Fitzgerald in Violation of Election Laws

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Stephen Eisel

Postby Stephen Eisel » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:04 pm

I can't wait until tomorrow when we can resume our regular routine of bashing the President and belittling Republicans across the nation...Thanks JOB for sprinkling in a little of that all along so I would not go through withdrawl
I say stay the course and elect another republican president so we can keep this regular routine going :D

Ivor Karabatkovic

Postby Ivor Karabatkovic » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:24 pm

Lebron was a Yankees fan since he was little.

It's like the Republican that's only republican because their parents were and their grandparents were and etc etc.

I know of many people that support a party just because they were raised on a party.

Cry all you want about how Lebron is Cleveland's savior and all that. He has his choice and his choice was the team that he always rooted for. Yes it might be a bad marketing move, but if you were a high profile figure and you had a chance to support a candidate publicly and endorse them- if you didn't believe that the candidate was the best one to do the job but rather it would be a good publicity stunt, would you say to millions of viewers and followers "hey, I support this candidate" and then vote for the other?

Just like people were raised with different beliefs and traditions those all factor in to what party they vote for. People usually don't change political stances too often. Especially not for just some marketing stunt that might be good for business.

Stephen Eisel

Postby Stephen Eisel » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:31 pm

And some people just vote D or R with out evening looking at the individual candidate... :shock:

Ivor Karabatkovic

Postby Ivor Karabatkovic » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:41 pm

Colleen,

don't think that just because we have an election in our city, that we took a vacation from bashing the President.

Then I'd really be bored.

I met a young woman that was eager to get the city informed and was eager to run for council this fall as she rang my doorbell and dropped of a brochure, it looked as if she was excited to work in City Hall regardless of who mayor is.

Is it the same person that posted the idea for a Ward 3 debate and block watch and all these positive things, the same person that's posting now reminding us about how harmful Democrat public officials are to our city?

I mean, you were running for city council, I'm sure you know what the demographic of the city is, when it comes to Rep/Dem. Right?

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:48 pm

Stephen Eisel wrote:And some people just vote D or R with out evening looking at the individual candidate... :shock:

Yes, that's the sad thing...it really shouldn't matter. A candidate should stand on their own.

Bill Call

g

Postby Bill Call » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:16 pm

Bryan Schwegler wrote:I know the Mayor asked for a tax increase several times. I know court filings for crime are up. To people that live in Ward 3, crime is up in their areas and they're worried. Even the incomplete FBI stats show increases in some areas.

This whole thing is very confusing.

The Mayor tells the bonding agencies that he will be seeking an income tax increase in 2008.

The Mayor tried very, very, very hard to get an increase on the ballot.

Ed Fitgerald says that the Mayor supports an income tax increase.

The election board rules that it is a violation of some kind or another for Fitzgerald to say the Mayor supports and income tax increase.

What do it mean? What do it mean?

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:30 pm

What do it mean? What do it mean?

Bill:

What it means that we were in the midst of a particularly disconcerting election.....where spin overtook substance. But, more importantly, it means that in about 5 hours, it will be over.

Keep track of the promises made by all the candidates, Ladies and Gentlemen. That score card is far more important than trying to sort out the spin zone.

Jeff

To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue â€â€
David Lay

Postby David Lay » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:06 pm

Does anyone have a copy of the actual ruling?

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com
stephen davis

Postby stephen davis » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:20 pm

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street.
Used to be the heart of town.
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart.
You just gotta poke around.

Robert Hunter/Sometimes attributed to Ezra Pound.
Jennifer Pae

Postby Jennifer Pae » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:00 pm

I spent yesterday at the Ohio Elections Commission and this is what happened:

The partial commission yesterday morning found probable cause for the violations filed by FitzGerald Campaign against George (the ammunition issue), and also found probable cause on the additional violations filed by George Campaign against FitzGerald (making false statements about filing a complaint to the EOC). These probable causing findings will be scheduled for a full Commission Hearing at a later date.

The Commission at the full hearing yesterday afternoon found FitzGerald in violation of 6 election laws. For the failure to disclose information on his campaign video, he will get a letter of reprimand. For the 5 violations of providing false information (Mayor's income tax increase & the million dollar budgeting mistake), he will be fined with the money going to a good cause. He was not found in violation of claiming the City is facing a million dollar-plus deficit in 2008, because it was published in the budget book's five-year forecast.

In regards to the "Mayor's" income tax increase, the Commission recognized that the mayor cannot increase income taxes. Per City Charter, it must be placed on the ballot by City Council and go to the vote of the people. The mayor can talk about it, but he can't do it. Therefore, you cannot claim someone can,did,will,wants to, hopes to, etc, etc increase taxes if it is not within their authority.

Rick Uldricks

Postby Rick Uldricks » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:08 pm

deleted
Last edited by Rick Uldricks on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Eisel

Postby Stephen Eisel » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:10 pm

Rick Uldricks wrote:This is all very silly and I think all of us know that exaggerations, embellishments, and sometimes lies occur during most elections.

Out of curiosity, what is the penalty for saying there are Weapons of Mass Destruction when there really aren't?
re-election :D

Bill Varkonyi

re-election

Postby Bill Varkonyi » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:13 pm

Stephen Eisel wrote:
Rick Uldricks wrote:This is all very silly and I think all of us know that exaggerations, embellishments, and sometimes lies occur during most elections.

Out of curiosity, what is the penalty for saying there are Weapons of Mass Destruction when there really aren't?
re-election :D

:lol: That made me laugh out loud.

"This damned mold keeps destroying my cultures." ~ Louis Pasteur
Rick Uldricks

Postby Rick Uldricks » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 pm

deleted
Last edited by Rick Uldricks on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Scott

Postby David Scott » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:49 pm

OK, its all been explained now - and its post election - but as near as I can summize Fitzgerald was penalized for stating that George wanted to push thru an income tax increase when he doesn't have the authority to do that, even though he publicaly supported such increase.

So George used semantics to file an elction violation ? Really, that just seems petty. Anyone with knowledge of the situation knows George was trying to get an income tax increase. Facts are facts. If he wants to play with wording thats great, but really his political career and credibility are at stake.

what happens to a dream deferred .......

maybe it just sags like a heavy load
or does it explode ?
- Langston Hughes

Return to “2007 Lakewood Mayoral Election”