Lakewood Music Legend Passes On

Where, what, & who noteworthy topics about what's going on in Lakewood and its neighborhoods.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Jim O'Bryan

Lakewood Music Legend Passes On

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:21 am

All

It came to my attention that John DeFrasia passed away this morning at 5:45am. Services
will be later in the week at Craciun Funeral Home on Center Ridge, and will be posted here.

I had the pleasure of working with John and his family on various projects including the
Jimmy Hyena Club New Year Eve Parties, which lead to the rebuilding of the Phantasy
Theater as Jimmy's Hyena Club where we worked together to make it a world class facility,
at the time attraction top acts from around the world.

While my time there was only a year, as the venue was grabbed by Belkins and later for
the first home of the House of Blues, my time there are some of my favorite memories.
John and his entire family stayed close friends to me and my wife who they had a certain
fondness for that continues to this day. A very tough man, but a class act, and amazing
father whose love for his family knew no bounds.

John had a club at 16024 Madison Avenue, which was called the Robinhood. This was the
hangout of many gangsters of the time and you could always see big black limos in front
of the place on my walk home from school. It was also the hangout of Mike Douglas who
was living in Lakewood at the time of his show on Channel 5, and it was during the
weekends when John would break the law and have a talented little 15-year-old singer
come and perform to the crowd. Later this girl would get a spot on the Mike Douglas
Show, and was "discovered" and taken to New York, when she would go on to become
Barbara Streisand!

He would later go on to purchase the Phantasy Entertainment Complex that comprised
4 clubs, one theater, and one restaurant. For awhile it was the hottest spot in town. Later
on as the girls took over management it became one of the few places in town that welcomed
local bands and talents, and the list of bands that went through there was astonishing and
while overlooked in many books on rock and roll in Cleveland, it was the Beachland before
there was a Beachland. The basement and theater was the practice place for Lucky Pierre
whose members went on to Prick/Cats on Holiday/Dixon Family and many others including
the Exotic Birds, who went on to be Nine Inch Nails to name a few.

While John was getting up there in years, he stayed active in the day to day running of the
complex, which I hope will be continued by the Michelle, and family.

John, you were one in a million, and will be sorely missed by me, and all of the thousands
that passed through the doors of all of your clubs.

RIP - Love

peace

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Jim O'Bryan

Re: Lakewood Music Legend Passes On

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:57 pm

John Anthony DeFrasia
JOHN A. De FRASIA, age 91, beloved husband for 57 years of Diane; loving and devoted father of Catherine, Michele, Diane (Matt) Gillespie, Mary, John and Maggie; dearest grandfather of McKenna, Christina and Annabella; dear brother of Ray (deceased), Dora Santora (deceased) and Anthony Sanshey. Proud Navy Veteran WWII. FAMILY WILL RECEIVE FRIENDS THURSDAY 2-4 and 7-9 P.M. AT CRACIUN BERRY FUNERAL 23040 CENTER RIDGE RD. Funeral Mass Friday 9:30 a.m. at St. Christopher Catholic Church. Interment Holy Cross Cemetery. Online condolences at: www.craciunfuneralhomes.com

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood Out & About”