When Lakewoodites Move

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

When Lakewoodites Move

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:58 am

Has anyone else noticed, that when people move from Lakewood for the most part, they love coming back to discussion areas for years afterwards to comment or get involved in Lakewood issues or politics.

Many act like 16-year-olds breaking up with their first girlfriend. They cannot say enough crap about Lakewood and "I told you so."

I have friends that moved because of the cost of living here and the time was right to cash out. Reading their crap you would think the city residents, businesses and everyone at City Hall worked overtime to run their ass out of town. Every time, and I speak of about a couple handful of different families, it was taxes and time to cash out or other reasons such as work. The second the check cleared on their home, "Lakewood is turning Ghetto, I am so glad I..."

Really your new life is so grand that you spend you time on Lakewood boards talking shit? Great new life?

We don't hate you for bailing. We understand you couldn't afford it any longer. We don't call you "a poor ass lowlife." No we wish the best for you.

That is until you come back talking smack that is normally just social media faux rage no fact based bullshit.

Just stop the hate and move on.

Carry on.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
ryan costa

Re: When Lakewoodites Move

Postby ryan costa » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:46 pm

If Lakewood were "turning ghetto" the prices of real estate would be falling.
the prices are higher than the previous bubble.
there are small flare ups of crimes, usually committed by people that do not live there.

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:12 am

ryan costa wrote:If Lakewood were "turning ghetto" the prices of real estate would be falling.
the prices are higher than the previous bubble.
there are small flare ups of crimes, usually committed by people that do not live there.

One of my favorite stories was told to me by a friend. It went like this...

Yeah my neighbor told me time to see, better move Lakewood is getting bad. When I asked him what he meant, he said, Well you know crime is up and those people are moving in. When I asked what people he said, "Your know, the wrong kind." as I pushed him more he explain that Lakewood was not like the Lakewood he moved to, and it was all falling apart. I asked, "Well what happened?" His answer was, "Oh he died about 12 years ago." That was from Paul Tepley who passed away about 7 years ago.

The gist of the story is, someone is always claiming the sky is falling.

The second longest running narrative in Lakewood is "It's getting bad." Actually Lakewood is more peaceful than I remember in the past.

Do we need to get tough on crime? ALWAYS.

But to get back to the thread, I find it particularly distasteful and childish, when the stones come from those who fled for other reasons.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

mjkuhns

Postby mjkuhns » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:23 am

"We should never eat here again, the food is terrible!"

"You said it, and such small portions too!"

:: matt kuhns ::
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:53 pm

For the record, the only major fault I found in Lakewood is the lack of single-level houses. I see less to complain about in Lakewood than several years ago.
- written from my new ranch-style residence in Westlake

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:42 am

Dan Alaimo wrote:For the record, the only major fault I found in Lakewood is the lack of single-level houses. I see less to complain about in Lakewood than several years ago.
- written from my new ranch-style residence in Westlake

Dan, Matt, others

It is not they should never eat here again. No one said that. It is not that they are not welcome here, No one ever said that. It is not that they should turn their back on Lakewood forever, that is silly and very extreme.

My post had nothing to do with that.

What my post has to do with a handful of people, I know that moved because of cost, divorce, etc. Now banging the community boards with the infamous, "I told you Lakewood was going Ghetto." and similar comments. Proclaiming themselves "Nostradamus of Hindsight," and foretelling the past. Actually most used to brag about living here. One even started one of the hundreds of community boards of hate out there to defend Lakewood. I swear to god.

Deal closes, turn on the spigot of hate and trash talking.

To further clarify, had they been forced out by crime, or hoods or fear, I would not have thought about their hypocritical turn.

Dan, Matt we have had them here on the Deck, loving Lakewood on Monday, new job in let's say Akron, they move speaking highly of everyone. They post a photo of their new home and start bragging on how they moved up in life. Everything is better here. But they still live on Lakewood boards 24/7/365.

The simple question is why? Why not just get on with your life. I know for a fact no one has wished any of these people ill will. The city has not or ever collectively shun them.

So why they hate, why the comments, why the mud throwing.

The only thing that readily comes to mind are kids dating, and when the break up happens, the other person becomes evil and all that is wrong in the world.

IMHO it is not only childish, it shows a real emptiness now in their lives.

I feel sorry for them. Everyone should be able to be comfortable in their homes, lives and skin, everyone.

When I move, and I am sure someday I will either move from my house to somewhere else or the grave, I will not come back to throw shit on Lakewood from out of town and behind the bushes.I'll remember the good times, and hope the best for everyone here.

I would suggest for all of you, find a hobby.

Dan, you my friend are a wonderful breath of fresh air in this revolving door.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

jkocinski

Postby jkocinski » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:34 am

Some of the best memories of my life happened in Lakewood. I will never forget them. Lakewood helped to shape the man person that I am. Just because I have moved, that isnt going to change that fact.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:46 am

jkocinski wrote:Some of the best memories of my life happened in Lakewood. I will never forget them. Lakewood helped to shape the man person that I am. Just because I have moved, that isnt going to change that fact.

Thank you, but then you were always a fair minded person.

As I have said many times to you, enjoy your new home and life, and don't be a stranger.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

mjkuhns

Postby mjkuhns » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:14 am

mjkuhns wrote:"We should never eat here again, the food is terrible!"

"You said it, and such small portions too!"

In case I was being too obscure, I was referencing an old joke popularized by Woody Allen, as commentary on any complaints circulating that Lakewood is "going ghetto" and too expensive, as well.

:: matt kuhns ::

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”