Mike Summers Launches His 2011 Campaign For Mayor

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Mike Summers Launches His 2011 Campaign For Mayor

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue May 17, 2011 10:18 pm

Tonight Mayor Mike Summers kicked of his bid to be elected Mayor of Lakewood, Ohio
and to help with the kick off, County Executive Edward Fitzerald came back into town, and the scene for many of his State of the City speeches Lakewood Masonic Auditorium.

Ed kicked off the evening, with conversations about what is going on in the county...

... an spoke of working with Mike when he was Mayor and why he handpicked Mike
as his successor.

Then Mayor Summers took the stage and spoke of his first time in the Auditorium, at the
High School Prom introducing some of his classmates in the auditorium. Then spoke of
what would be needed by the people in the room to return him to the Mayor's office.

In attendance showing support were all of the members of City Council, ex Mayor
Madeline Cain, and School Board member Betsy Shaugnessy.

Mike Sumers For Mayor website: http://www.votemikesummers.com/

More later

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Ryan Salo

Re: Mike Summers Launches His 2011 Campaign For Mayor

Postby Ryan Salo » Wed May 18, 2011 8:59 am

an spoke of working with Mike when he was Mayor and why he handpicked Mike
as his successor.

Did Ed really say this? I mean we all knew this happened behind closed doors but I am shocked he would publicly admit this.

I can't wait to see the financial reports on Mike's campaign, will be interesting to see how much of Ed's money is in there. Wonder if Ed will still have his face on all the literature showing "his hand selected team" :)

Same system, different players...

Ryan Salo
Scott Meeson

Postby Scott Meeson » Wed May 18, 2011 10:17 am

Ryan Salo wrote:
an spoke of working with Mike when he was Mayor and why he handpicked Mike
as his successor.

Did Ed really say this? I mean we all knew this happened behind closed doors but I am shocked he would publicly admit this.

Ryan,

If so, there's something about Ed's comment that really irks the sh*t out of me:

Scott

If you would understand anything, observe its beginning and its development.
- Aristotle
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed May 18, 2011 11:05 am

Scott/Ryan

While it sounds terrible, I am not convinced it was meant exactly like that.

One would hope that a mayor cares enough about a city, that when he leaves prematurely for greener
pastures he wants to see his plans and ideas carried out, as he envisioned them.

Ed had the pleasure of working with Mike for two years, and though they come from opposite sides of
the political arena, I am sure there was a comfort level that lead to the decision.

As I used to say in the past. Tom George made a lot of sense because he was "friends" with Jimmy Dimora
who was running the county. Certainly the same could be said of Mike and Ed.

FWIW

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Ryan Salo

Postby Ryan Salo » Wed May 18, 2011 1:37 pm

Tom George made a lot of sense because he was "friends" with Jimmy Dimora

Are you comparing Ed with Jimmy? :wink:

I hope you get in this race.

Ryan Salo
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed May 18, 2011 3:07 pm

Ryan Salo wrote:
Tom George made a lot of sense because he was "friends" with Jimmy Dimora

Are you comparing Ed with Jimmy? :wink:

I hope you get in this race.

Ryan

No, I have never know Ed to do anything is remotely illegal.

What I am saying is, do you play into the power structure. Let's be honest, The Ds have traded out one massive
power structure for another in this county. However along with it comes maybe things one must do, such as
give in possibly forever to the "Regional Dream."

Also is Ed settled or does he try to unseat Kasich? I would hope so. Then what happens? Does Mike go to
county and ???? fills his seat? I find it all very fascinating. I think you could run a 2x4 against the Governor
and win right now.

As for running...

I refuse to talk about it in this thread or until July.

Mike's thread, Mike's night, Mike's campaign, why clutter it up now?

FWIW

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Steve Hoffert

Postby Steve Hoffert » Wed May 18, 2011 8:03 pm

Why use M instead of S? M is Illuminati symbology for "13" which is more prominent on the podium than even the speaker. They announced his candidacy in a Masonic Hall on a date that adds up to 26, a multiple of 13. There are 7 letters in "Service" and 6 letters in "Growth" adding up to 13 which equal "Safety" for those seek protection and personal gain from the dark side. Interesting for those who believe that displaying these type of symbols show allegiance to the those who would enslave society and move toward, dare a say, a new world order.

Don't you just love conspiracy theory?

Scott Meeson

Postby Scott Meeson » Thu May 19, 2011 5:00 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Ryan

As for running...

I refuse to talk about it in this thread or until July.

Mike's thread, Mike's night, Mike's campaign, why clutter it up now?

FWIW

Jim,

Who are you kidding? No way do you dare run against Mike Summers. :P

But for anyone who does decide to run, I'm sure Mayor Summers appreciates any delay in campaigning that you can provide. After all, every day he's in office is another day that provides opportunity to generate some POSITIVE MOJO for himself.

