Local Firefighters Make History For Cleveland Firefighter Johnny Tetrick

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Local Firefighters Make History For Cleveland Firefighter Johnny Tetrick

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:08 am

Last Saturday, 11.19.2022, 51-year-old Cleveland Firefighter Johnny Tetrick was answering a call for a car accident. Unfortunately it would be his last. He was struck and killed by a hit-and-run motorist Leander Bissell, 40, of Cleveland.

This Saturday the the entire county is expected to turn out at his funeral, to be held at Quicken Loans Arena, and then through the streets of Cleveland. So that his fellow Cleveland firefighters could attend the service, more than 160 suburban firefighters have volunteered their time and services to cover the shifts so they could all attend. This is the first time, this has ever happened.

Here in Lakewood, Fire Chief Tim Dunphy headed up the west side suburban fire departments. "I know that all Fire fighters feel the pain, but for the Cleveland family of firefighters it has to be intense. When I heard of the plan I knew the guys and gals would step up." The plan was for each city to donate one truck and crew to work a station. While not perfect, it will do the job.

Here are some photos from everyone gathering at Lakewood Fire Station #1 to get orders, and head out.

At 8:30am all was quiet.

15 minutes later, all the west side departments that could fit, parked for the meeting.

Fire Chief Tim Dunphy started the meeting.

Asst Fire Chief Nicholas Sambula took over for final questions.

As soon as it started, the various departments were off to their assignments.

So very proud of all of the firefighter that gave their time for this.

Let's hope it is never needed again. If you are coming into an accident scene, SLOW DOWN.

UPDATED --- UPDATED --- UPDATED --- UPDATED --- UPDATED

Lakewood's firefighters sitting in at Cleveland Station 33, on West 117, near Halloran Park.

Meanwhile downtown at the Q, things were underway.

51-year-old Johnny Tetrick, rest in peace.

Fire trucks from all over surrounded the block.

To see all the photos head to:
http://lakewoodobserver.com/photoblogs/jim-obryan/firefighters-make-history-for-johnny-tetrick

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”