The Burden

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Mark Kindt

Re: The Burden

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:35 pm

Yes, Mr. Austin is correct!

The approach of Winter is one more obvious reason that the legislation should sunset on October 31, 2020 as originally legislated by City Council.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:08 am

Mark Kindt wrote:Leadership During Unprecedented Crisis

While I appreciate all of the leadership demonstrated by Mayor George during the Covid-19 crisis, the temporary ordinance for conditional use permits to expand outdoor dining onto City sidewalks and streets should be allowed to "sunset" on October 31, 2020 as legislated.

Each day the reporting with respect to the Covid-19 pandemic describes a mostly growing and unmitigated path of contagion where even the guidance from the Centers For Disease Control frequently changes.

In this highly variable environment with a daily, serious public health threat, temporary legislation adopted months ago, during the earliest stages of the pandemic in Ohio, should expire as designed until more is understood.

As one of us who is mandated to wear a mask daily for all routine activities, is within the vulnerable population, and has reviewed the CDC Guidelines for Bars and Restaurants, it seems pointless for me to debate the repeated claims of public officials that outdoor dining on public property is so safe and so scientific that it should be extended and expanded.

I stand by what I have written to date.

Especially now that everyone knows that those who contract Covid-19 have no rights to access the Ohio civil justice system for their injuries.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:51 am

In Conclusion

I thank each reader of the Observation Deck who has taken the time to read and consider what I and others have posted in this Deck Essay.

While I understand that there were good intentions behind the temporary outdoor dining ordinance; as a temporary measure it should be permitted to expire as enacted on October 31, 2020.

No ordinance related to Covid-19 mitigation should be made permanent until more is understood about community spread, the City has its own independent testing capability, and retains its own independent experts for professional guidance on a pandemic that has rapidly expanded over a very short span of time.

For those individuals that may have contracted Covid-19 on Lakewood sidewalks or streets under the temporary ordinance or in the related bars/restaurants, I wish you and your families speedy recoveries and good health in the future.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:58 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:In Conclusion

I thank each reader of the Observation Deck who has taken the time to read and consider what I and others have posted in this Deck Essay.

While I understand that there were good intentions behind the temporary outdoor dining ordinance; as a temporary measure it should be permitted to expire as enacted on October 31, 2020.

No ordinance related to Covid-19 mitigation should be made permanent until more is understood about community spread, the City has its own independent testing capability, and retains its own independent experts for professional guidance on a pandemic that has rapidly expanded over a very short span of time.

For those individuals that may have contracted Covid-19 on Lakewood sidewalks or streets under the temporary ordinance or in the related bars/restaurants, I wish you and your families speedy recoveries and good health in the future.

A Postscript: If you review the City Council Docket Agenda for September 21st, you will note that $4,500,000 has been budgeted for the vast hole where Lakewood Hospital was demolished and once stood.
I could find NO budget listings that might be associated with the mitigation of Covid-19 in Lakewood. Please take the time to look at that agenda.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:25 pm

Postscript No. 2 -- Permanent Pandemic Dining on Public Property

Evidently, the policies of the temporary ordinance to expand outdooring dining onto public sidewalks and streets are now semi-permanent.

As a matter of public policy, it seems both unfortunate to me and dangerous to others that the City of Lakewood would, as a matter of enacted public policy, use its dedicated sidewalks and streets in a manner that may facilitate the risk of Covid-19 contagion to residents or visitors, most of whom have not been warned by the City of the risk.

I am particularly discouraged that temporary legislation that already carried this serious risk for vulnerable Lakewood residents has been made "permanent" during a national pandemic of growing proportions.

Unlike drivers or pedestrians on Lakewood streets and sidewalks, Covid-19 victims have all lost most of their tort rights to access the Ohio civil justice system for their injuries and damages.

