The Road Less Traveled - 2021

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Mark Kindt

Re: The Road Less Traveled - 2021

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:11 pm

Please Note

"Studies have shown that neighborhoods with a high density of alcohol outlets are associated with higher rates of violence, regardless of other community characteristics such as poverty and age of residents. High alcohol outlet density has been shown to be related to increased rates of drinking and driving, motor vehicle-related pedestrian injuries, and child abuse and neglect. In addition, liquor stores frequently sell food and other goods that are unhealthy and expensive. Setting rules that mandate minimum distances between alcohol outlets, limiting the number of new licenses in areas that already have a high number of outlets, and closing down outlets that repeatedly violate liquor laws can all help control and reduce liquor store density."

This is from the Healthy Northeast Ohio website.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:52 am

Here Is The Liquor Store Density Data For Cuyahoga County

Let's return to the data reported at Healthy Northeast Ohio:

http://www.healthyneo.org/indicators/in ... aleId=2112

It seems clear to me that this data is erroneous and is primarily reporting State of Ohio Liquor Store Licenses, not actual alcoholic beverage carry-out permit-holder locations, though is implies that that is what it is quantifying.

It suggests that there are only 80 stores that are alcoholic beverage outlets in a County of 1,220,000 residents.

If that were truly the case, then Lakewood with about 136 Class C and Class D Permits with carry-out sales should have about 2,000,000 residents.

Clearly there is something wonky about the data reported by Healthy Northeast Ohio.

Anyway, that is my attempt to clear-up this confusion that I stumbled into this past Friday when I attempted to review alcoholic beverage permit density data.

ryan costa

Postby ryan costa » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:19 am

Mark Kindt wrote:Here Is The Liquor Store Density Data For Cuyahoga County

Let's return to the data reported at Healthy Northeast Ohio:

http://www.healthyneo.org/indicators/in ... aleId=2112

It seems clear to me that this data is erroneous and is primarily reporting State of Ohio Liquor Store Licenses, not actual alcoholic beverage carry-out permit-holder locations, though is implies that that is what it is quantifying.

It suggests that there are only 80 stores that are alcoholic beverage outlets in a County of 1,220,000 residents.

If that were truly the case, then Lakewood with about 136 Class C and Class D Permits with carry-out sales should have about 2,000,000 residents.

Clearly there is something wonky about the data reported by Healthy Northeast Ohio.

Anyway, that is my attempt to clear-up this confusion that I stumbled into this past Friday when I attempted to review alcoholic beverage permit density data.

the regular stores cannot sell alcohol over 42 Proof.

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:01 am

Mr. Costa makes a very good point that explains why the Healthy Northeast Ohio data that I have linked-to is so wonky.
Last edited by Mark Kindt on Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:06 am

The Bar Density on Madison Is Heavy Too

Driving East to West it is practically wall-to-wall:

Mars Bar

Beer Engine

Barrio

Two Bucks

Patio

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:56 am

Mark My Words

Tens of thousands of dollars of city funds were spent to promote the feel-good illusion that somehow Lakewood was or would become "the healthiest city in America".

We all got that crap in our mailboxes directly from the City. --Three different public relations firms (perhaps more) paraded that "civic vision" to us.

Now.

At the end of the day, we are going to have expanded alcoholic beverage sales on our public property -- sidewalks, streets, and municipal parking lots.

That's what the planning department and planning commission have in store for us and have been and will continue to implement through conditional-use permits to restaurants/bars.

Regardless of whether or not this is a wise policy outcome, it has already been delivered.

Achieving this public policy objective with any degree of safety will require millions of dollars in safety engineering and street redesign.

This is not temporary. It will become a permanent feature of Lakewood.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:25 am

Keeping This Short

I am not going to rehash arguments that I have previously made, supported with documentation and/or communicated to elected officials in 2020 or earlier.

The planning department and the planning commission always KNEW that:

1. A public baseball field for youth baseball was at the corner of Detroit & Edwards;

2. A tavern existed on the South corner already;

3. Citizens had organized and were complaining about the proposal for the outdoor bar;

4. The outdoor bar had a high potential of becoming a public nuisance.

Guess what? It was delivered to us anyway.

That's how the "civic vision" works.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue May 25, 2021 10:55 am

Cocktails On The Corner Of Every Street Soon

This morning a segment of Detroit Avenue between Lakeland and Summit (Southside) was converted into an outdoor dining space for Bar Italia.

The installation began this morning and is close to completion. They could be serving cocktails on the street by 1pm this afternoon.

It's all done under one of the City's continuing use permits.

Please drive by and take a gander.

In other news this morning, another plate glass window of the Steve Barry showroom was vandalized.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue May 25, 2021 11:23 am

Now I think I understand the real reason that all of the golden locust trees were cut-down on that segment of Detroit.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue May 25, 2021 11:51 am

Mark Kindt wrote:Cocktails On The Corner Of Every Street Soon

This morning a segment of Detroit Avenue between Lakeland and Summit (Southside) was converted into an outdoor dining space for Bar Italia.

