)

:!:

and ... "back to the musical instrument of your choice!"

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers
Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:28 pm

I'm going to have to ask the Observer to provide more choices in emoticons! I want a hand clap, a thumbs up, and a few hearts, minimum!

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:13 pm

I think it is very positive that Finance Director Pae is posting and participating in the community dialogue.

Stan Austin

Tim Liston

Postby Tim Liston » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:48 pm

I’m with Todd and Stan….

In her original post, Jennifer offered to address matters “as they relate to the City's finances.” And that she “cannot speak for LHA or the Cleveland Clinic, or support or defend the comments or decisions of others.”

So right away Bridget starts bombarding her with questions about Lakewood Hospital operational matters. Whether or not Metro was really interested. About LHA affairs. About what might happen to the property in the event of closure. Some of which Jennifer patiently gave her personal opinion on. Then the social media innuendo hit, which really offends as Jennifer is now on the Deck offering her time to answer questions about matters “as they relate to the City's finances” and she is using her real name. Isn’t that what matters?

Jennifer I hope you won’t go away. Just ignore the questions that do not relate to your role as Finance Director, especially the snarky stuff. Tom’s question and Bill’s questions are fair game. I’d like to know where Lakewood stands with respect to municipal pension funding, as so many municipal pensions are way underfunded. OK?

Though I do know that every Lakewood public official who has tried to participate has been run off this site. Plus previous Directors of LakewoodAlive. I’ve been participating here off and on since inception and have seen it. Hang in there. Wouldn’t it be great to establish an online forum where public officials and residents can meet, exchange information and ideas, using real names? At a council meeting you have to say who you are too.

Bridget you need to back off and ask the sorts of questions that Jennifer agreed to address. Many of the questions you ask should be directed to others. And the snarky stuff needs to go….

Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:05 pm

Bridget is correct on this.

Tim, Stan, and Todd are deeply naive if they think Jen is here to address Municipal finance issues.
She is here to shill for "Build Lakewood" and her boss.
That's why she has surfaced now.

I would also like to know why she has been posting under fake names.
This is part of a broader pattern of misinformation spearheaded by City Hall.

More will be coming to light soon.

m buckley

Postby m buckley » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:21 pm

" Bridget you need to back off and ask the kind of questions that Jennifer agreed to address ... and the snarky stuff needs to go".- Tim Liston.
Mr. Liston are you serious? Who do you think you are to tell people what they can and cannot ask. And while I'm at it, this latest stratagem that Team Summers has concocted, to define the Save Lakewood Hospital group as mean spirited, snarky, threatening, angry, and whatever other adjectives you agreed upon, is not going to intimidate or silence any of us. The only thing that is transparent about Team Summers is their orchestrated attempts to muddy the waters in hopes of distracting Lakewood residents.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
Jennifer Pae

Postby Jennifer Pae » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:36 pm

tom monahan wrote:Jen:

Can you tell me what the bonded indebtedness limit is for Lakewood?

No problem Tom. Here is the link to the City's 2015 Budget doc and information regarding debt can be found beginning on page 19: http://www.onelakewood.com/pdf/Finance% ... Budget.pdf

Bill Call. A lot of great questions, but will require more time to respond, so please be patient with me.

However, in the meantime I would recommend reviewing, if you haven't already, the Huron Consulting Phase 1 Draft, and my April 20, 2015 COW report that I posted previously:
http://www.onelakewood.com/city-of-lake ... -hospital/

To all of the others who welcomed me, thank you. I know these are difficult, complex and emotional issues.

To the others. I am resident of Lakewood who has been the Director of Finance for the last 9 years with three very different mayors. I'm not a schill. I can form my own thoughts and opinions, and should be able to express these as well as providing information in an area I know quite well, the City of Lakewood's finances.

As I said before, if these interactions continue to be accusatory or negative in tone, I will not participate in this forum.

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:39 pm

Although I clearly do not need to defend my asking questions of Ms Pae, it appears some of you use selective recall regarding her posts. There is not one question that I asked that did not relate directly back to Ms Pae's posts and comments.

