Selena Colon Pleads Guilty To Four Counts In Death of Max And Alejandro

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Selena Colon Pleads Guilty To Four Counts In Death of Max And Alejandro

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:52 am

Alejandro Mercado's parents address those at the unveiling of the Max Close/Alejandro Mercado Park in front of Lakewood High School.

Selena Colon charged in death of Max Close and Alejandro Mercado

In Judge Sutula’s Court today, Selena Colon age 23 plead guilty to four of the seven counts including:

Count 1 - Aggravated Vehicular Homicide a 2nd Degree Felony - Possible sentence 2-8 years, $15,000 Fine, and License Suspension 3-5 years.

Count 2 - Aggravated Vehicular Homicide a 2nd Degree Felony - Possible sentence 2-8 years, $15,000 Fine, and License Suspension 3-5 years.

Count 5 Aggravated Assault a 3rd Degree Felony - Possible sentence 12 - 60 months, $10,000 Fine, and License Suspension.

Count 7 - Driving while under the influence. 1st degree misdemeanor - Up to 180 days in county jail, or 3 day intervention program. Fines of $250, - $1,250 1-3 year list suspension

Judge Sutula explained that what he hands down are mandatory sentences, with no time off for good behavior, etc. and that the courts and the jails can extend the sentences if they feel it is warranted through a couple of new laws on the books, but these new laws are also headed to the Supreme Court.

This means Selena Colon, age 23 could receive up to 25 years in jail, no parole. And fines of over $50,000 plus restitution including civil lawsuits.

Max and Alejandro's parents were in the courts today.

Sentencing will follow interviews with all parties.

Stay tuned.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Stan Austin
Contributor

Re: Selena Colon Pleads Guilty To Four Counts In Death of Max And Alejandro

Postby Stan Austin » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:34 pm

I watched the live feed of this proceding this morning. The constant nagging question that has kept nagging at me since this incident is---How, Why could something like this happen?

ryan costa

Postby ryan costa » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:37 pm

I grew up with some pretty extreme acts of drunk driving. It is a small miracle no one was killed. Later, I went on to get hit by cars pulling out of parking lots three times. I am one hundred percent against intoxicated driving

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey
jkocinski

Postby jkocinski » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:17 pm

I was announced today that Selena Colon has received a sentence of 15 to 18 years in prison for this crime against the victims, their families, my family, and the good people of Lakewood.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”