Lakewood Needs SIDs, And To Stop Bleeding The City And Residents

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Lakewood Needs SIDs, And To Stop Bleeding The City And Residents

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:07 am

I would like to go back to another topic I have brought up many times in the past...

SIDs Special Interest Districts, and why Lakewood has need them for decades.

A typical Special Interest District is Coventry in Cleveland Heights.

From Wikipedia
Definition of "Special District" by the United States Census

The United States Census counts government units across all States. This includes "special districts." To count the special districts the Census must define the special districts so as to address all such governmental entities across the broad spectrum of 50 states' definitions and interpretations. The Census's full definition is:

Special district governments are independent, special purpose governmental units, other than school district governments, that exist as separate entities with substantial administrative and fiscal independence from general purpose local governments. As defined for Census Bureau statistics on governments, the term ‘‘special district governments’’ excludes school district governments as they are defined as a separate governmental type.

Special district governments provide specific services that are not being supplied by existing general purpose governments. Most perform a single function, but in some instances, their enabling legislation allows them to provide several, usually related, types of services. The services provided by these districts range from such basic social needs as hospitals and fire protection, to the less conspicuous tasks of mosquito abatement and upkeep of cemeteries.

The Census Bureau classification of special district governments covers a wide variety of entities, most of which are officially called districts or authorities. Not all public agencies so termed, however, represent separate governments. Many entities that carry the designation ‘‘district’’ or ‘‘authority’’ are, by law, so closely related to county, municipal, town or township, or state governments that they are classified as subordinate agencies of those governments in Census Bureau statistics on governments, and are not counted as separate special district governments.

In order to be classified as a special district government, rather than as a subordinate agency, an entity must possess three attributes—existence as an organized entity, governmental character, and substantial autonomy. Each state description also lists various statutory authorities, commissions, corporations, and other forms of organizations that have certain governmental characteristics, but are subject by law to administrative or fiscal control by the state or by independent local governments; therefore, they are classified as subordinate agencies of those governments.[3]

How would they be used or relevant in Lakewood? DowntowN should be a SID. As such they could have more say into the design and delivering on downtown, without placing the burden on residents and the community. They would still get city services, but offload a lot of the esthetics of the area onto the shop owners that directly benefit by it.

Likewise The Gold Coast could be a SID. The city within the city could have more say into their immediate surroundings, and the rest of the city could relax some of their oversight and expenses.

The trade off is simple to understand, if you can pay for it, you have a good shot of getting it done. If you can't raise money.

Clifton Park could be another SID, releasing the residents of Birdtown, from paying for flowers in CP.

Certainly the East side of Lakewood could use a SID right now, as the Phantasy area because the center of entertainment in Lakewood. This would give those in the area much more control over their surroundings, and allow them to spend as they wish on making things better.

Lakewood for decades as put business on the back of residents, a topsy turvey life at best.

Lakewood, let's get some SIDs going.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Stan Austin
Contributor

Re: Lakewood Needs SIDs, And To Stop Bleeding The City And Residents

Postby Stan Austin » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:36 pm

I would offer a note of caution that when special designations carry the force of law it can have reverse consequences such as the Historic designation of certain parts of Edgewater Drive that had the effect of crippling development or necessary progress.

Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:24 pm

Stan Austin wrote:I would offer a note of caution that when special designations carry the force of law it can have reverse consequences such as the Historic designation of certain parts of Edgewater Drive that had the effect of crippling development or necessary progress.

Good point.
The city has been experiencing increased racial diversity for the past 20 years, and the trend will continue for the foreseeable future.
In additin, the Pandemic will accelerate income inequality throughout America, including here in Lakewood.
I fear that SIDs could be used by some wealthier/more connected citizens to unofficially "secede" or segregate from the broader city.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:21 pm

Michael Deneen wrote:
Stan Austin wrote:I would offer a note of caution that when special designations carry the force of law it can have reverse consequences such as the Historic designation of certain parts of Edgewater Drive that had the effect of crippling development or necessary progress.

Good point.
The city has been experiencing increased racial diversity for the past 20 years, and the trend will continue for the foreseeable future.
In additin, the Pandemic will accelerate income inequality throughout America, including here in Lakewood.
I fear that SIDs could be used by some wealthier/more connected citizens to unofficially "secede" or segregate from the broader city.

Oh, you think SIDs would start that?!

What it would do is allow the city to concentrate $$$$$ and energy on sections outside the special interest district. There is no one seceding from anyone.

Lakewoodites cannot and should not be burden with supporting businesses in any way outside of shopping and shared services.

At some point businesses and people are going to have to step up. As outlined here on the deck in 2005, The city should worry about clean and safe. Let SIDs, people, groups, etc create the fun, the beauty, the parks, the frills, etc. Without a SID Coventry would be just like any other street. Same with that small section of Lee Road.

Stan, Mike you two really ready to pay about $2 million for bollards for the bars and restaurants?

I doubt it, let the SIDs, pay for them and rent the space from the city. Now, everyone wins in the expansion of dinning and drinking.

It only makes sense.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:45 am

Confirming Covid-19 Recovery Rates

Rather than spend funds on "parklets", the most cost-effective action that the City of Lakewood can take is to immediately support, fund, and conduct antigen testing to verify the recovery rates that the Ohio Department of Health is now listing on its dashboard.

The Wall Street Journal reported over the weekend that millions of dollars for testing have gone unclaimed at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

The money is out there. All that Lakewood lacks is the infrastructure to use it.

