Book Store?

Businesses and consumers are encouraged to post and update information about any local business.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

Tim Liston

Re: Book Store?

Postby Tim Liston » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:28 pm

Don't tell the name. Not here, not now. If it is available as a web domain name, register it first. If it is unavailable, append it, e.g. "thenamebooks.com" or something like that. It costs very little to do, holler if you need help.

Rhonda loje

Postby Rhonda loje » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:32 pm

Tim is right!
That is the first thing to do even if it just an idea.
That idea is only yours!
Get that domain name first.

"Dont it always seem to go
That you dont know what youve got
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot"
Joni Mitchell
Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:40 pm

So what do dogs laying on quilts drinking coffee know from domains? It's all Dalmatians to them!

Christopher Bindel

Postby Christopher Bindel » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:04 pm

Wow, I have been too busy to catch up on the deck in a wile, and it seems like I have missed a lot. This is a great discussion and I am glad to hear it again. I have discussed the idea of a book store in Lakewood with several people in the past and have brought up the same point several of you already have here. A book store can't work in Lakewood with out something else to help subsidies it. It would have to either have another aspect of the business or a big box store to support it.

I am really glad to hear all the good ideas people have come up with here, especially the house idea, that is new, creative and could possibly work. Although I think Ivor hit it on the nose early on when he mentioned the Root. I think if the Root would connect to one of the other storefronts in that block and make it a used book store, with separate seating, it could quite possibly work. That way the Root can keep its working/performance aspect to it, were the book store could offer the store as well as a studying and reading area that would be quiet compared to Root. Whenever I have thought of a potentially working book store in Lakewood this is how I have envisioned it. Combined with Root and that part of town I think it could be successful, and might be the only way it really could work.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:29 pm

Had a couple conversations this morning. Most of them very positive. It seems that many
progressives in this community are interested in getting this going, and there seems to
be a willingness from many "players" to make this happen.

We shall see, if we want it, or covet it.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Betsy Voinovich

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:20 pm

One of the ideas that has been kicked around since my son was in Kindergarten was an after school "Lego Cafe" where we could take our kids after school to wind down, maybe do a little homework, maybe play with Legos that were KEPT THERE. So there would be milk and healthy cookies and fruit for sale and some space for kids to be by themselves for quiet work and play.

Okay maybe this is starting to sound a little ambitious but there were many moms who were willing to volunteer after school to make it run-- like each of us would take one day, to keep an eye on the Lego/homework room. It would also be a great place for meetings we have to have, and we'd be able to have our kids near. There was a great cafe in Laramie that had an entire kids' cafe in one side, and an adults cafe in the other, and they had monitor who stayed with the kids.

I realize there are still no books in this picture.

Macs Backs has shelves everywhere, up and down, of used books, which are very affordable. I think they would be able to provide information about how something like this could be gotten started, and how they keep it sustainable. I think they use a couple formulas. I don't know who the people are who are thinking about this, but I know Macs Backs would be an excellent resource.

And how about a Kindle you could use by the hour. You sit in the Kindle chair, you download your books and read them and pay by the hour. Or maybe there's a row of chairs like that, like hairdryers only they're Kindles.

There are all kinds of ways to make this work.

Betsy

Rhonda loje

Postby Rhonda loje » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:02 pm

Can dogs play with the Legos too? Or may a Deck for Dogs?

"Dont it always seem to go
That you dont know what youve got
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot"
Joni Mitchell
Meg Ostrowski

Postby Meg Ostrowski » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:30 am

We already have so much of this good stuff in Lakewood. What always seems to be missing is a coordinated effort.

I bet The Friends of Lakewood Public Library have inventory. Maybe they could play a role and have an ongoing book sale/fundraiser. LPL has also started a reading program for children that involves therapy dogs, Tail Waggin' Tutors. The citizens group, Leashed Dogs in Lakewood Parks has begun the work of allowing four legged friends to enjoy previously forbidden locations. The Lakewood Family Room brings parents together while kids create and play, they could add some Legos. The Youth Services Librarians are already running after school programs. No lack of great coffee in town, perhaps an existing business could cater a small stand. Kristine, an international/independent newsstand is desperately needed. I think too much of our information is spoonfed. Discussion groups and lectures would certainly add to the richness of a place like this.

Sounds more like everyone is looking to have these things in one place...like a Community Center that reflects what we value and serves diverse interests...and most importantly brings us together.

“There could be anywhere from 1 to over 50,000 Lakewoods at any time. I’m good with any of those numbers, as long as it’s just not 2 Lakewoods.” -Stephen Davis
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:28 pm

Meg

What makes you think someone is not coordinating all of the things you are talking about
and beyond?

Just because the "civic groups" that are supposed to be doing this have not a clue how to,
does not mean that there are not other groups that no how to. It is just those groups prefer
to do things instead of getting awards by taking credit for what others do.

I am telling you, if this gets pulled off it is another beautiful organic effort that respects
all of the players here, gives them a chance to buy in, and make the city better for all.

Wait till you see what the VAL has going for economic development and the housing in
Lakewood. Beautiful mind-bending approaches that will put Lakewood on the map for
innovation. While some are looking outside the city to come give us ideas, again others in
the city are just doing it.

I might add without big paychecks, because they care and they are passionate enough
about the city, and see their responsibility is not to take the wealth but share the wealth.

FWIW

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Meg Ostrowski

Postby Meg Ostrowski » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:50 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:What makes you think someone is not coordinating all of the things you are talking about
and beyond?

I certainly don't know what everyone is up to and I don't doubt that there are many committed groups and individuals working towards making Lakewood better but some things, like a community center, would require the leadership of the city, school board/rec dept, library and civic groups working together to transform beautiful organic, mind-bending efforts and approaches into reality. Big projects take big money and they hold the purse strings.

