I Want to Tell You a Little Story

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

pj bennett

I Want to Tell You a Little Story

Postby pj bennett » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:32 pm

What you are about to read had been approved for publication in today's issue of the Lakewood Observer.
But, somewhere between approval and actually getting printed - it got cut.
So, with Jim O'Bryan's permission, I am posting here.
(Thank you, Jim)

I want to tell you a little story about Laura Rodriguez-Carbone, who is running for Lakewood City Council-At-Large.

Recently, my phone rang just as I was putting the first bite of dinner in my mouth. It was Laura calling to introduce herself.

Well, I was cranky. I didn’t feel like talking to anyone. I explained to her, that I had to prepare special meals for my husband due to his recent diagnosis of kidney disease.

"Are you cooking the renal diet?" she asked. I was stunned that she was familiar. She had my attention.
She went on to say that she has worked with agencies in the renal field.

I still wanted to eat, but we talked a bit more, and I then promised to be in touch. I wanted to talk to this woman some more. She expressed her concern for me, and the stress that I must be experiencing.

Since then, we have texted a few times. Then several days ago, Amazon whomped a package on my porch. It contained two books on cooking the renal diet - gifted by Laura. Her empathy and thoughtfulness brought tears to my eyes. A few days later, I received information on kidney support groups from her in the mail.

(If you cook for someone who has Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD), then you are aware of the vast number of foods that must be avoided, the challenge of reading nutrition labels, the measuring and weighing of each ingredient in a recipe, and the monitoring of protein, sodium, potassium and phosphorus levels in every single meal. The only way to do that is to home cook every single meal.)

Bottom Line: Laura gets it. She understands the common person and their challenges. She connects. She’s been in the trenches and knows it’s not easy.

There’s no question, that I’m voting for her. Lakewood needs a real person with life experiences sitting on that city council dais.

I don’t care if a candidate went to Lakewood High School, or how many degrees they have, or how important a job they have. Nor, do I want to hear political speak.

What I do want, is someone who truly seeks to connect and serve the people of Lakewood.

Imagine…. having someone interested in you. Someone, who listens and does what they can to serve you.

This is why I’m voting for Laura Rodriguez-Carbone for Lakewood City Council-At-Large.
I hope you do, as well.

Jim O'Bryan

Re: I Want to Tell You a Little Story

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:34 am

pj bennett wrote:So, with Jim O'Bryan's permission, I am posting here.

PJ

You never needed my permission. You have been vetted so can post anytime.

The printed version of the paper has a finite amount of space. We have to make cuts all the time.

Cuts are usually based on time of the story. Then School, Library and City Hall have pages allotted to them.

From there it is what is fair.

We will hear from all the candidates that move on.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”