The Same Old City Council - Stay the Course

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Richard Baker

The Same Old City Council - Stay the Course

Postby Richard Baker » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:13 pm

City of Lakewood residents are clones of Detroit, they keep voting in the same incumbents that allow the inmates to manage the asylum and tax it out of existence. What is surprising, one incumbent was on the City Council when they voted to close the hospital that provided health care to 55,000 people. The city may not have candidates run on major parties lines, but you can be assured its managed by Democrats.

Oh, voter turn out was an embarrassment.

Jim O'Bryan

Re: The Same Old City Council - Stay the Course

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:49 am

Richard Baker wrote:Oh, voter turn out was an embarrassment.

Total agreement.

"Bad officials are the ones elected by good citizens who do not vote." George Jean Nathan

The fact that Bullock made it through underlines Lakewoodites do not believe in oversight of government officials.

Bullock who lied, schemed, misdirected and gave in to supporters while costing the city over a half of million dollars in lost lawsuits and legal fees skates through.

It is an embarrassment.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Mark Kindt

Re: The Same Old City Council - Stay the Course

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:45 am

Lakewood's Non-partisan Ballot Is Counterproductive

I agree with both Richard and Jim today.

One effect of the nonpartisan ballot in Lakewood is low voter turnout and participation.

The other effect of the nonpartisan ballot is "go along to get along" group-think that results in poor (and by "poor", I mean "terrible") outcomes in public policy.

While I disagree with many Republican policies, their exclusion from the public policy debate is detrimental to good government and vigorous public debate.

In a partisan race, there would have been more interest and more latitude in defeating this tiresome incumbent.

Nonpartisan races are boring and promote disengagement from the electoral process.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”