Apparently I got carried away...again.

“There could be anywhere from 1 to over 50,000 Lakewoods at any time. I’m good with any of those numbers, as long as it’s just not 2 Lakewoods.” -Stephen Davis
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:07 pm

Meg Ostrowski wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:I certainly don't know what everyone is up to and I don't doubt that there are many committed groups and individuals working towards making Lakewood better but some things, like a community center, would require the leadership of the city, school board/rec dept, library and civic groups working together to transform beautiful organic, mind-bending efforts and approaches into reality. Big projects take big money and they hold the purse strings.

Apparently I got carried away...again.

Meg

Perhaps I got carried away. Conversation, discussion is good. It is all good and you are
certainly a visionary in this city with the Kaufman Park and other ideas. It is a pleasure
meeting you knowing you and being your friend.

But as you are well aware, my level of frustration is very high. When residents come up
with good ideas, like Kaufman Park, and the bookstore, they should be seized and run
with. At least someone has to try to understand the metrics and the dynamics, not just
for this project, but for the landscape of the city.

This idea was shelved originally because someone opened a bookstore. There
is no need to compete with a Lakewood Business. To me this is common sense. Easy
example would be two if not three food places going under because their margins are too
slim. I mean Lakewood could use so much, why cause the problems. Any Economic Group
should understand that common principle. What adds, not what subtracts, not what
competes with.

As some of your great ideas intersected with what is going on, just wanted to mention
some of these things have been looked into. Like when Coffee was mentioned, it only
made sense to talk with the coffee companies here owned by Lakewoodites to see if they
had any interest in being part of this project.

Sorry for my haste, as I said all ideas are good.

Continue to dream.

please

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Betsy Voinovich

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:08 pm

Meg and Jim,

I don't understand what either of you are saying. It sounds like Meg was saying let's look around to see how much of this stuff is already up and running-- not re-invent the wheel necessarily-- or let's make sure to utilize people who have invented those wheels to help roll them into new territory.

Like yes the Family Room could add Legos, but if parents want to come together in a setting that isn't all about child-rearing, but more of a Community Center for different interests, including children, the Family Center could be very helpful sharing the wisdom they have for toy-collection and use, with a new facility. The Family Center has a toy-lending library, and some very good policies for how toys get taken out, played with and put away, that teaches responsibility and respect for others in very young people. They also know how to serve snacks to lots of kids without the roof caving in. They would certainly be people to be brought in on a discussion of a Bookstore/Community Center/Coffee house House.

Yes we do already have great coffee houses and people who know how to run them here. They would be perfect to enter into the discussion of how coffee and snacks could be provided for this new place. Perhaps one of them would be a partner on it --right there, that part of the equation is already more than half-solved. Your mention of a coffee stand (or two on different floors) makes perfect sense.

The library does run great after school homework programs. If moms and dads want a place where their kids could have after school snacks, AND do homework in a different, less formal setting, that allows them to have their whole family together, some playing with Legos or coloring with watercolors, others doing homework; the library could weigh in with some very good ideas on how to keep all of that sane and workable, especially with a couple of mom-volunteers thrown in.

If dog owners in Lakewood are already at work convincing their neighbors that dogs have a place in more communal environments with humans, the leaders of that group could help the community center figure out some ground rules in terms of dog behavior on a patio. Do they serve doggie snacks too? Is there a dog-toy library? Is there provision made so someone could hop up from their table, leaving their books and coffee there, and take their dog for a stroll down the street-- presumably if this is a Lakewood house it will be on a Lakewood street-- even if it's on Detroit or Madison, a side street will not be far away.

These all sound like people who should be on a board. In terms of inventory for a bookstore, especially a used bookstore, talking to the Friends of the Library is a great idea, they should be on the board too, along with some folks across town who have run Macs Back Coventry books for more than three decades successfully and obviously take a lot of pleasure in bringing people together over books and food and discussion.

And then there are the people who always cherished the idea of a bookstore who have already shown up on this thread. They sound like they would take the time and energy to be in coordinating positions to help all of this stuff come together, using this board itself and the Lakewood Observer, in which an article could be placed about a potential great new idea for a communal bookstore and readers could be asked to weigh in, volunteer or help with fundraising. I think the paper has a history of this (before my time) with groups like LEAF.

And Jim, I don't understand what you were saying. Were you implying that Meg thought that already established civic groups should be doing this, but aren't? It didn't sound like Meg was being critical of the process already in motion. It sounded like she was trying to stand back and take a look at what was happening already and help direct energy and time. She is an amazing big picture person who also gets and enjoys working on the details.

This Bookstore idea isn't stepping on anybody's notion of which groups get to be the big players in Lakewood's Monopoly board game. We have a lot of great locations-- a lot of great houses that could work-- and as Meg pointed out, every single resource that we need, along with a vehicle for pulling it all together.

I was thinking, while we're at it, we should really include Malleys in this discussion...

Betsy

Mark Mraz

Postby Mark Mraz » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:33 pm

If someone is serious about starting something like this I would be interested in the plans...so keep me in mind.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Betsy Voinovich wrote:
I was thinking, while we're at it, we should really include Malleys in this discussion...

Betsy

Betsy

What I was saying is exactly what you put so well.

This entire effort is by people that want to see this happen. Not want to control it necessarily.

This effort is just like all of the programs out of the VAL, even the Observer. Who will step
up grab the reins, and put in, like Habitat for Humanity.

It is not about ownership, it is about creating something to fill a need and getting the
right people to take ownership of it.

Thanks for the note.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Return to “Lakewood Businesses”