The installation began this morning and is close to completion. They could be serving cocktails on the street by 1pm this afternoon.

It's all done under one of the City's continuing use permits.

Please drive by and take a gander.

In other news this morning, another plate glass window of the Steve Barry showroom was vandalized.

Please note this correction -- "conditional use permits"

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue May 25, 2021 1:19 pm

Perverse Incentives Have Unpredictable Outcomes

We will learn more about this new streetscape as it goes along, but please drive, bike, or walk by it and take a look for yourself. Trust your own judgment. Not mine.

If you incentivize businesses holding Ohio liquor licenses with significant, valuable, and unusual public subsidies as Lakewood has been done recently, the knock-on effects are likely to be unpredictable and mostly adverse.

Each Ohio liquor license then becomes more valuable to the business that owns it and there will occur at public design and public expense the further expansion of these businesses into Lakewood commercial real estate driving other small businesses out who have lost access to on-street parking and even access to the sidewalks that previously served their trade.

Now that Ohio liquor licenses have become augmented with access to public rights-of-way here, Lakewood will eventually have no basis to regulate it own streets.

I'm sorry folks, but enough is enough.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed May 26, 2021 8:49 am

Mark Kindt wrote:Perverse Incentives Have Unpredictable Outcomes

We will learn more about this new streetscape as it goes along, but please drive, bike, or walk by it and take a look for yourself. Trust your own judgment. Not mine.

If you incentivize businesses holding Ohio liquor licenses with significant, valuable, and unusual public subsidies as Lakewood has been done recently, the knock-on effects are likely to be unpredictable and mostly adverse.

Each Ohio liquor license then becomes more valuable to the business that owns it and there will occur at public design and public expense the further expansion of these businesses into Lakewood commercial real estate driving other small businesses out who have lost access to on-street parking and even access to the sidewalks that previously served their trade.

Now that Ohio liquor licenses have become augmented with access to public rights-of-way here, Lakewood will eventually have no basis to regulate it own streets.

I'm sorry folks, but enough is enough.

Mark

I am working on a story on how a core group of Council people, along with couple others well placed have consistently moved commercial traffic and headaches deeper and deeper into our residential neighborhoods. This is not happen stance, this has been part of a large, non-public plan for the last two administrations. Basically anything for businesses, and their own neighborhoods, fuck the residents in the middle of the city. This group tried to gut the center of town of everything and anything that served the residents. They tried to close Grant school. A school that served more lower middle class and english second language students than any other. They have placed commercial entrances to drive thru deep into residential streets, something that was unheard of before the Summers/FitzGerlad regime.

This city and many on Council have become anti-resident. After all we do not underwrite their campaigns, we cannot help them up the ladder. Once every 4 years a Lakewood councilman will pretend to acre enough about Lakewood residents to get enough votes to continue their hard and planned out assaults on the center of Lakewood and the residents that live there. Check the names, the allegiances, the boards and the committee. We are still working on the Futrell Project from the 1990s that wanted to turn downtown Lakewood into a MALL, that's right with a ring road around it. A cutting edge idea borrowed from Severence Center before it went out of business!

Check the names here, then check the names with the "Stay in Bay" program. Some of the same doing the same to Bay. Read their BS, reads just like the "players" that destroyed the center of Lakewood. Check the names, you will recognize them from our past. On council, on non-profits, on planning commissions, on citizen groups. It is sick.

We are still being played by the very groups that ran this city nearly into bankruptcy.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed May 26, 2021 9:21 am

The City I See

I write about the City that I actually see. Yes, I walked by major shards of broken glass as I entered my office building yesterday. Yes, I saw the concrete traffic barriers being set down on Detroit as well as the contractors physically joining them with massive steel pins, and then anchoring the umbrella stands into the street. That was all done before noon.

With the best of intentions, the City expanded outdoor dining by ordinance onto city sidewalks last summer for legitimate public health reasons, the Covid-19 threat.

I must be strident about this.

Less than a year later we see that very same public health ordinance legally used by a well-financed restaurant corporation to expand its physical plant onto public rights- of-way enabling its bar to provide alcoholic beverage service literally on the street.

That's what I meant by "perverse incentives" in my earlier post.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 am

Last Night I Saw, Last Night I Heard

Last night, I was pleased to see parents and children at play on the ball field at Edwards Park.

Last night, I was appalled to hear the high-decibel broadcast sound system from the Lakewood outdoor booze-garden across from the ball field.

Are we really doing this to our City?

Why?

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:39 am

Folks, this was at 6pm yesterday and it was insanely loud!

I will be clear that this nuisance is from private property, but I see no barrier to prevent this corporation from receiving a conditional use permit from the City to expand alcoholic beverage service onto neighboring public sidewalks.

In fact, as far as I can tell this has all been incentivized by the City and its planning functions.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”