State of Ohio COVID-19 Update 04.20.2020

This will be the archive for the daily COVID-19 Updates and eventually all COVID-19 posts.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

State of Ohio COVID-19 Update 04.20.2020

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:55 pm

State of Ohio
12,516 -
Confirmed Cases
403 - CDC Expanded Case Definition (Probable)
12,919 - Total Cases Up 1,317 cases another 1 day record.

2,653 - Number of Hospitalizations in Ohio
798 - Number of ICU Admissions

491 - Confirmed Deaths
18 - CDC Expanded Death Definition (Probable)
509 - Total Deaths

United States
771,197 -
Total Cases ↑ 12,111 (1.6%)
7,797 - Number of ICU Admissions
41,356 - Total Deaths ↑ 781 (1.92%)
71,489 - Recovered
658,352 - Active Cases

Governor Mike DeWine
Schools -
For the remainder of this school year, children will continue to go to school remotely. There has been no decision about this fall. We are not in a position to make a decision on that. Schools are looking for ways to start up in the fall with proper social distancing in classrooms, etc. There might be the possibility of a blended system. It is only a possibility and each district will be different.

Minorities
According to the incomplete information, it is apparent that Ohio's African-American community is being heavily in not unfairly single out.

Testing
We had told people not to use private testing facilities, because of a backlog. That black log has been take care of and please re-use private labs.

Reporting of Information and Data
When I took office I wanted to make more information available to the public. We started on the path to more information over a year ago, and we still have some ways to go. However we also have to respect patient's rights. The data we are assembly in the most up-to-date data and updated daily. (These are the numbers the LO uses above) We encourage people to go to http://coronavirus.ohio.gov and analyze the data yourself. This is more information than we have ever put out before.

There was incorrect data on long term facilities. That was taken down and will be replaced with the correct data, and that will be undated every week. They will report deaths by the county. Not individual homes.

Hospitals
You will be able to see by hospital the number of their healthcare staff has come down with COVID-19. This should be up and available by next week.

Dr. Amy Acton

Data has to be taken in context. Within 24 hours family should be notified of a death within 24 hours.

We are still resting at the same levels. “We still have very little testing. The more we test the more we should expect.”

When looking at prisons in Ohio they found a big percentage of the population that were asytematic as many as 70%. With younger people it damages other parts of the body. Not just the lungs.

What we be seeing in the futures is bumps and outbreaks. What will be our ability to put out those hotspots? We are looking to build an entire army for contact tracing.

When you remove social distancing and it takes three weeks to see if there is an increase. In 1918 St. Louis pulled back, and then relaxed social distancing and saw another massive spike a month later. We do not want that.

When we learn to accept the new normal. Once we deal with the knowledge that there is no quick fix. That is when we get innovated. That is when we get better. A journey together.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
pj bennett

Re: State of Ohio COVID-19 Update 04.20.2020

Postby pj bennett » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:50 pm

[url][/url]https://bgr.com/2020/04/20/coronavirus-florida-jacksonville-beaches/[url][/url]

While the number of cases continue to rise, Jacksonville, Florida reopens some beaches. Idiots.
(Click on link above to see the throngs.)

This morning, a doctor from Seattle said that evidence of covid19 is being found on nose swabs of asymptomatic people even at the 21 day mark. He questions whether the quarantine of 14 days is enough.... perhaps, the quarantine period should be extended.

We must remain in lockdown, until the number of cases begin to decline and CONTINUE to decline. Problem is, we're not really in lockdown. If we were, people would be going out for essentials only.

Instead, I hear that parks are packed, and I keep seeing gatherings at people's homes. Where has each of these people been? None of those people can know FOR SURE, that they are not a carrier.

I realize, that I'm ranting and no doubt singing to the choir, rather than being heard by those who have yet to wake up to the fact that we're in a serious situation. For that, I apologize.

ryan costa

Re: State of Ohio COVID-19 Update 04.20.2020

Postby ryan costa » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:04 pm

pj bennett wrote:[url][/url]https://bgr.com/2020/04/20/coronavirus-florida-jacksonville-beaches/[url][/url]

While the number of cases continue to rise, Jacksonville, Florida reopens some beaches. Idiots.
(Click on link above to see the throngs.)

Instead, I hear that parks are packed, and I keep seeing gatherings at people's homes. Where has each of these people been? None of those people can know FOR SURE, that they are not a carrier.

The shut down has got some folks' Ire up.

some people can handle it better than others

These Bros know how to Chill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiPyHM_SLwM&

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey

Return to “COVID-19 Archives”