Need Radon testing guy / gal.

Have questions? Answers? Experiences to share?

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

Jim DeVito

Need Radon testing guy / gal.

Postby Jim DeVito » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:37 pm

Seems to me that people who own radon testing companies don't want money.

No joke I have had two radon testing companies make appointments for me to give them money in return for a service, neither one of them showed up or called!

Anyone local likes taking money ? (for radon testing ;-) )

Thanks!!

Bryan Schwegler

Re: Need Radon testing guy / gal.

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:09 pm

Does it have to be professionally done? I've seen home testing kits available before.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:22 pm

Jim---interesting that you bring that up. I haven't seen radon in the "news" for a few years. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be a concern, but maybe you should do an analysis of why you are currently concerned and if that applies to you today.
I think that rather than reacting to today's environmental risk, that if you just try and act with common sense, that many of these hazards (and I don't mean to minimize the hazard aspect) will be manageable by a normal homeowner.
For instance, if you really thought that radon was a potential hazard in your house, maybe an historical search of prior homeowners is in order to see if radon has impacted their life.

Just sayin'

Stan

Jim DeVito

Postby Jim DeVito » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:40 pm

Stan,

When we bought the house almost 3 years ago there was a radon test done that showed high levels of the gas in the basement. That was not too surprising since the NEO region is a know "hot spot" for natural uranium/radium deposits.

That said the previous homeowner had a "radon mitigation system" installed. We were instructed to have the levels re tested in two years to make sure the system was removing the gas as it accumulated in the basement.

Brian,

Thanks, I will have to look into those kits.

Return to “Lakewood House Talk”