Move school funding to the state level?

For anything related to schools and education in Lakewood. Includes discussions, announcements, and schedules.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

mjkuhns

Move school funding to the state level?

Postby mjkuhns » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:56 pm

State Representative Andrew Brenner has proposed legislation that would move school funding to the state level, as a way "to start serious discussions about what works and what doesn't with Ohio's system of paying for schools."

If implemented as written, the result "would wipe out all local school levies and bond issues and fund every school in Ohio through the state. Out would go all the local campaigns to raise your property taxes every few years. The disparities in taxes raised by districts with lots of industry and those with none would vanish. You'd pay the same state property tax rate for schools as residents anywhere else in Ohio."

Cleveland.com has a full article summarizing the most obvious implications, and likely complaints.
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2016/12/want_a_new_school_funding_plan.html

Personally, I suspect that nearly all political persuasions will find something to distrust here. But I feel like putting that to the test out of curiosity. Brenner himself said that "For now, he just wants discussion to start."

So, how about it?

:: matt kuhns ::
bentleymike

Re: Move school funding to the state level?

Postby bentleymike » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:35 pm

Matt-
This is a real tough situation. I understand the thought process, because it has been ruled unconstitutional. I'd like to see it tried, but political favors can be done to screw over any school district. If the plan was drawn up properly, I'd be in. The issue I see is where does the money come from? Income tax? Sales tax? A statewide property tax? That's what isn't clear.

Looking at the Lakewood Schools Report Card that just came in the mail, it looks like local tax revenue has increased nicely, because of the boom in home prices in Lakewood. This has helped the schools stay ahead of pace, and not yet need to request a levy.

Mike Bentley
mjkuhns

Postby mjkuhns » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:49 pm

According to the article, the proposal calls for funds from "income taxes, a new statewide property tax for schools and possibly sales taxes." Which sounds like it may mean "I'm not particular, and will be content with whatever source produces the least screaming."

:wink:

bentleymike

Postby bentleymike » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:54 pm

mjkuhns wrote:According to the article, the proposal calls for funds from "income taxes, a new statewide property tax for schools and possibly sales taxes." Which sounds like it may mean "I'm not particular, and will be content with whatever source produces the least screaming."

:wink:

That's what I mean. No one has an answer. No one likes taxes, but you have to do it on a scale that everyone pays. Property tax gets the owners, not the renters. That's why sales tax seems to be a best way out. Of course, paying $135 for the $100 coat really isn't fun either.

Mike Bentley
mjkuhns

Postby mjkuhns » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Well, for what it's worth, in my own experience landlords have not been shy about raising rent after a property tax increase, and making it quite plain that they think I should pay for it.

Return to “Schools & Education in Lakewood”