O'Malley Budget Priorities Include Hazard Pay, Park Improvements, Redevelopment

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

O'Malley Budget Priorities Include Hazard Pay, Park Improvements, Redevelopment

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:20 pm

Lakewood City Council President Daniel J. O'Malley announced his top priorities for council's upcoming 2022 budget discussions. They include the following:

Replenish the Property Acquisition Fund
Allow for the city of Lakewood to acquire blighted property for strategic public use or for redevelopment.
Skate Park improvements (co-sponsored with Council Vice President John Litten)
Add a concrete skate bowl, shade structures, and other improvements to the Lakewood Park Skate Park
Hazard pay for essential workers
Using an agreed-upon formula, provide retroactive hazard pay bonuses (March 2020-present) for eligible essential workers in the city of Lakewood.
Madison Park Master Plan
Engage an expert park-planning consultant (in similar fashion to Wagar Park and Cove Park processes) to facilitate community input and make formal near- and long-term recommendations for improvements at Madison Park.

"For Lakewood's first responders and other essential employees, working from home during COVID was not an option," O'Malley said. "They put their lives and health on the line to continue serving the public, and it's time we acknowledged their sacrifices with overdue hazard pay."

"The city's Property Acquisition Fund is nearly depleted," O'Malley said. "This fund has been a vital tool for acquiring blighted properties and positioning them for redevelopment. We should replenish the fund to allow for its continued success."

Among the properties the city has previously acquired via the Property Acquisition Fund are the Hilliard Theater, Cove Church, and Trinity Lutheran Church.

Daniel J. O'Malley
Lakewood City Council President
Councilmember, Ward 4
Council Office: (216) 529-6055
www.onelakewood.com

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Mark Kindt

Re: O'Malley Budget Priorities Include Hazard Pay, Park Improvements, Redevelopment

Postby Mark Kindt » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:10 am

I appreciate learning about these budget priorities, but I was surprised to note that none of the listed budget priorities related to healthcare at all.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”