UPDATED - Woman Killed In Accident At West 117 - 4PM

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

UPDATED - Woman Killed In Accident At West 117 - 4PM

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:30 pm

From Lakewood Police Department

The Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner has identified the party fatally struck by a vehicle at West 117th Street and Clifton Boulevard as Karen Mack, a 57-year-old resident of Clifton Boulevard in Cleveland.

The incident remains under investigation at this time.

Around 4pm a call went out for female pedestrian that had been struck by a truck at West 117 and Clifton.

Police were on the scene in second, as the caller pleaded with ambulances a report went out "Not doing good."

Fire and Ambulances were there within a couple minutes, and police already had the streets shut down.
Calls continued coming in from people in the crowd that was gathering including paramedics.
Even with all this, she was pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver, a male from Parma, remained at the scene and was not arrested or charge as of this time.

Woman's name has been withheld pending notification of family.

Prayers go out to all.

Please be careful this holiday season.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Amy Martin

Re: Woman Killed In Accident At West 117 - 4PM

Postby Amy Martin » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:47 am

This accident was horrific and resonates with me on a personal level.

I have recently retired due to a heart condition and walk anywhere between 45 - 50 miles a week as part of my rehab. I have walked almost every day since June 23rd throughout Lakewood. Rarely does one of those walks occur without someone making a right turn at an intersection almost hitting me in the crosswalk. I wear reflective gear to make myself visible to drivers, but most have a tendency to only look one way before making a turn. I've had numerous close calls.

I don't know the facts of what happened in this case, but it appears that the woman was walking in the crosswalk with the light in her favor.

I implore all drivers making a turn at any intersection - please look BOTH WAYS before proceeding into that intersection.

pj bennett

Postby pj bennett » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:03 pm

Amy, I understand your apprehension. I have always found walking in Lakewood to be a hazardous activity. While there is a large number of responsible drivers, there is a large number of impatient and/or impaired drivers, who are a real threat to pedestrians. Walkers are literally putting their lives into the hands of others.

Back in the '70's, I witnessed (at the corner of Warren/ Detroit) a driver going nuts because the pedestrian was slow in crossing the street. The driver was honking and yelling. Well, the pedestrian was using a white cane. Fortunately, the vision-impaired person made it safely across the street.

I honestly don't see the problem ever getting resolved.
If anything, it's worse, what with the distraction of a mobile phone being thrown into the mix.

While many will disagree, I feel safer walking in downtown Cleveland.
I wish I could say the same about Lakewood.

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:18 pm

I do not cross a street without making eye contact with the drivers in the intersection. You think they will obey the signs, but the don’t. If I can’t have them look at me to verify they see me, I just wait. A shame it’s come to that.

And Amy, good luck on your rehab program! It sounds like you are off to a great start - I’m impressed at your mileage!

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”