LO_16_17 On The Streets And Online -

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

LO_16_17 On The Streets And Online -

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:49 am

“Ideologies separate us. Dreams and anguish bring us together.” - Eugene Ionesco

Thank you to everyone for stepping up and rolling out another issue cataloging out past, future and present. Lakewoodites working together to keep a record of our history and deeds good and bad.

You can pick up a paper at over 100 locations around town, and or download it here:
http://media.lakewoodobserver.com/issue_pdfs/Observer_Vol_16_Issue_17.pdf

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Stan Austin
Contributor

Re: LO_16_17 On The Streets And Online -

Postby Stan Austin » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:49 pm

Dennis DeVito has an excellent article on recycling in this issue. However, I would suggest you read this

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/11/89769209 ... dYROtFBwBw

what to do?

mjkuhns

Re: LO_16_17 On The Streets And Online -

Postby mjkuhns » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:09 pm

Stan Austin wrote:Dennis DeVito has an excellent article on recycling in this issue. However, I would suggest you read this

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/11/89769209 ... dYROtFBwBw

what to do?

I read that this morning, too.

I wasn't shocked. I was surprised, although I shouldn't have been.

The classic guidance applies: "reduce, reuse, recycle, in that order."

For anyone who doesn't want plastic waste simply turning into garbage, the conclusion to draw from the NPR article is that large-scale plastic recycling is not likely to become profitable, any time soon, so long as it's competing with new plastic and an oil industry which enjoys all kinds of direct and indirect subsidies.

We can still recycle some meaningful portion of waste plastic, but we should not expect doing so to become substantially easier or cheaper any time soon, under the rules and systems which shape the current market. The path to less waste plastic is changes to our systems, including use of less disposable plastic in the first place.

Bottom line: waste plastic, like COVID-19, like climate change, like multiple other problems, are collective-action problems despite a prevailing culture which has insisted for decades (even when fully, explicitly knowing better) that laissez-faire and you're-on-your-own are the only game in town.

:: matt kuhns ::

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”