IMHO

Scott

- Aristotle
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu May 19, 2011 6:45 am

Scott Meeson wrote:Jim,

Who are you kidding? No way do you dare run against Mike Summers. :P

But for anyone who does decide to run, I'm sure Mayor Summers appreciates any delay in campaigning that you can provide. After all, every day he's in office is another day that provides opportunity to generate some POSITIVE MOJO for himself.

IMHO

Scott

Scott

Thank god you did not double dog dare me, then I would have to :roll:

If I can add to the debate, the discussion, the community in a positive way, I would run against anyone
should I feel it is the right thing to do. I had many reasons not to in the past, most if not all have been
tied up nicely, and it does leave an opening to run, should I make that decision.

HOWEVER

I like Mike Summers, we have been friends since second grade. I have often lived and survived under the
governing of Mike Summers, though on a low level like Student Council. It was not hell, I did not feel betrayed
of the worse for wear. Mike and his whole family are good people. As Ed FitzGerald said the other night one
of the most respected people in Lakewood. I can buy into that.

Does that mean Mike and I have the same vision for what Lakewood needs? How we handle the deficit? How
we would both handle the problems and good things in town. I believe not. I know this is not true because I
have had many discussions with Mike, since he became mayor, and throughout his life.

You know it is funny. I know all three people currently talking of running. All three like each other. All three
have completely different views on what is important to Lakewood. All three are potentially right in their
thoughts, but all three take us on different pathways to make Lakewood more solid in the future.

You have a hardcore regionalist, a hard core home rule, and a person that could do either. You have one that
is good with established businesses and schools, one that is good with security and schools, and one that is
good with innovation, and thinking out of the box. One that has spent 1/5th of his recent life trying to give
everyone an equal and open voice. While willing to stand in and answer questions. The other two, well lets
just say they prefer to control the message and the discussion. The best part is they all love Lakewood, and
at some level LOVE each other. This would be a tremendous time to run, debate, talk of issues and ideas. This
could be the best election cycle ever for Lakewood, both locally and on a larger stage.

Scott, as for the delay in campaigning. Do you really want to live in a world where people campaign more than
they server? Do you really want to have to concentrate on November elections in May? June? July? It seems
that the PROS never stop campaigning. Me personally, I think it is crazy. But that is just me. Everyone around
me is telling me, to jump in and jump in Big. It is not my style. Before launching the LO, we studied it for
almost two years. Before most of the businesses I am involved in I made sure I had something to make it
work, and tried to understand it, and all the nuances of it. It will be no different if I decide to run for mayor.
I was down at the BOE, and thought, why not pull paperwork while I was there. I signed the book, I did not
have to, but I do not understand "hidden" candidates. Why not be open from day one. From there one of the
"real" news sources because of a slow news day "Said Favre, Summers, O'Bryan" run for mayor. At that point
and to my knowledge still to this day, no one has their paper work in and approved. I believe Matt Markling is
the only candidate this fall to be actually ready to run, with all the i(s) dotted and t(s) crossed. Which should
give all of us something to think about on this wonderful day in MAY!

Scott, Mike and Ed will do as Mike and Ed must do. I will be the same way, I always am.

Life in Lakewood, how can you not love it?

I know I do.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Scott Meeson

Postby Scott Meeson » Thu May 19, 2011 10:59 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote: As Ed FitzGerald said the other night one
of the most respected people in Lakewood. I can buy into that.

Jim,

That about says it all -a big mountain to climb! I just don’t think any candidate is going to climb that mountain in a short period of time.

Over before they really started:

(If possible, turn volume down on #1 and up on #2 and play at same time) :)

Jim, I have no doubts about your love for this city.

Scott Meeson

- Aristotle
Colleen Wing

Postby Colleen Wing » Thu May 19, 2011 11:42 am

My son was jumped on by two of his fellow students on the sidewalk IN FRONT of Lakewood City Hall after school last week (and yes, there is a police report). So it would be great if everyone how is running and is currently in office would just pull their head out of the sand or wherever their heads are and take this seriously.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri May 20, 2011 7:48 am

Colleen Wing wrote:My son was jumped on by two of his fellow students on the sidewalk IN FRONT of Lakewood City Hall after school last week (and yes, there is a police report). So it would be great if everyone how is running and is currently in office would just pull their head out of the sand or wherever their heads are and take this seriously.

I answer this as a Lakewoodite

Colleen

I hate hearing this. Violent crime is bad wherever, and should never be tolerated, when it
involves kids, bullying, punks whatever, it is worse. Please keep all of us posted on what
happens. I would imagine that both the police, council and school board is working
with you on this? I have to admit it seems pretty brazen to do it in front of the police station.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Fri May 20, 2011 9:41 am

Once again reinforces my opinion that parents should be charged with the crimes their children commit. It's amazing how few parents actually feel responsibility to have to actually parent and teach their kids values and respect.

I hope everything turns out ok Colleen.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”