Mayor George Being Setup To Take The Fall?

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bill Call

Mayor George Being Setup To Take The Fall?

Postby Bill Call » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:13 am

I heard a few people tell me that the lack of development at the Lakewood Hospital site is the fault of Mayor George. Since these people where Summer supporters I didn't think much about it.

I wonder, is this part of a larger whisper campaign?

Should the Mayor get ahead of this issue?

If so a good start would be a full accounting of the distribution of the Hospitals assets.

What ever happened to Build Lakewood?

Nadhal Eadeh

Re: Mayor George Being Setup To Take The Fall?

Postby Nadhal Eadeh » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:55 am

1. Mayor George should be very aggressive on the redevelopment of the former hospital site. COVID changed healthcare and I’m sure the contract language was written pre-pandemic. As public safety director, I’m sure she has emergency powers. I would actively solicit bids for another hospital system.

2. Does this sound radical? People need healthcare and pandemics are now part of American life. Health spending is skyrocketing and Lakewood is losing out.

3. Time to shift thinking back to public health and away from bars and retail shopping.

4. I’ll challenge every member of this council, especially those who call themselves “progressives”. There is nothing progressive about shopping and subsidized housing for the wealthy. Face it: retail is dead!

5. George needs to go on offense……..

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:03 am

Bill Call wrote:I heard a few people tell me that the lack of development at the Lakewood Hospital site is the fault of Mayor George. Since these people where Summer supporters I didn't think much about it.

I wonder, is this part of a larger whisper campaign?

Should the Mayor get ahead of this issue?

If so a good start would be a full accounting of the distribution of the Hospitals assets.

What ever happened to Build Lakewood?

Bill, I think that you and I both know that this will never happen. The State Auditor's local team made it very clear that they would do nothing. No government agency was prepared to review this except the Ohio Ethics Commission.

A generational change has taken place and like most generational changes the wisdom of the elders will be disregarded.

And, based upon what we all witnessed, the new generation has every right to disregard such negative public policy outcomes; and every right to make their own mistakes.

The redevelopment of the former hospital site is inevitable. The past costs are known. The future costs remain in the future. While past performance is never a guarantee of future outcomes, I don't see a positive outcome for anyone on this.

The quality of life decisions related to healthcare have already been made and implemented. I'm trying to focus on some other quality of life issues for the time being.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:47 am

I largely concur with Mr. Eadeh.

He represents the generational change that I speak of.

No one on this forum has a deeper understanding of the contemporary dynamics in healthcare than he does.

It is his profession.

To again rely upon the old planning efforts of the Summers administration as a reboot is frankly a recipe for failure.

Those planning efforts were obsolete the day they issued the RFPs. At least one RFP was tainted by obvious cronyism; eventually resulting in the empty hole at Detroit and Belle.

I have heard nothing significant about the revamped development planning with Casto.

What I do know is that we all are still in the midst of a pandemic of historic proportions, hospitals have case loads now greater than a year ago, and Lakewood has nothing. I repeat nothing!

Thank you, Mr. Summers, thank you Mr. Haber, thank you LHA, thank you LHF.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:59 pm

As I love to point out, for the many that say this, and that we must do something NOW.

The last group took over tens years working in secret with many people and groups to come up with that farce of a plan that was doomed to fail from day one.

Perhaps this time, we could take time, plan openly and come up with something better.

This is 100% on Ed FitzGerald, Mike Summers, Tom Bullock and John Litten. any one of the could have told the truth early on and saved this city over $278 million dollars. Instead they all thought of their future before ours.

Back to what to put there, it is insane to put anything there outside of 6o story high rise, or healthcare. And no one is going to do that.

So maybe we see what shakes out after the pandemic, where the smart money is going, and then do something.

Anything else is as foolish as the last group, and that has broken the city.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:59 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:As I love to point out, for the many that say this, and that we must do something NOW.

The last group took over tens years working in secret with many people and groups to come up with that farce of a plan that was doomed to fail from day one.

Perhaps this time, we could take time, plan openly and come up with something better.

This is 100% on Ed FitzGerald, Mike Summers, Tom Bullock and John Litten. any one of the could have told the truth early on and saved this city over $278 million dollars. Instead they all thought of their future before ours.

Back to what to put there, it is insane to put anything there outside of 6o story high rise, or healthcare. And no one is going to do that.

So maybe we see what shakes out after the pandemic, where the smart money is going, and then do something.

Doing something "NOW" and the rest of your post are contradictory.
I agree that the City should wait until after the pandemic and then take its time coming up with the best plan possible, and not rush to do something "NOW."
But if they aren't in the initial planning/discussion stages "NOW", that also would be a mistake, and someone should take the fall for that.

I saw Canada Geese on the site of the former hospital the other day. To my knowledge, Canada Geese only do one thing: poop. How appropriate.
Maybe the City should authorize people to walk leashed dogs on the site. It worked wonders for the geese in Lakewood Park.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:15 am

Dan

Sorry to confuse.

My post was what I say to people that need something now.

Common sense would say no.

But Lakewood lost its common sense a couple years after Critical Thought was dropped.

We have a bunch of amateurs chasing shiny objects.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
cmager

Postby cmager » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:05 pm

Dems "play government" while Republicans seize control. Republicans know the wheels of justice turn slowly or not at all, and worst case they beg forgiveness. This makes Dems open to attack for "doing nothing," and sometimes rightfully so.

Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:13 pm

cmager wrote:Dems "play government" while Republicans seize control. Republicans know the wheels of justice turn slowly or not at all, and worst case they beg forgiveness. This makes Dems open to attack for "doing nothing," and sometimes rightfully so.

What about "Democrats" who are actually Republicans is disguise? (wink-wink, nod-nod)

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:19 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:As I love to point out, for the many that say this, and that we must do something NOW.

Jim O'Bryan nails this on its head! This needs to be done openly with broad civic participation and without external "steering" by vested interests.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”