The Road Less Traveled - 2021

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Re: The Road Less Traveled - 2021

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:09 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:Folks, this was at 6pm yesterday and it was insanely loud!

I will be clear that this nuisance is from private property, but I see no barrier to prevent this corporation from receiving a conditional use permit from the City to expand alcoholic beverage service onto neighboring public sidewalks.

In fact, as far as I can tell this has all been incentivized by the City and its planning functions.

The problem was the last administration that would do anything for political supporters and friends. Close basketball courts in public park because of a cranky old friend. Mo problem. Build complete outrages in outdoor drinking right next to a little league field and in a quiet neighborhood. No problem! Anything for a donation to a campaign.

Lakewood has been run by dirty or ignorant politicians until this mayor. Getting old.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:20 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:Folks, this was at 6pm yesterday and it was insanely loud!

I will be clear that this nuisance is from private property, but I see no obstacles to prevent this corporation from receiving a conditional use permit from the City to expand alcoholic beverage service onto neighboring public sidewalks.

In fact, as far as I can tell this has all been incentivized by the City and its planning functions.

How much outdoor or sidewalk drinking should the City be promoting and actually establishing on our public property?

It's all in Ward 2 and Ward 1 along Detroit and Madison.

Temporary metal barriers at "The Avenue". Black aluminum fencing at Mars Bar and Barrio.

None of it safe from traffic impacts.

I'm not going to bother to even frame an argument. Please drive, bike, or walk by any of these bars. See for yourself.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:03 pm

This Table Illustrates What All Of Us Know

Lakewood Has Maxed-Out On Bars

Lakewood Liquor Permits - NOTE Excess In Class D Bar Permits.jpg
Lakewood Liquor Permits - NOTE Excess In Class D Bar Permits.jpg (233.43 KiB) Viewed 9665 times

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:39 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:
Robert Frost Quote - The Road Less Traveled By.png

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:44 am

The Relevant CDC Guidelines

Here is a reference source to consider as we think about whether alcoholic-beverage service should be expanded in Lakewood in 2021 and 2022.

Please take a look.

CDC-Guide-for-Measuring-Alcohol-Outlet-Density.pdf
(13.22 MiB) Downloaded 385 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:05 am

You Might Want To Try This Search On Google

Benefits of Increased Alcohol Outlets

When I did this search I could not identify any benefits; to the contrary, increases in alcohol outlets and alcohol consumption have strong and quantifiable negatives in study-after-study.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:36 am

This Is A Fundamental Quality Of Life Issue For Residents

I have highlighted the portions of this page from the Centers For Disease Control that are consistent with what I have written here since April.

I do not see any valid role for the City of Lakewood to expand or promote the sale and use of alcoholic-beverages with its public employees, its public administrative bodies, its public funds, or any of its public assets.

Highlighted Excerpt from CDC-Guide-for-Measuring-Alcohol-Outlet-Density.jpg
Highlighted Excerpt from CDC-Guide-for-Measuring-Alcohol-Outlet-Density.jpg (355.84 KiB) Viewed 9513 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:42 am

Lakewood Has 26 Alcohol Outlets Per Square Mile

This table is based on the actual Ohio Department of Commerce data for issued Ohio liquor permits for Lakewood, Ohio.

There remain 25 Class D permits for private clubs that have not been issued. Errors, if any, are my own.

Estimated Alcohol Outlet Density - Lakewood.jpg
Estimated Alcohol Outlet Density - Lakewood.jpg (236.8 KiB) Viewed 9482 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:45 am

Increasing Alcohol Outlet Density In Lakewood -- A Poor Public Policy Choice

I will note that Lakewood also has one distillery and three breweries. I do not have a tabulation on the number of bars and restaurants that serve alcoholic beverages under the new conditional use permits. I believe that that number is significant.

Even without conditional use permits, many permit holders are already next door from one another thus increasing alcohol outlet density.

Quotations on Alcohol Outlet Density.jpg
Quotations on Alcohol Outlet Density.jpg (145.47 KiB) Viewed 9455 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:12 am

My observations for August 2021 on Alcohol Expansion

1. More bars have opened since my last post in July.

2. Last week I watched pedestrians trip over a drunkard on one of our sidewalks.

3. He spurned citizen assistance and was rather belligerent.

4. This fellow was so intoxicated that the RTA driver would not let him on the bus.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:29 am

On Just A Single Block -- Alcohol Expansion

Detroit between Lakeland and Summit:

Merry Arts

Nature's Oasis

Bar Italia

Bar Italia on a public street

I've singled this block out for several reasons. It is unique as it exemplifies alcohol beverage density and expansion.

Why do we have a non-profit organization selling not just beer and wine but also carry-out cocktails as well?

We have three liquor permits on a single block and with the expansion of Bar Italia onto Detroit under a conditional use permit we have expanded the Bar Italia liquor permit at public expense and with a public asset.

Now, functionally, we have four (4) alcoholic beverage permits on a single block; three (3) from the State, and one (1) from the City.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:28 am

A Noise Nuisance Even When Closed

With my own ears, I heard this morning what the residents residing near the Detroit and Edwards intersection must hear regularly.

By 10am, the loud speakers are already cranked-up to the max as the LTP employees prepare to open. This is a public nuisance even when closed.

If you reside near Detroit and Edwards...you are in for a three-day party weekend.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:25 am

My Next Argument Opposing Expanded Alcoholic Beverage Service To Our Sidewalks And Streets

"One picture is worth a thousand words."

Jim O'Bryan posted other photographs of this car crashing across a sidewalk into a bar/restaurant.

Lakewood Accident Photo Posted By J-O'B.jpg
Lakewood Accident Photo Posted By J-O'B.jpg (919.6 KiB) Viewed 8339 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:42 am

This accident occurred during the lunch hour.

I witnessed the overhead wires whipping around -- we can recognize that the sidewalks and street were vulnerable to a major electrocution risk also.

This is a real world actual event in a City where conditional use permits have now been issued by the Planning Commission and promoted by the City itself for expanded outdoor dining and alcohol service on sidewalks and streets.

We are kidding ourselves that this isn't a risk to residents, employees, and visitors to Lakewood.

What happens when the vehicle hits the new barriers at Detroit and Summit and flips onto the patrons or knocks a power pole into the umbrellas?

The accident in the photo occurred only a few short blocks East of Detroit and Summit.

Please talk to your friends and neighbors about this.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”