Pae on Metro:

but MetroHealth has made it clear they are not interested

I challenged this because it is untrue and a misleading twisting of facts..

Pae comments on LHA:

LHA is not a hospital system, and will not have the means or ability to operate the hospital.

Therefore, LHA could become bankrupt meaning all of the land and buildings could revert back to the City.

If Ms Pae keeps bringing up LHA and their problems as the rational for her position, why can't I ask about them?

And as for this from Tim Liston:

About what might happen to the property in the event of closure.

I ask you, Mr Liston, isn't that the crux of the issue according to Build Lakewood? That the hospital will close and we will be left with an empty shell unless we quickly sign a deal? Ms Pae specifically stated she was worried about that possibility of the property reverting back to the city and she clearly meant as a non-operating hospital.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:43 pm

Jennifer Pae wrote:As I said before, if these interactions continue to be accusatory or negative in tone, I will not participate in this forum.

Everyone brings with them different experiences.

Some have been embraced by City Hall.

Some have been tormented.

I would ask that you please just ignore what may appear to be accusatory or negative posts and keep posting facts and your opinions here.

Speaking for myself, I value what you bring to the discussion.

Thank you.

Matt

Tim Liston

Postby Tim Liston » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:42 pm

Mike (and Bridget)….

Mike, I’m not “deeply naïve” about most things. As fellow NU alum you know better than that…..

Jennifer came on here and said she would answer questions regarding Lakewood finances, specifically citing hospital finances, and refuse. And other financial topics. I take her at her word. Even though we both know that her timing is suspicious. So we’ll see….

Be clear on what I have not mentioned because I have not posted on this topic until today, unlike you both who have posted incessantly. (1) I friggin hate the Clinic. I think they have done more harm to health care in Northeast Ohio than good. Rolling up all those medical practices (and creating a health care duopoly with UH) and colluding with Medical Mutual stifles competition and locality, and (2) I am conflicted about the Lakewood Hospital situation. On the one hand, it would be great to still have inpatient acute care and all the jobs here. On the other hand economies of scale keep demanding bigger and newer facilities, which is not gonna happen in Lakewood. Sorry, not my fault. How many little car dealerships are still in Lakewood? (Answer: none). Nobody bitched when the last auto dealership left Lakewood, it was inevitable. Mike Bass Ford. Pat O’Brien Chevy….

All I said is that Bridget went beyond the bounds of the questions that Jennifer offered to answer, as Finance Director. And Bridget’s questions approached the “when did you stop beating your wife” realm. That doesn’t make me naive. It makes me someone who wants the discussion to be on-topic and civil. Is that so bad?

m buckley

Postby m buckley » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:59 pm

" All I said is that Bridget went beyond the bounds of the questions that Jennifer offered to answer" - Tim Liston.
Actually Tim what you said was " Bridget you need to back off and ask the kind of questions Jennifer agreed to address...and the snarky stuff needs to go". By the way for a guy who is clearly sensitive to snarky comments that was a curious use of the word "incessantly" to describe Michael Deneen's posts. Personally I thought Bridget was asking legitimate questions. Certainly at no point did I think they bordered on the "so when did you stop beating your wife realm".

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:20 pm

Tim Liston wrote:Mike, I’m not “deeply naïve” about most things. As fellow NU alum you know better than that…..

Let's not be too cocky about NU, Tim. Summers is another alum, and he naively thought this whole thing would go off with minimal opposition.
The admissions department in Evanston is not infallible.

I realize that you are not naive and are very cynical of the government....which is why I'm surprised that you would "take her at her word".

As for the incessant posting, I don't apologize.
I know it's a tired cliche, but this is really is the most important Lakewood decision in generations (if not ever).

Don Schmitz

Postby Don Schmitz » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:35 pm

Tim,
Steve Barry Buick would take exception to your saying there are no car dealerships left in Lakewood. Just sayin'...
Not quite the same as losing a hospital either.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”