Lakewood's Secretive Government Pops Up - A Reminder

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Lakewood's Secretive Government Pops Up - A Reminder

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:14 am

This is so telling. Here we have two of the architects of the secret dealings to close Lakewood Hospital and shift $70 million to friends and supporters to control. For his entire time on Lakewood Council Tom Bullock has forsaken his fiduciary oath to the residents of Lakewood, and instead cater to his supporters and bars.

Councilman Bullock started off his mediocre career by working hard to ban pitbulls, even though the law had already been overturned in other states by the Supreme Court. Didn't matter he charged ahead and campaigned on "those dogs." Years later he would campaign and take credit for getting rid of the pit bull law. After the city spent over $100,000 defending it. All a waste so he could grandstand on the way the wind was blowing.

Together with his mentor Mayor Summers, they did everything they could to hide the truth on the hospital debacle they created. Almost a half a million in fines and legal fees to fight Lakewood residents in court to keep all records secret. They lost every court fight. He went after residents, businesses and other elected officials, not to seek the truth, but to obscure the facts and out right lie to the electorate.

The City of Lakewood, and more importantly the residents of Lakewood cannot afford Councilman Bullock and his secretive cronies.

Just say no to Tom Bullock and anyone supported by those that supported lies and intimidation.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
pj bennett

Re: Lakewood's Secretive Government Pops Up - A Reminder

Postby pj bennett » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:26 pm

Where was this endorsement posted?

Recently, Saturday maybe, my husband answered the phone to a robocall. It was Mike Summers saying that he was endorsing someone.

But, the recording was really bad, and my husband hung up before hearing who was being endorsed.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:48 pm

candidate Bullock also posted on Facebook an endorsement from Republican Pam Smith. This along with former Republican Mike Summers. They were prime architects of the destruction of Lakewood Hospital. Don't be fooled by the cute family pictures on literature and the faux populist rhetoric.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:50 pm

We're moving but I'm still eligible to vote in Lakewood. I could pass this time but as a voter, I'm very informed about Lakewood issues, and this information includes that Tom Bullock must go. I'm not too keen on Tristan Rader either ever since he put his political future ahead of the good of the City a few years ago. Mike Summers may just as well have endorsed him.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:22 pm

Bullock spent much of the year masquerading as a "progressive".
Now that it's crunch time, he is reverting to his true nature.

It will be interesting to see if Lakewood is gullible enough to retain him.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:27 am

Dan Alaimo wrote:We're moving but I'm still eligible to vote in Lakewood. I could pass this time but as a voter, I'm very informed about Lakewood issues, and this information includes that Tom Bullock must go. I'm not too keen on Tristan Rader either ever since he put his political future ahead of the good of the City a few years ago. Mike Summers may just as well have endorsed him.

Dan

While Tristan might have stumbled a little in the early days, he has stood with Meghan, and Dan for open government. In the past two years no one has had to go to court to sue for public documents. This is a massive step forward comparing to where we were, with the city constantly in court wasting time and money.

A city can survive a lot, but only with open honest government.

Here is a great way to see who is be used to do what. Look at the donors. Some of the civic leaders are 100% transactional. On Council headed to council, no worry we can hook you up with a cushy county job. As happened to one of our ex-councilmen.

We should also remember that those that worked in secret to close a hospital have millions of our dollars to fund campaigns either publicly or secretly *their favorite way).

Lakewoodites were were sold out by a small group of Lakewoodites for their own good, not ours.

Educate yourself, vote smart, vote for honesty. Which would leave Tom Bullock, among a couple others out.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:44 am

If I was Tom Bullock, I'd be running away from that endorsement as fast as I could.

I will never cast a ballot for this man.

And, Mr. Summers bears a difficult legacy, sadly of his own creation.

As a third generation Democrat, I have a difficult time seeing either of these men as members of the party that shaped my identity.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:56 am

Mark Kindt wrote:If I was Tom Bullock, I'd be running away from that endorsement as fast as I could.

I will never cast a ballot for this man.

And, Mr. Summers bears a difficult legacy, sadly of his own creation.

As a third generation Democrat, I have a difficult time seeing either of these men as members of the party that shaped my identity.

Amen.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:49 am

"Turnover of Senior Leaders At City Hall"

This particular phrase really caught my attention.

For me this is like hearing that City Hall needs more demolition experts. Folks, I'm 69 years old soon.

We have owned our home here for 26 years. I have operated my business here for 21 years.

I've watched Lakewood being comprehensively wrecked and I am not sure the demolition plan has even been completed yet.

Yes, I am an old coot, but I know what I know.

You know it too.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:28 am

Mark Kindt wrote:"Turnover of Senior Leaders At City Hall"

This particular phrase really caught my attention.

For me this is like hearing that City Hall needs more demolition experts. Folks, I'm 69 years old soon.

We have owned our home here for 26 years. I have operated my business here for 21 years.

I've watched Lakewood being comprehensively wrecked and I am not sure the demolition plan has even been completed yet.

Yes, I am an old coot, but I know what I know.

You know it too.

Mark

You mentioned plan, that group is not big on plans as the can be obtained in public record requests.

So even though you have to fight them in court for years eventually the plan for the rec center was found, the documents were found.

Yeah, plans do not suit them well at all.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

cmager

Postby cmager » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:33 pm

I'd say hold a Caption Contest for that photo of Summers and Bullock, but who has the time or desire to wallow in such.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:49 am

It should be noted that he is Lakewood's most experience senior council member is because his 5+ campaigns for other offices all ended in failure.

It would seem people outside of Lakewood see "worthless as tits on a boar" easier than we do.

Time to help this senior member retire, we cannot afford the mistakes, misleading or BS any longer.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:23 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:It should be noted that he is Lakewood's most experience senior council member is because his 5+ campaigns for other offices all ended in failure.

It would seem people outside of Lakewood see political ego driven theater easier than we do.

Time to help this senior member retire, we cannot afford the mistakes, misleading or BS any longer.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”