LCC Youth Hit The Streets Again For The Homeless

Where, what, & who noteworthy topics about what's going on in Lakewood and its neighborhoods.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Jim O'Bryan

LCC Youth Hit The Streets Again For The Homeless

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:16 am

While I was out running around last night in the coldest night of the year, I was looking
forward to running into the kids and parents that were collecting money for the homeless
while helping their children better understand what it might be like being homeless and
sleeping outside in a box.

The kids down at Pilgrim St. Paul asking those driving by to stop and donate. This group
in eyesight of Congressman Kucinich's office who said, "Poverty is a weapon of mass
destruction. Homelessness is a weapon of mass destruction. Unemployment is a
weapon of mass destruction."

I always enjoy talking to the kids who are excited about the opportunity to sleep out,
in boxes, and the parents that dread the cold, but are there to help.

Kids at Lakewood Congregational asking cars to stop and give.

Meanwhile on the south side of Detroit, kids ask cars going the other direction to
give with their hearts.

By morning the kids will admit to fun, and how cold it can get, but their enthusiasm
does not wane from the project, though it seems the parents, really hate the cold
by 7am!

Box City in front of St. Peter's Episcopal Church.

A standing ovation to the kids and the parents that have kept this great program going
for the past 5 years.

While some have compared them to panhandlers, it is completely unjust, as the kids are
extremely polite, work as a group, and are doing for those that are desperately in need.

Thank you LCC and the participants.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Jim O'Bryan

Re: LCC Youth Hit The Streets Again For The Homeless

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:24 pm

St. Peters and Box City in the morning. After a cold night everyone was happy daylight and the end was near.

Reminds me of...

Morning maniac music!

OK, maybe on a different scale, but the message nearly the same.

PEACE/LOVE

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Danielle Masters

Postby Danielle Masters » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:23 pm

Every year we drive by and are so impressed with all the youth that participate in this awesome event. This year my 11 year old son spent the evening with the youth group at St. Peter's. He had a wonderful time and looks forward to doing it again next year. I was surprised to find out that kids as young as 10 participate in this activity. We really should be proud of these great kids in this community that are willing to give up a Saturday night (a frigid one at that) to raise money and awareness for those less fortunate than themselves.

Their homes for the night.

Collecting money on the corner of W. Clifton and Detroit.

David Anderson

Postby David Anderson » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:19 pm

Thanks for posting about this insightful experience, Jim and Danielle.

The youth groups and adult leaders of St. Peter’s, St. Paul’s and Lakewood Congregational deserve much applause and appreciation for their willingness to bring attention to this important issue and raise a bit of money to help local shelters. (Was a fourth church also involved?)

I did this a few years ago as an adult “supervisor” to the group from St. Peter’s. It was easily the worst night of my life but did provide tremendous perspective regarding how one can get trapped into a state of poverty and homelessness.

To illustrate, another adult “supervisor” rolled over on his eyeglasses while asleep, breaking them in half. He’s a doctor and had replacements at home. However, if he were really poverty stricken or homeless, a simple snap of the spectacles would have been a life/survival changing event.

I am glad your 11 year old son participated, Danielle. The St. Peter’s group was fortunate to have him that night.

Return to “Lakewood Out & About”