I am even more concerned that the outdoor dining legislation has been or will be misused for marketing purposes by the City or others thus creating an "attractive" risk of injury to those who have been told by the media that it is safe to dine in Lakewood, but who have had no warnings and who have lost their legal rights.

A reminder that all of this is being done under a set of temporary exemptions to the Ohio open meetings laws.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:22 pm

Postscript No. 3 -- Trust me, I tried...

For most of the past 6 months I have written about this topic on the Deck across three or four separate threads.

I sent letters and emails to our elected municipal officials on repeated occasions respectfully arguing for repeal of or a halt to the outdoor dining program or to let it expire as legislated.

I did so, because like many other residents-- about 10% of Lakewood --I am within several of the vulnerable categories (age, medical condition) where exposure to Covid-19 could have a catastrophic impact.

I am discouraged that others that share my situation or other vulnerabilities to Covid-19 may be at risk of community spread from our streets and sidewalks adjacent to bars that now financially benefit from gaining the use of this public property on a semi-permanent basis.

It is bad enough that we are already at risk for community spread from holders of liquor licenses ("party-on Lakewood"); now the same risk has become embedded in the public policy determinations.

Be well. Stay safe.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:08 am

Mark Kindt wrote:Postscript No. 3 -- Trust me, I tried...

For most of the past 6 months I have written about this topic on the Deck across three or four separate threads.

I sent letters and emails to our elected municipal officials on repeated occasions respectfully arguing for repeal of or a halt to the outdoor dining program or to let it expire as legislated.

I did so, because like many other residents-- about 10% of Lakewood --I am within several of the vulnerable categories (age, medical condition) where exposure to Covid-19 could have a catastrophic impact.

I am discouraged that others that share my situation or other vulnerabilities to Covid-19 may be at risk of community spread from our streets and sidewalks adjacent to bars that now financially benefit from gaining the use of this public property on a semi-permanent basis.

It is bad enough that we are already at risk for community spread from holders of liquor licenses ("party-on Lakewood"); now the same risk has become embedded in the public policy determinations.

Be well. Stay safe.

Today I note that at least one Lakewood bar was cited for violations of the State 10pm curfew order by agents of the Ohio Department of Liquor Control. I will not amplify on other media reports that report on the continuing and growing impacts of Covid-19. I'm sure you are all current on that topic. Today or tomorrow, Ohio will cross the 5,000 fatality number. New cases per day now exceed 1,000.

At a minimum, I urge an immediate halt to the issuance of conditional use permits by the City of Lakewood under pandemic conditions for outdoor dining/service to those holding state liquor licenses.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:25 am

Mark Kindt wrote:
Today I note that at least one Lakewood bar was cited for violations of the State 10pm curfew order by agents of the Ohio Department of Liquor Control. I will not amplify on other media reports that report on the continuing and growing impacts of Covid-19. I'm sure you are all current on that topic. Today or tomorrow, Ohio will cross the 5,000 fatality number. New cases per day now exceed 1,000.

At a minimum, I urge an immediate halt to the issuance of conditional use permits by the City of Lakewood under pandemic conditions for outdoor dining/service to those holding state liquor licenses.

Ohio just passed 5,000 deaths and hundreds of thousands of massive medical bills.

I know of 4 local high schools that have had to change things over teachers and kids testing positive.

Italy just announced one of the biggest days ever, and gets ready with some other European countries to shut down again.

First case of reinfection in USA occurred this week, though some say it is a slightly different strain, as it has mutated.

The good news is, most doctors agree that a vaccine, and immunity could last up to 4 months, but more likely 2-3 months.

This is the same as the Flu Vaccine, another COVID friend. Vaccines barely work, and only for flu season. By then it has been beaten back, and mutates and comes back again.

When conspiracy freaks go see, those of science say "Darwinian Law."

This hasn't even started to get bad. Thank you deniers.

Thanks for the posts.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:09 pm

We are starting to see signs of the "second wave." We'll see if the virus has changed significantly.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”