Helmets for scooters?

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

pj bennett

Re: Helmets for scooters?

Postby pj bennett » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:25 pm

I have witnessed two separate accidents involving children on bicycles.

In the first accident, a woman was at a complete stop, waiting for the light to turn green. When it changed, she began to pull forward. As she did, a boy riding his bike on the sidewalk, failed to stop and simply plowed right into her passenger door. The bike caused some damage to her car. Police was called. While several people fussed over the child, who was unharmed, the woman driver, who was clearly shaken up, asked, “What about my car?” It was badly scratched and dented. I have no idea how that played out.

In another incident, 2 cars were at a complete stop at a light on Clifton. The car on the inside lane, was staggered further back than the car it was next too. The light turned green, and the car in the inside lane, began to accelerate. Meanwhile, a girl on a bike, decided to race across Clifton, against the Red Hand.

The driver could not see her, as his view was blocked by the SUV on his left. So….the timing was such, that as she pedaled across several lanes of traffic (against the Red Hand), he pulled forward, and collided into her just as she reached the front of his car. The thud of her body getting hit and thrown was quite loud, but fortunately, she was only stunned with no significant injuries. Meanwhile, the driver was beside himself from the experience and clearly upset.

And then, I witnessed two adult cyclists, who had a close call at an intersection. It was one of those rare times, when no cars were in sight; only cyclists.

Cyclist #1 had the right of way (westbound) and was entering the intersection, while Cyclist #2 chose to ignore the stop light and sped across the street northbound. Cyclist #1 got so startled seeing that he was about to get rammed, that he swerved sharply and very nearly lost control. Meanwhile, Cyclist #2 went on his merry way.

Meanwhile, I see more children (on weekends and after school) biking without helmets, than I do with.

If that’s not being enforced, how would Helmets for Scooters be enforced?

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:42 am

So now, let's imagine what happens in these kinds of accidents when greater motive force is involved due to powered devices.

This all got much more interesting for me last night when I witnessed the future on Kenneth Drive.

michael gill

Postby michael gill » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:58 am

I think the real danger is the mega mobility products that have proliferated for decades.

Those mega mobility products weigh thousands of pounds, and are clad in steel, and they are easily capable of speeds their operators cannot control.

Wasn't there something about a football player in the past day or two?

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:38 am

michael gill wrote:I think the real danger is the mega mobility products that have proliferated for decades.

Those mega mobility products weigh thousands of pounds, and are clad in steel, and they are easily capable of speeds their operators cannot control.

Wasn't there something about a football player in the past day or two?

It is just impossibly weird to see individuals wearing "space suits" and riding on what appear to be a single tire in my neighborhood. --A novelty or the future?

michael gill

Postby michael gill » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:52 pm

Space suits on unicycles does sound weird.

Maybe they were shooting a movie.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:25 am

Maybe they were just being safe and enjoying our streets with their wheels. No harm in that.

I saw what I saw. I did not see anything at all that would imply a film crew.

Each of the four riders was equipped with safety attire.

Ah! Youth!

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”