Election Results Are In

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Election Results Are In

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:51 pm

Election Results - 6 move on
Council-At-Large # Votes Percentage

Tristan Rader 2,763 19.26%
Sarah Kepple 2,507 17.47%
Laura Rodriguez Carbone 2,078 14.48%
Tom Bullock 2,042 14.23%
Mark Schneider 1,825 12.72%
Kyle Baker 1,685 11.74%
Susannah Selnick 992 6.91%
Keith Davey 455 3.17%

Lakewood Municipal Judge - 2 move on
Tess Neff 2,427 44.30%
Sara Fagnilli 2,140 39.07%
Brian Taubman 911 17.68%

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Leo Wetula

Re: Election Results Are In

Postby Leo Wetula » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:37 pm

This is an honest question. This may likely be the last election I experience in Lakewood. Is there anyone to vote for for City Council? When I get advertisements/cards in the mail listing candidates' various endorsements, I mostly think to myself, "now that you have told me that, there is no way I am going to vote for you." Not to pick on any particular candidate, but one one card I received yesterday said the guy was formerly a member of the Lakewood Planning Commission. Um, sorry, no. Not interested in anyone who have ever had a role in managing this City. Is that bad of me?

Signed, Grumpy (or, perhaps just fed up)

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:16 am

Leo Wetula wrote:This is an honest question. This may likely be the last election I experience in Lakewood. Is there anyone to vote for for City Council? When I get advertisements/cards in the mail listing candidates' various endorsements, I mostly think to myself, "now that you have told me that, there is no way I am going to vote for you." Not to pick on any particular candidate, but one one card I received yesterday said the guy was formerly a member of the Lakewood Planning Commission. Um, sorry, no. Not interested in anyone who have ever had a role in managing this City. Is that bad of me?

Signed, Grumpy (or, perhaps just fed up)

Leo

I have been staying out of elections, but I appreciate your thoughts, and partially agree with you.

The members of City Hall that were there during the FitzGerald/Summers Administration which includes in this election Tom Bullock, openly fought in court the residence rights to oversee the administration, through public record requests. This alone would make most people understand that person is not fit for public office.

Of course Mr. Bullock went much farther he worked to shout down, lie and cover-up for his years of work on Council and LHA to close our hospital. Closing the hospital is not the issue, some wanted it closed, some didn't. The fact that an elected official would champion a fight against the residents right to know the truth is appalling. Not forgivable. This is Trump BS we will do what we want, say what we want, and slow you down in the courts, even destroying documents.

Might be a great person to drink with, but a terrible public official.

Dan O'Malley and Tristan and Mayor George were on Council through some of this, at no point did they support lying to residents, or covering up documents. Actually they joined the fight for documents.

Next is actual awareness of this city and our history. I spoke with one candidate who was eager to say, "We need to concentrate on the future." I agree, but unless you know how deep the lying and the rot were, you have no idea what to do down the road. Ignorance is a terrible plank in any political platform.

From there look at who is backing who, and think about why?

The thieves of the hospital debacle are still very active in Lakewood politics and non-profits.

Which gets to my my final point.Lakewoodites do not seem to be sharp enough to understand Government and how it works. Instead they tend to boil it down to friendships and tribes. Think I am lying, I know of only one candidate that has spoken of doing anything NEW or different. Everyone else is riding the couttails of tribes and friends. I mean who would vote for anyone that does not have a platform beyond SAFE, CLEAN, WALKABLE.

On candidate has never sent out a flyer without lots of kids, yet has none. Another is using a borrowed dog. Another speaks of...

As long as this city elects friends instead of visionaries, or competent managers, they will never be willing to hold them accountable the next time a Mayor gives his friends over $300 million in publicly owned assets to manage and have in private.

Oh that's right, we no longer have anywhere near that value in assets left.

VOTE

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:27 am

Given the poor public policy outcomes of the last decade, Lakewood faces a rough future and "more of the same" would lead to a repetition of past mistakes and outcomes and continue an "ethos" that has proven legally problematic.

While I have not had dialogue with all of the candidates, I did speak with many and the only one that clearly stood out for me for my vote was Laura Rodriguez-Carbone.

Given that the last administration wrecked local healthcare, Rodriguez-Carbone brings the public policy expertise in healthcare that we now lack and that was disregarded for a decade.

I will make this final point in her favor. No other candidate that I spoke with had any (and I mean any) real understanding on the local healthcare deficits during this global pandemic.

I did not have meaningful conversations with either Tristan Rader or Sarah Kepple though I did meet both briefly.

Professional obligations kept me from doing more reach-out this fall. I had hoped to talk with all candidates.

Clearly, Kyle Baker is well-qualified, but I think the city has been failed by its planning functions in recent years and I didn't hear anything fresh on that front.

Mark Schnieder is also well-qualified and gets extra points for his door-to-door campaign style. I thank him for the amount of time that he spent with me on several occasions.

Mr. Wetula, that is my two-cents worth of opinion.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”