I raised this issue in writing with the Mayor and City Council in April. (That letter is posted on the Deck elsewhere). Most of you have already read it.

The City of Lakewood should begin a voluntary program of antigen testing under the supervision of a trained epidemiologist.

This would be the surest way to support public confidence in all Lakewood businesses, not just bars and restaurants.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:02 am

Mark

This had nothing to do with COVID, or our dismal response to it. Though I appreciate your answer.

Lakewood has for decades had this strange philosophy that we should pay businesses to be here. That takes on all sorts of specials directed towards business normally at the expense of residents. Money siphoned off through all sorts of programs and promotions.

I have always thought that in a city of 10,000 people per square mile, businesses should be left to the organics of the times. As soon as City Hall or government gets involved in businesses it creates an artificial game board. While sometimes it makes sense, normally it leads to heartbreak and failure down the road. Where organic business growth, i.e, what springs up and succeeds naturally provides an easy in, and an easy out when they run their course, as all businesses do 1 -200 years.

The last two administration decided that Lakewood would be an entertainment/destination city. instead of the best and safest place to raise a family. So it became easier to open bars, expand their seating, even going where they had never gone before into churches and within feet of schools. I am not saying I am for or against any of that, I am just saying when one time quiet neighborhoods get over run with fast food drive-thrus, and side streets become the overflow lots for bars and restaurants, you kind of notice the change.

So now we are clamoring for much more aid, $$$$$$, and of course space for our bars and restaurants during the pandemic. As the last paragraph explains, we worked to bring them here. Old City Hall and Council worked 24/7/365 getting rid of nasty health care, forcing it out. For more place to eat and drink. Non-organic growth. Desperately needing more artificial stimulus, probably forever.

A SID, could address all these issues faster and easier. Of course the outcome would come faster and easier too.

If you think Lakewood is done with these issues by this time next year, I have some bridges you might want to buy.

Lakewood, Lakewood Businesses, Non-Profits, and Residents need to get sharp not just during this pandemic, but long term.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:19 am

Observation

Over the past 5 years, I took the time to take a serious interest in our local government. I studied hundreds of pages of public documents. I've written more than 1,000 posts here; many illustrated with actual public documents or other data analysis.

(I'm a former public official and an attorney with more than 40 years of increasingly sophisticated legal practice.)

If I had one recommendation to make as a citizen, rate/tax payer, resident, and voter, it would be this. Our public officials should stop giving away major public assets and public funds to private parties.

If a SID would prevent such multi-million dollar hand-outs, I would support the concept.

We all spent public and personal funds to repair Lakewood sidewalks and streets, now the Planning Commission is giving them away to private parties for outdoor dining and actual cash-subsidies are on the table too in city council.

At the same time, during a pandemic of national proportions with our state under "state-of-emergency" orders, we all know that invaluable public health and public healthcare infrastructure was closed and demolished under the last two administrations.

Please, be well and stay safe.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:29 am

Mark

The history of Lakewood Politics is a group of people all wanting to give it away, in an effort to "spark" and engine that was already running, and very smoothly.

Sim City, might have been the real culprit, that sent thousands of people to school to learn "city planning" and then enter the snake oil sales errrrr politicans.

If you look at the various plans laid out to the city you will see none were for Lakewood, all were co-opted by good meaning people who couldn't buy a clue after winning the lottery.

"Mainstreet" A program you paid I think $40,000 first year, $20,000 after it per year. After the check clears you are "Awarded" membership in "Mainstreet." Everyone makes a huge deal out of being "selected" as a "Mainstreet City." As such, you have to have a city center with a Gazebo. Mark I have documented the tens of thousands dollars and thousands of man hours put forward to get a Gazebo near the center of town. Never mind the fact, that we have Gazbos at Lakewood and Madison Park. Nope, need to spend thousands, as it was part of our "Mainstreet" Duty. The "Mainstreet" Program was designed for cities like Niles, Wooster, Madison, etc. Old cities that had malls. As a member you could find out where to buy historical accurate lamps, flower boxes, etc. This is where the Flower Box program got its start. Eventually those having to pay the yearly fee, could not come up with the fees over their salaries, so it was co-opted into "DowntowN" which is copying "Mainstreet" with the payment.

I find it sad their complete lack of creativity, for decades.

This was all done after the "WestEnd Strip Mall Project" Where the city would give the very Developers getting sued by the City of Cleveland for not delivering on their promises at Shaker Square, $20,000,000.00 to throw 1,500 tax payers out of their homes, and build a strip mall. As this was going on, Malls and retail were starting to show signs of failure because of this thing called The Internet. No matter, many of the same people that decided to sell off the hospital and pay for "Mainstreet" assured us, the world would end without a massive strip mall on some of the most valuable property in Lakewood! Their battle cry for buying friends, "We need shopping!" oh and "What don't you like about the Cheesecake Factory?" I wish I was lying.

This band of foo err people, love to believe they are the Cleveland Foundation. The new "Three Arches" formed by these people was patterned off of the Cleveland Foundation. The Cleveland Foundation is one of the largest foundations of its kind in the world. One of the oldest too. Today it was reported that the exodus from Cleveland has increased and it is now one of the fastest loss of populations in the country. Thank you Cleveland Foundation for your lake of leadership and vision.

So you see since the Sinagra Administration City officials treated the city like their personal lives and tried to buy friends.

This continues to this very day, though Megan is into running the city, not buying friends.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”