The eternal furnace

Have questions? Answers? Experiences to share?

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

Will Brown

The eternal furnace

Postby Will Brown » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:58 pm

We have a high efficiency forced air gas furnace. I have it regularly maintained.

With the current cold snap, the furnace has been running constantly during the day, yet the temperature never gets above 68 or 69 (its programmed for 70 during the day; it stops at night when it is programmed for 63).

This isn't the first time we have had cold weather, but it is the first time the furnace has exhibited this behaviour. Naturally, this happens on a holiday weekend when service is at a premium. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the furnace; I thought perhaps the filter we blocked, but the behaviour continued even with the filter removed.

I'm starting to wonder whether the gas company is adulterating the gas?

Society in every state is a blessing, but the Government even in its best state is but a necessary evil...
Paul Schrimpf

Re: The eternal furnace

Postby Paul Schrimpf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:35 pm

Modern furnaces are pretty sensitive and have more parts to fail .. prob need to call service. Other than the efficiency issue it's why I love our vintage 1958 gravity boiler. literally no moving parts, other than the hot water.

Will Brown

Postby Will Brown » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:24 am

I called them after the holiday. It is an older furnace and the company that made it is no longer in that business, so they have to get parts from other sources. They had replaced the igniter a month ago, but it turned out the substitute included a flame sensor, while my furnace wanted a separate flame sensor. With the combined sensor, it was cycling on and off; when they located a replacement that matched what my furnace wanted, all was well.

I miss our old furnace; it put out hot air. These new ones put out tepid air, but more of it, so you always feel a draft. I have a spare chimney, and am toying with the idea of a wood burner. All I need is a wood lot, a truck, and a chain saw.

Society in every state is a blessing, but the Government even in its best state is but a necessary evil...
Paul Schrimpf

Postby Paul Schrimpf » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:51 pm

Wow, that's a bummer. I occasionally consider the benefits of a higher efficiency unit but I hear too many stories like yours.

Return to “Lakewood House Talk”