Hospital debacle nears end point

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Dan Alaimo

Hospital debacle nears end point

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:18 pm

Probably the most misbegotten chapter in Lakewood's history is drawing to a close, now pending a vote by City Council. All that will be left is a pit in the ground fouled by hazardous chemicals.

Lakewood agrees to settlement to fully sever ties with former developer of Lakewood Hospital site
cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio – The city of Lakewood has reached an agreement to sever ties with a developer it previously partnered with to put apartments, ...

https://www.cleveland.com/realestate-ne ... -site.html

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Bridget Conant

Re: Hospital debacle nears end point

Postby Bridget Conant » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:04 pm

“We’ll be left with the bricks and mortar!”

Oh the battle cry!

But as the Save Lakewood Hospital group warned, these actions would irreparably harm the city.

AND THEY DID.

We are now stuck with a GREAT BIG HOLE in the middle of the city.

No hospital, no jobs, no income, NOTHING.

What a shame people didn’t listen.

ryan costa

Postby ryan costa » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:36 pm

The debacle concluded years ago.

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:54 am

If only we still had rhe bricks and mortar. They found a way to stretch it out until long after the bricks and mortar were gone. Nothing to show for it.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
ryan costa

Postby ryan costa » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:28 am

it is now just a matter of securing federal funds.
https://www.epa.gov/superfund

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:19 pm

Dan Alaimo wrote:If only we still had rhe bricks and mortar. They found a way to stretch it out until long after the bricks and mortar were gone. Nothing to show for it.

Actually the truth of the matter is.

Lakewood Hospital would just be finishing up their complete rebuild/rehash of the old building and new construction. As laid out before the last two administrations conspired to sell it off for $1.00.

There was just enough money in all of the non-profits LHA, Community Board, and City of Lakewood to do the complete rebuild. But then, some people would not have their errrrrr our money for their make pretend Baby Cleveland Foundation known as 3Arches.

Yep, the professional building would still be pulling in rent. The hospital would be cranking with COVID testing and emergencies. And DowntowN would still be viable.

Instead, we spent even more than that and ended up with less.

Thank you Ed FitzGerald, Michel P. Summers, and all of the members of Build Lakewood.

There's a hole in Daddy's town where all the money goes...

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:48 pm

I am still looking for a higher and better---first-- get a definitive elimination of the "non compete" clause. Then go with the Metro Health proposal that would provide ?????real actual medical services and care??? Certain folks threw rolls of paper towels at us. Stomp ,em down forever in the history of Lakewood.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:33 pm

Stan Austin wrote:I am still looking for a higher and better---first-- get a definitive elimination of the "non compete" clause. Then go with the Metro Health proposal that would provide ?????real actual medical services and care??? Certain folks threw rolls of paper towels at us. Stomp ,em down forever in the history of Lakewood.

I've never been clear that the "non-compete" was real. I've heard various things. So I'd like to know more.

One thing I'm sure of is Metro made its proposal at the time when it was planning its big expansion, now underway. That's why the short deadline and probably why they were pissed off at how Summers & Co. blew them off. Time has passed, the regime has changed in Lakewood, but I wouldn't be hopeful.

When do we get our dollar back?
$1÷50000=0.00002 - I want it.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:13 am

The non-compete clause is real. All the attorneys have read it. The Metro offer was real at the time it was made.

I'm going to hold further comment until I actually have had the opportunity to review the settlement agreement.

As usual, the Plain Dealer has some of this wrong. The cost of the demolition, asbestos abatement, and environment remediation was millions of dollars more than the $1.7M reported in Mr. Helsig's article on Sunday (at page 21).

Mr. O'Bryan's summary is accurate.

A very sad chapter in the history of Lakewood moves on to its next sad pages.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:48 am

ryan costa wrote:The debacle concluded years ago.

Yes.

During a national opioid epidemic, loot and demolish an award-winning acute care hospital right down to the f**king doorknobs.

Now, during a global viral pandemic, the conclusion of the debacle is obvious for all to see and suffer.

Bitter? Yes, I am bitter!

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:31 am

Mark Kindt wrote:
Bitter? Yes, I am bitter!

What is amazing, is just how well off Lakewood would be right now, had the hospital been fixed.

Not only would we have a working hospital paying taxes(payroll) and helping with business in DowntowN, but we would be $248 million ahead of the game.

Right now, last two administrations squandered all of our assets to get re-elected, left the city, one of the poorest communities next to the poorest large city in America.

But at least they have dinner parties with our $$$$$$ while paying for Bike Lanes in Old Brooklyn, and other items in other cities they have invested in.

Bitter? I get it.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:24 pm

For The Future

I write this for the any local elected official who reads this:

I'm sure other Ohio cities have been abandoned by their largest employers to the detriment of their communities.

Only in Lakewood, Ohio did the elected official close-down their largest employer.

'nuff said.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:13 pm

Stan Austin wrote:throwing rolls of paper towels at us

Where can I get the paper towels you speak of?

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:21 pm

tenor_gif5659230962688256296_4.gif
tenor_gif5659230962688256296_4.gif (254.11 KiB) Viewed 8759 times

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”