Question for only Jim O'Bryan and or Dan Alaimo.

This is where we place discussions and conversations about the Lakewood Observer Observation Deck.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Patrick Wadden

Question for only Jim O'Bryan and or Dan Alaimo.

Postby Patrick Wadden » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:23 pm

Jim, Dan,

Are the "views" on the Deck a running tally of views every single time someone checks on that thread?

Example: I post a thread and hit submit. Then I check back on that thread an hour later and it has 50 views. Does that mean that 50 individual people looked at the deck? Or Does it mean that I checked on my thread 10 times and Lori Allan looked at it 10 times, Mike Deneen checked on it 10 times. Bridget checked on it 10 times and cmager looked at it 10 times?

Just a basic question. Pretty simple to answer. Maybe this has been asked before, forgive me.

No need to make this a "deck bashing" thread by some of the followers. Just want to understand how views are recorded.

Thanks,

Patrick Wadden

Jim O'Bryan

Re: Question for only Jim O'Bryan and or Dan Alaimo.

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:41 pm

Patrick Wadden wrote:Jim, Dan,

Are the "views" on the Deck a running tally of views every single time someone checks on that thread?

Example: I post a thread and hit submit. Then I check back on that thread an hour later and it has 50 views. Does that mean that 50 individual people looked at the deck? Or Does it mean that I checked on my thread 10 times and Lori Allan looked at it 10 times, Mike Deneen checked on it 10 times. Bridget checked on it 10 times and cmager looked at it 10 times?

Just a basic question. Pretty simple to answer. Maybe this has been asked before, forgive me.

No need to make this a "deck bashing" thread by some of the followers. Just want to understand how views are recorded.

Thanks,

Patrick Wadden

Patrick

Dan wouldn't know,

I'll ask one of the programmers, to be honest, we have never quoted numbers or views in any of our kits.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Patrick Wadden

Postby Patrick Wadden » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:51 pm

When logging on to the deck you see Who posted last , the date, time, and "views". Just want to know how the views are tallied. Thanks, Pat

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:56 pm

Patrick Wadden wrote:When logging on to the deck you see Who posted last , the date, time, and "views". Just want to know how the views are tallied. Thanks, Pat

No I got it.

Have you noticed when you look at them through various access points the numbers are different?

I'll let you know.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

cmager

Postby cmager » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:36 pm

Mr. Wadden, you asked this back in June??
m buckley wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Patrick Wadden wrote:Jim,
As a life long Lakewoodite who enjoys the back and forth of the deck, I would like to know how many people look at posts on the DECK.

Some of these posts seem to get thousands of views but I am courious if these are discrete views. My gut tells me that these are a total of views accumulated by the same person checking in on the deck to see if there was something new to look at. I do it every day.

Although I don't chose to comment on every post, I am wondering how the "views" are measured?

The "Wake up Lakewood" post has 848 views. Is that 848 made up of my 9 views when I was checking on the post to see who and what was said? Are these individual views or is that a total number by all people that check the Deck 6 times a day like me?

Patrick
We do not monitor views, looks or likes, we never have. WE have no interest in monetizing the website. The ads on the front are FREE to advertisers, and are rotated. Here on the Deck the only ads are the ones by businesses talking about themselves.

Deck views get spread many different ways.
1) The Deck, most posts are just this, a post. (anyone registered can do this)
2) Posts that get interest and are shared or retweeted from the post. (anyone can do this_
3) Posts that are moved over to various places, Facebook, Twitter, etc. (5 people can do that to the Observer FB Page, two to Twitter)
4) Posts that get national attention. (Crimes, national names, etc)
5) Crime or photos
6) The most number of views in any day was posting about a kidnapping with a plea from the mother. It was picked up by Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore and retweeted.

No figuring it out, it just is.
Patrick Wadden wrote:Thanks Jim. That's what I was looking for.

Mr. Wadden you seem to be stuck on this one.

Patrick Wadden

Postby Patrick Wadden » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:52 pm

Read Jim's reply. It didn't answer that specific question.

So I just want to know how views are tallied. That's all. You must know. It's your forum. Don't get Defensive. I asked a simple housekeeping question. How are views tallied. ?

cmager

Postby cmager » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:01 am

Patrick Wadden wrote:Read Jim's reply. It didn't answer that specific question. So I just want to know how views are tallied. That's all. You must know. It's your forum. Don't get Defensive. I asked a simple housekeeping question. How are views tallied. ?

It's not my forum, nor am defensive. Although someone is.

My suggestion...look at the views counter, then click on the post, then return to the list of posts by clicking on the Lakewood General Discussions link, and look at the views counter again. Repeat a couple of times. When YOU do this, you will find the views increment each time.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:27 am

cmager wrote:
Patrick Wadden wrote:Read Jim's reply. It didn't answer that specific question. So I just want to know how views are tallied. That's all. You must know. It's your forum. Don't get Defensive. I asked a simple housekeeping question. How are views tallied. ?

My suggestion...look at the views counter, then click on the post, then return to the list of posts by clicking on the Lakewood General Discussions link, and look at the views counter again. Repeat a couple of times. When YOU do this, you will find the views increment each time.

Sorry just getting to this and I see Jim responded. The above is what I would have suggested, although it's not the whole picture (see Jim's answer). To get back to Jim's point: aside from it being a point of interest, why does it matter? It amazes me that a topic I started over two years ago about Kauffman hoops now has over 30,000 views. That's interesting, but what does it mean besides a lot of people are interested in basketball?

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:05 am

Dan Alaimo wrote:
cmager wrote:

Sorry just getting to this and I see Jim responded. The above is what I would have suggested, although it's not the whole picture (see Jim's answer). To get back to Jim's point: aside from it being a point of interest, why does it matter? It amazes me that a topic I started over two years ago about Kauffman hoops now has over 30,000 views. That's interesting, but what does it mean besides a lot of people are interested in basketball?

Dan

We know it tracks members clicks, even when not signed in, but it does not seem to register clicks from non-registered users. And when coming in from outside the system, it seems hit and hiss. Still, I have to talk with the programmers about some new stuff after the election, might as well find out.

Our post of Merry Arts got 40,000 views on FB, it shows 11,000 click troughs, Deck shows a couple thousand.

For 8 years every election cycle or polarizing event, people bring up "only 8, 6, 5, 10 users" or click numbers, hit the streets how do the words permeate the city? Many make fun that it is a media project. Cleveland.com wishes it had the number of the print edition, or the gravity, but it does not.

Patrick, here is something fun to do at parties, With people you are standing with, say, "I cannot believe the Deck and Observer is still around." It will be followed with agreement, then usually people saying, "I never go there..." then proceed to quote post after post, person after person. I find it a hilarious Observation.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Return to “Discussions About The Deck”